1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoked weed for the first time

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So tonight I went out to a party and I actually smoked weed for the first time. This isn’t like bragging or anything, I feel pretty bad about it but I really liked it. I’ve smoked before but only a normal nicotine cigarette, not weed. Well, I mean now I have. I’d already been drinking a lot and other people at the party were doing it and I just felt ready to go. There were like three other people who told me what to do and they like heated up the bong for me. I didn’t expect to like it because I hate normal cigarettes, they’re nasty but I thought that
    the weed didn’t taste too bad. Still nasty but more tolerable. It hurt though, my lungs and throat still hurt and it’s probably five or six hours later but that’s to be expected I guess. I coughed a lot, more than with cigarettes. By the way, I don’t smoke normally. I just don’t get why people like cigarettes or what the appeal is. But honestly, I think I can understand weed. I still feel really good mentally…not so good physically, my breath is short and my lungs hurt but I’ll be fine. I was worried because I have severe anxiety and I’ve heard weed can cause anxiety attacks but the people I was with were telling me not to freak out about smoking or else I’d have a bad trip. So I just didn’t freak out. It wasn’t really like in the movies. I mean, kind of but it’s really exaggerated in the movies. Everything just felt really funny and I did kind of trip out at one point I guess because I thought the fairy lights my friend had hung up on her fence were the city line but I’m okay now. I’m really tired so I’m gonna go to bed as soon as I’m finished this.

I guess the only reason I felt bad is because my mom doesn’t know that I smoked weed or that I’ve ever smoked in the first place. Like I was even going to go home hours earlier than I did but I had to wait because my eyes were all glazed and red and I couldn’t go home like that. My pupils looked kind of dilated but I don’t know if that’s because it was dark. Then my mom drove me home and said I smelt like smoke and I just told her it was because we’d had a bonfire, which was true but I don’t know if she believed me. I think I’m in the clear. I don’t think that the five seconds I was smoking weed would make me smell like smoke anyway. It’s more likely the two hours that I spent by the bonfire.

I need some discouragement because I think I’d definitely smoke weed again. It was more fun to me than drinking. So I can’t really see any downside to doing it but I don’t want to become a stoner lol. Or is it okay if you do it in moderation, like drinking? Will I eventually get sick, like from cigarettes or is it different?

deadseal likes this.
  2. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, drugs are technically bad for you. But using marijuana in moderation is ok. You should be aware of what ever you are putting into your body is though. If you don't live in a state where it is regulated and sold at dispensaries, it can have things in and on it that can harm you. The chances of getting laced marijuana is low but it is a thing that happens and worth to be cautious for.
    There is the chance you might not like it in the future, and not enjoy it and make you feel sick.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm remembering correctly, you have a history of mood disorders (depression, anxiety, etc.) Weed acts on the dopamine system and can further destabilize mood issues. There is also tremendous variation in different strains of weed, which can cause totally different reactions.

Additionally, one of the issues, if you do have problems with anxiety and depression... because weed acts on the dopamine system, for someone who already has mood issues, it's going to be habit-forming very quickly for you. To put it crassly, you'd probably like heroin if you were to do that, as most people find the feeling pleasant... but it is quickly addictive and very destructive, which is why most people have the common sense not to try it in the first place. Weed acts on the same neural pathways, but in a less aggressive way, and so, for those who have addictive tendencies (i.e, preexisting anxiety, depression, or other neural pathway deficiencies) it can be very addictive. Part of the reason for that is that the weed that has been cultivated and engineered in the past 15 years is far more concentrated and potent than weed of 20 or 30 years ago. And with the potency of action comes a vastly increased risk of dependency.

So while weed is, in terms of addiction potential, less serious than other, harder drugs, in your case, if you continue to use it, it will almost certainly create dependency. In terms of addiction treatment, weed dependency is one of the fastest growing causes of new admissions to treatment centers.

If it were me, given your history, I would avoid it entirely. I would also avoid alcohol for the same reasons.

PatrickUK likes this.
  4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a way it's like alcohol - many people do it every now and then socially no problem, but some people quickly become dependent. Being honest, I don't know anybody who has ruined their life by weed. I know tons of people that smoke weed every now and then and aren't addicted. But some people get dependent on it and smoke weed multiple times a day. Like Chip said, it's easy to become dependent on it and feel like you can't sleep/focus or handle your anxiety without it. It isn't a good coping mechanism and the price adds up quick.

Cigarettes have tobacco (obviously) but also have a shit ton of extra chemicals added in - so you're inhaling smoke PLUS all those cancer causing chemicals. Weed doesn't have those extras added in, so it isn't as damaging to your lungs. HOWEVER, your lungs aren't meant to have burning hot smoke in them, and that smoke also has microscopic particles of burnt weed that are now in your lungs. Definitely not ideal.

The weed smell sticks to your mouth area for a couple hours for sure. The smell isn't nearly as permanent as cigarette smoke, but can easily cause paranoia over getting caught.

As @Shallow waters said, be careful where you get it. Only from sources/friends you trust, and NEVER get weed pre-ground up (its much easier for them to mix other bad things in). And don't mix with any other drugs. Tobacco and weed does significant more damage to your lungs than either would alone. And speaking from personal experience, some of the worst anxiety/paranoia I have ever felt was because of alcohol and weed mixed together. After several bad times, I've vowed never to mix lmao

#4 HM03, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually a little bit deceptive. While weed doesn't have a bunch of added chemicals, it does have, naturally, about 50 chemical components in it that can be harmful to lung tissue, while tobacco in its natural form has only a few chemical components, many of which are extremely damaging. So it really isn't at all accurate to say that weed is less damaging to your lungs; it's just damage from combination of natural components as opposed to added chemicals. Don't get the idea that weed is in any way less damaging to lungs or to your body; it isn't.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The psychological stuff Chip said is the ideal scenario to just not do it, but....

Mixing alcohol and marijuana is called being cross-faded. A few people (like me) enjoy it greatly, but most people hate it and it makes them feel paranoid/sick etc. so I would not recommend it.

I echo the point above about not ever getting it from anyone you don't know very well, it's extremely easy for people to mess with it.

People really don't get "addicted" to it, they just get into the habit of using it so much that it becomes a crutch for them and they trick themselves into thinking they need it even though nothing would happen if they stopped like with other drug withdrawal issues. A real example is one of my friends who smokes it literally 12 times a day (he sells too, so it's all free for him anyway). Despite doing it 12 times a day for a few years, he frequently stops with no issues at all for a tolerance break or job interview etc. so is not addicted, just really likes it.

#6 Destin, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is simply not true. As I said above, the number of people being admitted to treatment for substance use disorders with marijuana as the primary drug has skyrocketed in the past 5 years, largely as a result of the dramatically increased THC purity, which approaches 90% in some forms of the drug.

The impact of THC on the dopamine system, especially purified THC, is strong, and thus the addictive pattern emerges. Additionally, cannabis-induced emesis, a recent issue that has started showing up in emergency rooms, is a serious issue; people are vomiting uncontrollably, sometimes for up to 5-7 days, as a side-effect of high-dose, high-purity cannabis consumption. The condition is resistant to typical anti-emetic drugs and is difficult to manage. Cannabis-induced psychosis is another new issue that is showing up with alarming frequency in ERs, and is also something that typically lasts several days and, in some cases, even longer.

The issue with addiction is important to understand because the profession now recognizes addiction in a different context then it did 15 or 20 years ago. Addiction is a biopsychosocial disorder that is no longer measured simply by physical dependence; the psychological need to use is extremely powerful and often as important as the physical cravings and risk of withdrawal, and the loss of productivity, and incidence of depression and anxiety that come about with extended withdrawal can be extremely severe. Many people in recovery from cannabis have stated that long-term withdrawal and recovery was almost worse than with other drugs with more severe withdrawal symptoms, simply because the withdrawal and recovery process drags on for so long.

Anyone who is smoking 12 times a day is almost certainly dependent. The half-life of marijuana is pretty long, as it takes far longer to exit the system, making withdrawal symptoms less acute, when compared to something like opiates, methamphetamine, or cocaine. But the issue with marijuana withdrawal is the symptoms come up over months rather than hours, and typically include severe depression, lethargy, lack of interest in engaging with people or activities... all of which are a direct result of its influence on the dopamine system.

It is a gross disservice to people to represent this drug as non-addictive. I have worked firsthand with a number of individuals who have really struggled to get free of marijuana dependency, simply because of the very long half-life. It can take more than 6 months after last use for the neurotransmitter systems to come back to a normal state, and the comment I most frequently hear is that people had no idea how fucked up and 'numbed out' they were until they got to the 6 to 8 month mark, at which case, they commonly describe the experience as the "lifting of a fog they didn't know they were in."

#7 Chip, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    12 times a day seems entirely excessive, like eventually shut down your kidneys excessive. Colorado has actually seen an increase in kidney failure caused by the high strength of the products people smoke or eat now that it is legal.

The thing to keep in mind, is even if it is legal where ever you live, that does not mean you won't get fired from your job for using it.

Destin likes this.
  9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bottom line, smoking weed is bad for your lungs and is addictive. While maybe not as addictive as harder drugs or nicotine. But you have to keep in mind that, like Chip said, if you have pre-existing mental health issues or an addictive personality it may not be a good idea.

That being said, if you are going to smoke it anyway you should educate yourself on the effects, strains, methods of use, and so on. Be moderate and only smoke sometimes (it’s better that way because your tolerance will stay low and it will take less to get you high). If you notice yourself smoking every day, multiple times a day, or using it as a form of escapism from mental health issues to the point that it messes with your every day functioning - put the brakes on. It’s important to be mindful of your use, especially if you have depression.

You could look into edibles or vape pens because they are not as hard on your lungs. Disclaimer, I do smoke so I personally don’t see a problem with moderate use as long as you are aware of the physical and mental affects. I smoke about once every day or two and it helps with my anxiety, calms me down when I’m restless, and puts me to sleep (these effects are more common with the indica strain, as opposed to sativa which gives you more of a head high). I’m honest about my use with my doctor and therapist and am kept accountable by friends so I don’t overdue it.

But it is also very much a part of the culture where I live and accessibility, education, and high quality products are easy to find here. It is also legal for recreational use. I am not sure of the laws where you live, but that is something to keep in mind. Also, whether or not it would be worth it hiding your use from your mother is another factor. I don’t pretend to know what is best for you in your circumstances, I only caution you to be careful and mindful. It is a drug after all.

Like I said though, take my advice with a grain of salt as I am not a doctor. I am only sharing from personal experience.

#9 Kodo, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  10. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of suspicious of things like this though, because primary drug doesn't always mean that's what they're actually in rehab for. Weed is cheaper than other drugs, so even if they're really addicted to cocaine or something they'd still probably be using more weed than cocaine if they're not rich just because it's more affordable, which would make weed the primary drug they list instead of cocaine.

I don't deny that there are extreme cases where hospitalization happens, but it seems to only happen like that when the people do really stupid things like trying to smoke a month's worth of weed in an hour, not so much from average usage.

I'm not personally for or against it, but I recently found out that my dad who has always been really, reeeeeeeally anti-marijuana his entire life has started incorporating marijuana into his medical practice as a treatment, and even (legally) gives some to my teenage sister to help with her anxiety. He spent a huge amount of time researching the pros/cons of marijuana with other physicians and medical scientists before deciding to prescribe it to his patients, and apparently whatever he found so thoroughly convinced him of it's usefulness that he went from utterly hating it to giving it to his own daughter in less than a year.

11. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I smoked a lot of marijuana in 2013, it was really fun at first but by early 2014 I had a really bad time because I have the suspicion that someone slipped PCP into the shared bowl I was smoking from and I was last in line to get it. This lead to a 14 hour bad trip with indescribable psychological pain. Everyone in my circle says there was no PCP in the bowl, but the guy who passed the last puff to me was known to be a PCP user and I have a feeling he did something to the bowl. I said I wouldn't smoke again and for awhile I didn't. Either way, I tried smoking one more time in 2015 with my Mom, I was really drunk at the time and again, it started off fun, but quickly turned into a nightmare. Even my stoner friend's brother took one look at me and said to my stoner friend "don't give a guy with anxiety issues weed."

I wouldn't recommend marijuana. I think that as it's slowly legalized across the US, more and more information about the harmful psychological effects of it are going to come out about it. I swear up and down it made whatever psychological disorders I have worse and what's worse is I don't know the long term effects, so I could be damaged for life. I turned to alcohol in 2016 because it didn't cause me to have panic attacks and I drank three bottles of wine a week for two years-- again, it was fun for awhile, but I gained a ton of weight and when they weaned me off of my antidepressant, I started getting severe anxiety when I sobered up from alcohol, so I quit drinking, too. I'm still a nicotine user, I haven't been able to quit that, but marijuana is something I stay far away from. I'm not even sure if I believe it should be legalized. I think maybe it should be decriminalized, like, it's okay if you have it and you smoke it, but I don't think we should have dispensaries where just anybody can buy it.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The intake process for treatment looks specifically at which drugs are being abused, and how much, and other patterns that point to the drug of choice. For that matter, the ASAM/ASI tests used to identify the severity of addiction and the drug of choice look at patterns of drug use and desired drug use outside of factors such as availability and cost.

Furthermore, it would be pretty unlikely that someone whose drug of choice is weed would find a drug such as cocaine desirable, since their methods of action and impact on neural pathways are entirely different.

That's really surprising, especially since the anxiolytic effects of marijuana is not one of the best documented applications for it, and in some cases (as Benway describes) it can make anxiety a lot worse.

If your sister's anxiety is so severe that the only other choice for treating it would be benzodiazepines (Xanax/valium), then weed might be a possibility. But there are a lot of options, including some very effective non-medication options, that would be my first choice. Then again, I would not expect an ER physician to know the literature on mental health in detail, so I suppose if medication is the only option he's considering, weed would make sense. However, if he were aware of your issues, as well as the other non-medicine options, then he'd be really foolish to start her down that path.

#12 Chip, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Destin likes this.
  13. Demixl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be carefull drugs isn't such a good way to success

14. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is a somewhat old thread.
    As someone who has smoked weed nearly everyday since 2011, and have had a really hard time quitting it.
    I would highly advise anyone who is thinking about trying it, to just not.

It seems amazing at first.
    It feels like a medicine you’ve needed your whole life.
    Now it’s just a habit that I can’t seem to break.

I fully support medical use of cannabis though, some people can really benefit from it.
    I don’t think it should be considered medical if you’re smoking it though. There are far healthier ways to consume it.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Spot, I have to agree with all those who have cautioned you against using weed. You have a history of poor mental health and smoking weed will not help. There is overwhelming evidence that weed can have a severe negative impact on our mental health and I really think that's the last thing you need.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know some people who its helped, and others (like my brother) who it triggered underlying issues for. I don't like how paranoid it makes me, and don't get much enjoyment from the high, so I don't do it. Just try not to become dependent on it. If you're concerned about health benefits, there are ways to consume without getting high, and depending on where you live, could be a legal option.