1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helping out Students for Pride Month

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dionysios, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was substitute teaching today at a high school. During the last period one of the students seemed stressed. I asked what was the matter. She explained that the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) were having their end of year party but didn't have an adviser. No teacher was available and without an adult they couldn't use the school auditorium and watch the movie "Love Simon."

I smiled, showed them my rainbow ring and lanyard and agreed to serve as the adviser if the school permitted it. The girl jumped for joy. The administration approved my stepping in, so now I am with about 20 happy high students, painted with rainbow colors and wearing Pride flags as capes, eating popcorn and watching the movie.

It's so awesome seeing these young people freely celebrating their sexual identity. It made me marvel how much remarkable progress has been made since I was their age. I'm so happy to see these future LGBT men and women living their lives outside the closet! Wonderful!!!

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! You sound like the best teacher ever for those kids haha.

This is one of the coolest stories I've ever seen on this site too.

3. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had such a fantastic time! They were the sweetest, kindest group of kids I had the pleasure to interact with! Before the movie music from Abba played and they were all up on the stage dancing and celebrating the moment. We also chatted about being gay, trans, by etc... They knew I was gay, perhaps that was one reason they were so open with me. I told them that I was so happy that they were free to be themselves, something I did not have back in the day. I was stoked just watching their beaming faces. It was the highlight of my day celebrating Pride month with these wonderful young people!!

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The progress amazes me, too. I don't know about my old school system, but I gather it's much, much different than I remember.

I think I'm the most aware of stark contrast with my old college, mainly because I get regular news one way and another. I'm thinking that in my era if one was LGBT one hid in the closet, end of story. (Although I suppose some might have been out to close friends.) Today people are openly out, and even students in prominent positions are openly out. A much different world...and in about 1/3 of a century.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wholehardedly agree my friend. It's incredible how swiftly this acceptance of LGBT people has improved. These young people are fortunate, no, blessed, that they are coming of age at this tolerant and accepting time and not when we were young.

6. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm angry there isn't a way i can thumbs up this post!! That is such a beautiful event and so amazing of you!!

7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So kind! Many thanks. Thank you!

8. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this is great that you could step forward to do that for them!

I’m also impressed that the administration allowed a substitute to step in as an advisor for the GSA event. I’ve watched school systems use red tape in the past.

Example: I had the honor of speaking to a school board to support the recognition of a GSA at the high school. This was just a few years ago, while I was still “straight ally”. There were conservative members of the Board who felt it would be better to abolish all clubs rather than recognize the GSA. I wasn’t the only citizen who spoke for the GSA, and they went into executive session with their lawyer, and when they came out of executive session they voted (majority at least) to recognize the GSA!

9. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is wonderful. Your students were very lucky to have you as their teacher.

10. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I, myself, have been considering volunteering for an LGBT organization, to both help like minded people and just to meet people as well. And not only is it great that you helped out LGBT students, but it's always great to see a teacher (especially subs who often times treat their job as glorified babysitting) help out students no matter what the cause.