1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I came out on Instagram

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Leah061, May 6, 2019.

1. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently bought a t shirt from Anthropologie that says “femme” across the top. Honestly I'm obsessed with it because straight people don't think it means anything, or that it's just French for "woman", or some feminist stance or whatever, but given that gay people know it's a lesbian term to describe a feminine lesbian, it's the perfect way to go about my day being visible to other gay people while flying under straight people's radar. Might be wishful thinking, but I do feel like I've gotten a few looks from other girls in that shirt.

Anyway, I took a selfie of me in the shirt the other day and put it on my Instagram story, and I know not everyone who's seen my story will know what I'm trying to say with that shirt, but some will, particularly my gay friends who I haven't "officially" come out to but I still know that they know.

I just wanted to share because I'm proud of myself right now. Even if no one knows that I mean "femme" in the gay way, I know that I was still willing to put myself out there, and one step closer to being out to everyone.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apart from the aforementioned fact that "femme" means woman in French, I had no clue that it also meant something in the LGBTQ+ sense. That said, if you actually feel like you did come out, and some of your followers/friends might realize that, good for you! :grin:

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am French but definitely take the "femme" shirts as a "lesbian shirt", it's one of those where it could go both ways but wishful thinking me will assume the person is a femme lesbian and I will probably look, yes (to try and see if my gaydar pick up on her).

I also acknowledge that it means woman and could just be nothing.

Meander, Drizzle and Love4Ever like this.
  4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here. I use the word femme even in casual conversation now and I definitely mean it in a queer way. My parents and stuff don’t get it but I do use the word because I like it. Congrats on feeling confident!

Meander likes this.
  5. rainy30

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm
    That's awesome! I'm really happy for you that you felt comfortable to do that and share it on your story. These little victories and wins can make us feel stronger over time, and gradually we can feel more ready to begin coming out to others. I also recently 'outed' myself (by choice) on my Instagram stories too. My university was having this LGBTQ+ stall/market thing, and I shared a photo of it and wrote 'bi pride' and all this stuff. Don't know if anyone really paid much attention to it when they viewed my story, but hopefully more people know I'm bi now! Yeah, so, keep up the great work and keep your chin up high.

Drizzle likes this.
  6. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a footstep. Im happy you are another leap closer.

Love4Ever likes this.