1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Question (Sorta)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EcoMan, Mar 14, 2019.

1. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bit of an awkward question--

I have terrible hand-eye coordination and I also have pretty bad social anxiety (triggered by embarrassment or poor performance/failure, so getting my ass kicked repeatedly is triggering); so, I get very anxious playing extremely competitive games or ones that require lots of speed and hand-eye coordination (such as Smash Bros, for example). Also, I've never been diagnosed but think that I could be on the autism spectrum, so not sure if that has in role in all of this.

Anyone else have this weird issue or can relate? Also, would appreciate supportive comments.

2. Waffless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I have the same problem but I don't like competitive games I usually play sandboxes and when I do play a game like call of duty I only use shotguns so I one-shot people cause I have a massive trigger finger XD do you have steam they have lots of

3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fan of role-playing games, and most of the ones I like are turn based, so I get plenty of time to sit there and think about my next move without worrying about my character getting eaten or knocked off a cliff. I can literally walk off in the middle of a battle to make a drink without neeeding to pause the game.

There are some real time games I enjoy, but I either need a really dumbed down easy setting to play in that makes the enemies totally weak, or a cheat that allows infinite ammo, hit points or money.

4. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a gaming perspective, yeah, I would look for slower paced games. Maybe jrpgs, rpgs, or strategy games that are single player and less twitch reflex based. That and/or playing your shooter games, but turning the difficulty level down. You might actually find you get better at those over time. I’m by no means good at those, but I have gotten better over time. Remember, it’s supposed to be fun. If a game isn’t fun, you have permission to put it down and find another game that is. It’s meant to help you relax, not feel worse.

5. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Good Points. Any suggestions for Nintendo Switch games?

6. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your response. Any recommendations for Nintendo Switch games?

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    aint got one!

8. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on your taste. I enjoyed “Breath of the Wild” a LOT. I died a LOT early in the game, but it gets really, really fun once you get into it. And it’s more puzzle and rhythm based than twitch. I liked “Xenoblade Chronicles 2” a lot. I enjoyed its story and characters and it’s combat isn’t twitched based at all. It’s more about building up your characters and learning combos. Mario Odyssey is a lot of fun and it can sort of be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. The main storyline isn’t too hard to beat (and I’m terrible at platforming) but it’s got a bunch of bonus levels that are supposed to be super difficult. If you’ve never played it, Skyrim is fun and sort of relaxing.

There’s an obscene number of games on that system. Those are just sort of the ones I’ve enjoyed a lot on it. I’m a sucker for an RPG though.

9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This, all of this.

I really rarely play on-line because I dislike people, and I especially dislike getting yelled at by children who spend more time playing a stupid game than literally anything else. I don't have a switch so I can't recommend any games.

10. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, if you haven’t played “Gone Home”, it’s good and is nice and slow. Then Maybe Stardew valley. Bayonetta might be fun for you or it might stress you out. It’s at least single player, but it’s a fighter game. Fun story though.

11. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great. Thanks so much for the suggestions. This is helpful :slight_smile:

12. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem! If you try Breath of the Wild, just know you WILL die a lot early on. That’s ok. You don’t lose much if anything from dying. Part of the game is figuring out which enemies you’re strong enough to fight at different times and building yourself and your equipment up enough to take on stronger and stronger baddies. The dying is just part of that experimentation process to learn.

Everyone I know who played that game put no less than 100 hours in.

13. Loves books

I got a switch and have avoided all games where losing is a possibility. I spend hours playing Let’s Go Pikachu. My sister and her boyfriend came for a visit and I lost playing Mario kart angainst them because I never play it. They do want a switch now however, and my sister tried to talk me out of my old iPad mini, my Wii U and my fairly new laptop.