1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if you could rewrite a fairytale what would it be?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by found, Feb 17, 2019.

1. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hey,

i was wondering if you were to retell a classic fairytale or even nursery rhyme, and what would you have as the spin? from hansel and gretel, to jack and jill, to dorothy from the wizard of oz? adding more diversity, setting it in modern times, tell it from the "villains" side? i'm working on a modern retelling of jack and the bean stalk for my english class so wanted to hear your guys ideas for other retellings.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One could have a lot of fun with this. Especially if one is twisted and demented, like BMC77. LOL

I'd like to try different endings.

One thought that immediately hit: "Three Little Pigs". It ends with the wolf coming down the chimney and falling into a cauldron of hot water. In my version, the wolf is wearing an asbestos suit, which he donned thinking (rightly) that a chimney and fireplace are likely to be hot. He leaps out of the cauldron, whips the suit off, catches the pig, and it's the wolf's dinner time.

#2 BMC77, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    whats that?

4. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    lol just looked at your username and read the post agian and now i get it.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always enjoy retellings of Alice in Wonderland. Ones that expand on the world, tell it from different angles, gender swap characters, etc.

6. Loves books

I would prefer if the women didn’t end up marrying a guy they just met. Snow White and sleeping beauty both ended up with guys who kissed them when they were unconscious and these days that’s considered assault. We need women as strong as Mulan with the same ideas on marriage as Merida and Elsa. Actually I think that Merida and Elsa would make a cute couple. Personally I think the princesses need to grow a backbone, at least Hansel and Gretel had the brains to cook the witch. If we learned anything from fairytales it’s dont take food from strangers. Take a look at the kids show Sophia the First. If one of the other princesses grew up and got rescued by one of the kids, boy or girl they went to school with it would be more believable than marrying a guy you just met.

7. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Always wanted to rewrite The Little Mermaid. Make it about a merman falling in love with a prince. The way I believe the original author had imagined it. Maybe even give it a happy ending instead of a sad one.

Also wanted to rewrite Peter Pan, my all time favorite story as a child. When I was little I always wanted Wendy to stay in Neverland with TigerLilly.

8. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah that would be so sweet, what i was also thinking is that peter took captain hook to Neverland as a kid and feel in love with him and then sent him back to earth because "falling in love was to grownup-ish" and then captian hook understanding returns to neverland years later to have peter get mad and chop off his hand, the captian then start to grow hate for peter and wants him to grow up with him as well, thus trying to capture him.

9. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    what i was just thinking about that would be cool that if the princes used this love spell to make them fall in love with him. and then the book could be about the girl getting out of this relationship that was built on a lie.

10. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i would love one that is from the view of a male alice, is there one out there because boy will i eat that up.

11. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is such a brilliant concept. Let’s team up and make it happen.

12. found

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah it would be a really good idea. are you serious because im up for it.

13. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's not any that I'm aware of at the moment, but I'm sure there's something out there. I'd actually be interested in writing something like it myself...hmm

Alistair in Wonderland?

I may have found a new writing project to explore.

14. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, let's rewrite Hansel and Gretal!

Have the parents charged with child endangerment, violations of the chikd labor laws and abuse in forcing their hungry children to go into the dark woods to gather berries without adult supervision, food and water and pay.

Then have the children charged with assault and first degree murder for their roles in burning up in an oven a poor old woman who had kindly took them into her gingerbread home and fed them.

Oh, and if the kids claimed self defence because they claimed the old woman was a witch and was going to eat them, add additional charges for slander (after all, there was no proof the witch did that- as with other children, the witch ate the evidence) *grin*

The moral of the new fairytale - bad parenting breeds bad children!

15. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's probably one of those stories that has been done a hundred times already, but Cinderella. I would begin telling how the evil (soon-to-be) Wicked Step-mother lusted for an infant Cinderella's well-off Father while he was still married to her Mother; she winds up killing the Mom and seducing the Dad ultimately into marriage. She has a set of twins by him (who're instead of being the wicked step-sisters are her wicked half-sisters) they all grow up with the Step-mom treating the twins a little better than she treats Cinderella, but it doesn't really kick in until Cinderella's Father mysteriously passes on (but due to suspicion, his assets were frozen for distribution until an investigation took place). Cinderella practically becomes a slave to her sisters and step-mother, cooking and cleaning for them, when the day of the ball comes about the step-mom makes it practically impossible for her to attend by making her do extra chores (i.e. make the twins' dresses, do their hair and make-up, make their lunch, saddle/wash/brush the horses for the carriage, etc.) but of course she manages to finish her own dress by nightfall for the ball; seeing that it was better than their own, the twins destroy out of spite and envy, their mother instead of punishing them merely brushes it off and rejects the invitation to take Cinderella along with them to the ball. Devastated beyond belief, she prays to an image of her deceased Mother and Father, on the verge of abandoning their family home for good. Instead of a fairy godmother, an image of her parents descends to her, they re-instill the confidence in her that was lost and repair her damaged spirit, convincing her to repair the dress and take a horse-drawn cab to the ball hopeful she can make the last couple of hours. Once she arrives at the palace, all eyes are of course on her, the Prince is immediately smitten by her and her evil sisters and Step-mom scold her from the blur of the crowd of spectators who watch as they dance around the ballroom gracefully. They go off in another direction to talk, walk in the pale moonlight, discussing their dreams, personal experiences, and ambitions. The Prince is called away for a brief moment by one of his workers, Cinderella assures him that this is fine, and for him to take care of his royal duties and that she'll wait for him to return to her outside. Her evil half siblings then attack her, putting a sheet over her head and hauling her away to the carriage by order of their Mother; Cinderella struggles to free herself from their grasp, but to no avail. The Prince upon his return hears her struggles from a distance, darts around to the main lot of the palace to catch a glimpse of Cinderella calling out to him from inside the parting carriage...unaware that it was a kidnapping, he remembers in all of the excitement he never even got her name; but he bends down to collect a glass slipper that she'd left behind. Back home Cinderella is furious with her siblings and especially her step-mother, for once she confronts her demanding to know why she despises her so much, and she responds that it's b/c Cinderella reminds her so much of her Mother. She doesn't technically admit to the crime of killing her, but leaves room to the imagination for one to connect the dots. Of course the twins hear this, while one is actually commending their Mother's actions, the other finds room in her heart for sympathy towards Cinderella. Meanwhile, at the palace, the Prince puts on a witch hunt for the woman that has captured his heart; knights and royal hands go door to door looking for the woman who can fit the slipper, even those who could fit it, didn't match her complexion, hair color, eye color, bone structure, body size, etc. b/c that much he remembers. Over the course of the next few days, the twin who's had a change of heart tries to talk reason with her Mother and twin, but they do not listen; in fact, the Mother threatens to put her in the basement along with Cinderella and aid her in the chores. So she goes to Cinderella to apologize on their behalf, convincing her to leave. Left with no other option, Cinderella plans to do just that; coincidentally it's on the day where the Prince along with his Court go to their house. The Mother and evil twin try on the slipper but no fit; the now seemingly good twin tells them that they should try their other sister, disregarding her Mother's threatening glares; when they catch her, she's gathering her belongings on a solo cart about to head-off; he recognizes her instantly and begs her for her name, she obliges, and allows him to place the slipper on her foot. Perfect match. The Mother is livid, she lunges for Cinderella but the half sister defends Cinderella and prevents her Mom from doing so. The Mother scolds her for turning her back against her "real" blood and kicks her out as well, but then the police (along with the lawyer) arrive with a warrant for her arrest; the investigation concluded that she was in fact the cause of Cinderella's father's death and likely her mother's too; they put her in handcuffs and haul her away; while the lawyer informs them that the house as well as the fortune is to be divided evenly among his "children". However, due to blood work that was administered early on, the twins were in fact not his, leaving Cinderella the sole beneficiary. Long story, made shorter, she marries the Prince, moves off to live in his palace; the horrible step-mother is thrown in jail; the evil twin is kicked out on her can; and the relatively good twin is allowed to live in the home of Cinderella's Father where she marries and raises her own family eventually; and they all live happily ever after.

Sure there's A LOT that would need to be hammered out, but that's just an overview of what I'd go for. Definitely not a children's tale.

16. Loves books

When I was doing a creative writing course we had to tell a story from a bad guys point of view . I chose the witch from rapunzel. The witch wasn’t bad and didn’t want to be but was under family pressure to at least appear bad. When she caught rapunzels father stealing from her garden she had heard bad things about him and his wife and knew the wife was pregnant. Because she was lonely and worried about a child growing up in that family they had to hand it over. She raised the girl who wasn’t locked in a tower but had to pretend to be to make everyone think the witch was evil despite the fact she hadn’t actually done anything since rapunzel. When rapunzel was ready to leave for good they staged the whole prince thing, she didn’t actually marry him she just made her own way in life. And the hair was fake.

#16 Loves books, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  17. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seriously, if it were possible, yeah. But hey, if you like to write and want to use both of our ideas, go for it. You have my support.

18. malinconia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd probably re-write 'The Little Match-Seller' to were it was a lot darker than the original or maybe re-write 'Thumbelina' and again make it darker and more twisted than the original.

19. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok didn't really answer the question but I've never understood how the poisoned apple didn't kill snow white.

20. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Arthurian legends. Merlin and Arthur were actually in love. Morgana was not born evil, just misled but Merlin saves the day and she doesn’t turn evil. Guinevere and Lancelot end up together and Arthur never married her.
    Mordred is not Arthur and Morgana son. Let’s just give him two Dads. And total take out the incest part and burn it along with Morgause. All the Knights live. Balinor is not killed. He and Hunith are united. Mainly, give the BBC Merlin a happy ending.

This is not fairytale but there is this German series known as Verbotene Liebe. It had a famous gay pair Christian and Oliver. Christian is straight but falls in love with Oli who is bisexual. Came out in the 2000s I think. Anyways, Christian cheats on Oli twice and both times with women. They reconcile but long distance affects their relationship and Oli has a one night stand. They get divorced. I always thought that the writers didn’t know how to proceed after Christian getting over his confusion and his “coming out”. I want Christian to never cheat. I want them to stay married, with Oli looking after his Café/club and Christian as the royal stableman, adopting many children and growing old together.

#20 Cas girl, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019