1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tatoos and being LGBTQ

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Dionysios, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I ever did get a tatoo, I suspect I would place over a s
    Thanks for sharing! I didn't think of tatoos being a gay thing either, though a lot of gay folks do ink up for various reasons.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're right in that tats can be a symbol of a life change or something special that occurs and really isn't a gay thing. Of my brothers, the two straight ones have tattoos and us non three non-straight ones don't!

It is odd how almost all the guys I have been with do not have them. I find them a turn off. But, I wouldn't have known this ahead of time. Piercings I really cannot deal with since I love the way a man's body is contoured with no embellishments.

This is one thing so great about attractions. They are different for each of us!

bearheart, Poofter and Dionysios like this.
  3. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good grief, part of my post didn't appear. If I ever did get a tatoo, it would go over a scar on my stomach which was a result of a surgery.

Yes, most of my brothers and many if my nieces and nephews have tatoos too. My son just finished an enormous one on his back of a rhino! Tats and piercings can be a personal expression. I suspect it can be addictive though. Some do not know when to stop and too many tatoos can become unsighty like a billboard plastered with too many ads.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think tattooing is part of the greater society now. so gay men getting ink as part of their coming out may not be a big thing. I did get a tattoo just after coming out as queer (my first), but it's a semi colon to celebrate the day stopped my suicide attempt as a teen. it's surrounded by a rainbow water splat because I wanted some colour around it, incase it's my only tattoo. later, I added more tattoos all as rainbows colours and done in the water colour style of tattooing. we're working towards a sleeve. all in colour and all done in the same style.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I neglected to mention this during my coming out to my son on another thread, but during our talk my son asked me if I was going to get some sort of LGBTQ tatoo! I couldn't help but smile, "Not this again! What is it with tatoos and LGBTQ people?" I thought to myself.

I told my son no, at least not at the present time. I really need to give the whole matter some thought. My son, who has lots of tats, laughed, noting that for a tatoo artists, I'm a blank slate! *laugh*

Poofter likes this.
  6. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i plan on getting two tattoos, one of my unit, with the american flag in the background, when i join the marines, and the other is a rainbow flag on my left shoulder blade

Dionysios likes this.
  7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am generally in the camp of ink should have some meaning and not just because someone talked you into it. Sorry dudes with no tribal blood at all with a generic tribal tat, or girls with tramp stamps...

Dionysios likes this.
  8. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i feel like commonly people believe this about LGBT people because it is a lot of the time a show of pride, saying "i dont care what you think" even if it is in a place where the tattoo can be hidden. people have to have some sort of sense of not caring what people think to come out, and that is my reasoning to why they are linked. and a lot of lgbt people are more accepting towards, well, everything. tattoos, crazy hair, piercings, and things like that.

also some people get tattoos to mark a stage or event in their life, for example; getting married, having kids, getting their dream job, graduating, and sometimes coming out too. it is somewhat of a stereotype, but is not harmful and i think i have seen a lot of lgbt people with ink, however, a bunch of people from all backgrounds, genders, and sexualities have tattoos too. i think its pretty awesome and shows a sign of confidence. but it is perfectly fine not to do it if you dont want to.

#28 Reviskova, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Dionysios likes this.
  9. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tattoos!? I wonder if I can return the toaster....
    (Well, somebody had to say it.)

No tattoos here.

#29 smee, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you! Hope all goes well with your desire to become a marine and serve our country.

11. Gutterpunk

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a little less than four years to wait, and i know that less people will enlist in my generation so i figure i might as well step up

12. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have several tattoos and had several piercings...my ink was not related in any way to orientation, rather it was misspent youth...the piercings were more androgeneous and quite possible a subconscious attempt of trying to get in touch with myself (double ear peircing at age 19) and piercing my navel immediately after my ex GF dumped me; I think looking back my navel ring was more of an attempt at trying to find congruence....all peircings are no longer present