1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you like about being lgbtq+?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faultyink, Feb 13, 2019.

1. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    let's spread some positivity, bc there's a bit of a bad rep surrounding being lgbt

2. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    personally, i think one thing i personally like is being able to educate people. some people might not enjoy questions and comments, in no way am i saying it is every LGBT persons job to do this, and i get that. but i feel it is important to have conversations with people who may not understand things to try to get them to or put them in the right direction. especially older people have some mindsets that were the norm when they were young, and being able to have conversations with them on why some things are not okay/normal anymore and helping them understand is a great thing. sometimes people say things just out of ignorance, misunderstanding, or not knowing better. and if they are not told that it is wrong and educated on it things wont change. i have been very lucky to both be able to do this and have a non judgmental surroundings of people. other than that, there isnt something i can pinpoint liking. its just normal for me.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #NoAccidentalPregnancyClub

...Someone had to say it.

#3 Destin, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wish I could educate others on Bisexuality

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point. This is a big plus. We wouldn't want any little BMC77s running around--one is bad enough! LOL

Although pregnancy could still happen. For example, all it might take is a gay guy and lesbian hooking up after drinking too many beers at that party...

6. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just so blessed with my new LGBT family. I've made at least 10 new LGBT friends from my groups. We are literally like a family, it's incredible and they really have welcomed me with open arms. I only joined the groups in September. We also message and talk through facebook everyday.
    I like educating my straight friends/colleagues too.....I just feel lucky and supported.

7. GreyCosmo

GreyCosmo Guest

i personally love the community. the lgbt community is so welcoming and kind toward fellow lgbt people (of course some parts of it is a bit toxic, I hope that changes soon). also, girls are cool to look at.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think being gay has reset my gratitude threshold. So many of my straight friends seem to leave so many of the really important things in life out of the things they're really grateful for, because they always assumed they would have them. Friends who accept you for who you are, spouses with whom you share a genuine mutual love, homes that provide shelter from the storm, jobs where you can be who you are. All of these it seems are so often really kind of brushed over because people really assumed that they would get them--despite the fact that even many straight people don't get them. On the other hand I genuinely did not thing I would get any of these things. The fact that I am actually married still kind of boggles my mind. My straight friends look at their lovely wives and really do seem to think well, she's not a model like X's wife. Honest, productive jobs aren't nearly as prestigious as the next guy's job. Cozy is practically an insult in describing your home. I on the other hand, look out at my perfectly normal middle-class life and genuinely can't believe my good fortune.

I would say that being gay has made me stronger, more confident, more empathetic, more kind. It's taught me how to really trust people, how to believe in people, and when necessary how to forgive people. It gave me enough distance on traditional societal expectations to be able to step outside a bit and think--hmm, that's not going to work for me. So what do I really want? and what am I willing to do to get it? It made me face my deepest fear, a fear a younger me tried to kill himself to avoid, and walk through it relatively unscathed. Can you imagine how much better the world would be if everyone got the chance to face their deepest fear and see that life goes on?

And then being gay brought me a community of people like myself, people who are courageous and kind and funny and strong. People who looked out at the world and saw that they could live a life of love and honesty but only if they were willing to risk everything to get it, and made the right choice. People who constantly amaze me with their bravery and resilience, not to mention their wit and charm. And I can find them wherever I go and be told basically "oh, you're one of us, come with me". And of course being gay brought me my husband of twenty-two years. It brought me the opportunity to go to bed every night thinking I couldn't possibly love more than I do now, and wake up in the morning to find that I do.

9. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my rather limited perspective as observed here at EC, I would have to say the comradely, respect and tolerance are the aspects about LGBTQ I enjoy the best. The LGBTQ world is quite diverse, yet people here are non-judgemental and very welcoming. Everyone, old and new, is treated with warm support and kindness. I suppose that the outside world can be quite cruel, harsh and unwelcoming for people perceived as so different from the mainstream. Amongst each other we can draw together in an atmosphere of goodwill and fellowship. That's so needed and appreciated!!!

10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too funny - it sounds like the premise of a Hollywood movie! LOL

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, there are two movie possibilities here.

Gay guy + lesbian drink too much and hookup could be a comedy. Or a drama.

A baby who is the child of BMC77 would, of course, be a horror movie. LOL

12. Sapphia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love being part of the community. Just hanging with my gay friends and even connecting to people online is nice because we can all relate to each other.

13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is such a great thread, I have really enjoyed reading the posts....
    I already posted, but for me it's about the LGBT community.
    My local meusem is putting on a LGBT event today, looking at LGBT through history, speakers and stalls too. My LGBT friends and I are really excited, I keep getting facebook and messenger alerts from friends. I have more gay friends than straight! We have such a respect for each other, I just love it.

14. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We shouldn't laugh. Perhaps you sell these ideas to Hollywood. They would love it, nake a film and you my friend could be a producer! *grin*

15. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @OGS what a lovely post. I hope I find those things too.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't I wish! I could use the money.

BMC77 sighs longingly, as he stares at the water leak stained ceiling.

Although, from what I hear, it's very hard selling to Hollywood...

17. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is difficult. My niece lives out there and is in the business. She sold one reality show (it was crappy) which lasted a couple of seasons. She has tried is trying to pitch several others. She has described Hollywood as a very cutthroat place.

18. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It helps define me. I mean, I never really make me being gay a big deal, but when it comes down to it, it plays a huge role in...me. I actively search out books with LGBT characters, similar with TV shows and movies. It's made me find characters that I can actually connect with.

It's given me something to focus on in my writing. I mean, I don't get out and do as many things as I like so I don't have a lot of experiences to write about but the coming out experience is something that comes incredibly easy to me when it comes to writing.

I literally would not be where I am today if I was straight. There are so many people, even ones that I never talk to anymore, that have significantly impacted my life and the only reason we met was because I'm gay.

And otherwise I would just be a bored, lonely, straight, white man and...nah.

19. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found that lgbt are kind and friendly, unlike straight people.Straight people are narrow-minded, they cannot accept anyone who is different. Lgbt are more accepting of people who are different.
    I love movie/tv show with lgbt characters, I love singers who had come out of the closet, I love lgbt apps that I can use to connect with other people, I love lgbt related artworks and I love the rainbow flag, the colours are beautiful.

20. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is such a broadly false statement that it's appalling. Stop hating on straight people...