1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you realize you’re straight?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Leah061, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you think it’s possible to go through months or years of questioning and realize at the end of it that you were straight all along? I used to not think so but I just came across a post on another site on this topic and everyone commented something like “yeah I thought I might be gay for five years and now I genuinely feel straight.” Some of them didn’t even feel that their sexuality was “fluid”, or that they were bi, they honestly believe that they were completely straight all along and their seeming attraction to the same sex was a phase. Obviously extreme denial could be a factor for a lot of these people, and while I do believe sexuality is fluid to some extent, I personally don’t buy into the notion that someone can believe they are gay or bi for years at a time and then come to the conclusion that they are 100% straight and always were. I feel so confused because it wasn’t just a handful of people on this post who have experienced this, it was the majority of commenters. I didn’t think this was a common thing, if it even happens at all.

Silveroot likes this.
  2. peacebeus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, if someone can go their whole life thinking they're straight to only realize that they're gay, who's to say it can't happen the other way around, but yes, denial can be a huge factor, but as long as the person is genuinely happy, who are we to judge?

LezCee likes this.
  3. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it exactly the same as thinking your straight only to realize you’re gay though? I mean the reason why not knowing you’re gay is such a common experience is because our society is heteronormative and straight is seen as the default. Society reinforces heterosexuality, not homosexuality, so how can someone fight through the heteronormativity to question themselves (or even believe that they’re gay) for years, only to realize that their orientation lines up perfectly with society’s expectations?

medamaude likes this.
  4. peacebeus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Life is confusing. If you grow up different, you will always be seen as different, and that installs anxiety into the brain of a developing kid. Johnny wears pink, oh he must be gay, Johnny grows up questioning who he is, because he's never been allowed to express himself because of society, now Johnny's all fucked up in the head till one day some chick makes him wanna take a bullet to see her smile, Same goes for someone who might be seen as straight even though they turn out to have been gay the whole time, my point being, why does it matter.

5. peacebeus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    is it the same though? No. But it is possible? Yes.

Leah061 likes this.
  6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. Hard to figure, but yeah.

I have a guy I used to be friends with who literally his entire teenage years he hooked up with older guys, but also dated girls. He joined the military and hadn't hooked up with anyone for awhile and once he tried hooking up with a guy again he realized he wasn't into it anymore. So, he declared himself straight despite his past of hooking up with guys.

7. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? While I was in denial for years, I knew in the deep recesses of my heart that I was gay. If you really do some soul searching how can you not discover the unvarnished truth about yourself? Thus I am somewhat reluctant to accept the notion that someone could go for years questioning their sexual orientation, only to suddenly realize that they straight all along. I can see how people who are bisexual must struggle coming to terms with their orientation, given the fact that they are torn, being attracted to both sexes.

Leah061 likes this.
  8. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I don't know how something like that might happen, it seems odd to me. However, it's something that used to trouble me too. What if I openly declare myself gay, and find myself attracted to a man someday? Well, that would make me bisexual you say, but for the heteronormative society it would mean I finally 'came to my senses' and would appear like I were straight, while it would probably break any lgbt friendships, since I could be seen as unrelaiable or some kind of traitor. I've read such stories. It doesn't help that my mind likes to worry about the future either.

But yeah, as a whole I find such a possibility slim. Not impossible, but rare. In any case, I would consider such a person bisexual, maybe not 'fluid' if he sticks with dating one gender, but bisexual nonetheless. Anyway, it's not my place to label other people's experiences.

medamaude, Leah061, sjax0628 and 3 others like this.
  9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly. I really hate conversations like this where people are being invalidated for their experiences. To the OP, So what? None of this matters at all. It’s not our place to question or judge another person. Maybe I’m being sensitive, but I know this is actually the reaction people would have against me if I came out so yeah it bothers me a hell of a lot. And I think it’s very disrespectful to say you believe in sexual fluidity and then follow that up with you don’t think something like this is possible. You’re contradicting yourself. You can’t be accepting that other people are not 100% one way or the other and that their experience does not match yours perfectly, and then say you don’t believe them. I think you’re being very judgmental.

#9 Love4Ever, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Meander likes this.
  10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And for the record, no I don’t think these people are 100% straight, but then I don’t believe anyone is. But if they’re mostly straight then so what? I mean, none of this actually matters.

Meander likes this.
  11. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Stories like that confuse the heck out of me too.

Maybe those people mistook some other emotion as an attraction. Or the attraction was there, but just not enough to have significant meaning for them.

medamaude and Meander like this.
  12. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing I've said in this thread was intended to be judgmental or disrespectful, and frankly I think your defensiveness is uncalled for. No part of what I said implied that it's our job to judge anyone's experiences. If it needs clarification, allow me to say it now, I don't judge or look down on anyone for how they identify or the path they took to get there. I do in fact understand that everyone's journey is different and is their own. All I intended to do was start a conversation about something I read today that talked about sexuality in a way very different from the way sexuality is usually discussed. All I hoped for was that some members of this site would chime in with opinions of their own on this topic.

As for what I said about fluidity, I personally don't buy the idea that someone can identify as 100% gay for years and then 100% straight all of a sudden. Sexuality is fluid, more for some than others, but my understanding is that it isn't quite so fluid that someone can do a total 180 on their orientation. And while you and plenty of others believe that no one is 100% anything, I personally don't agree with that, and I think that can actually be quite invalidating to a number of experiences. Some people are just gay and no amount of talk of fluidity or open mindedness will ever make them able to be with a member of the opposite sex. Think about all the gay people who try desperately hard to make a heterosexual lifestyle work for them. I think that some people are at the far ends of the spectrum, and some people don't experience any fluidity in their lives, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of people who do experience fluidity and fall somewhere between being 100% gay and straight.

Ultimately, I agree with you on the fact that in the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters as much as we think it does. Our opinions don't matter in how someone else experiences their sexuality, and if they feel that the most truthful way to tell their story contradicts my opinion, or yours, or anyone else's, who cares? At the end of the day it's about finding what makes us feel at peace with ourselves. I created this thread because I read a number of stories from people who have a unique, and seemingly rare, experience of believing they were gay before coming to the conclusion that they were completely straight all along.

Obviously I don't have all the answers, and I never said I did. Sexuality is complicated. If you disagree with me, or are bothered by "conversations like this" that's completely fine, but you don't get to accuse me of being judgmental or disrespectful when you're the one taking a conversation that had nothing to do with you or your personal experiences, and making it about you. I understand that this is a sensitive subject for you, and I'm sorry you're struggling with coming out to people who may try to invalidate you. But this thread was not aimed at invalidating you, or anyone else.

13. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of too. That's why hearing all of these stories was so jarring to me. Because I keep wondering what if underneath it all, my attraction to women is fake, and if I try, I too could realize I'm completely straight? I suppose it doesn't actually matter what could happen in the future. Sexuality is wildly complicated after all, so there's no point in obsessing over hypotheticals. I just think it's interesting that someone could genuinely feel gay and then suddenly identify, not as bi, but straight.

14. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, in your mind, all of the people who say this are just secretly denying that they're gay? I think that's a bit of an arrogant way to look at it. Personally, I'm bisexual, I know I'm bisexual; I doubt there will ever be a point in life when that will change i.e. becoming 100% straight or becoming 100% gay. If it does, that's fine, but I doubt it. Is it possible, though? Sure. I don't think you get to tell other people how they feel about their sexuality.

I do think some people can go through phases in their sexuality. Sexuality is fluid and doesn't always have to be at the same point along the scale. I do think some people can sometimes get wrapped up in the idea of, "Why did I think about my friend in a sexual way one time? Am I gay?" and I think these thoughts can confuse people and get them sort of twisted up about it, instead of just accepting that maybe they're straight and had a sexual thought about a same-sex friend once.

Sometimes this can spiral people out of control to where they sort of obsess over whether or not they're gay. In reality, sexual thoughts about the same sex can occur even in straight people.

OR, maybe it's just hormonal and some people experiment and then decide it's not for them. It's strange for me to hear someone denying this as if there's some kind of conspiracy about straight people lying about being gay. I mean, obviously there's tons of latent homosexuality out there but if someone openly admitted they experienced gay thoughts for an amount of time but that those thoughts disappeared, I don't see any reason to think they're lying.

Nightlight and Meander like this.
  15. sjax0628

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was afraid of this for a long time. Like others, I didn’t realize I was gay until I was 30. I was constantly worrying about whether I was making it all up in my mind. But I finally realized that my attraction to women and generally being gay is what makes me feel the happiest and most content. So I just decided to go with it. If I meet Mr. Right down the road, then so be it. I’m open to anything, but I still have zero desire to be with a man ever again.

16. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I never said I think that these people are actually gay and denying it. I'm not accusing anyone of lying about their experiences, I'm genuinely curious as to how someone comes to identify as gay or bi, and then realize that they were actually completely straight all along.

I also never meant to deny the existence of fluidity in sexuality, I understand that lots of people experience sexuality that way. I'm not sure how I implied that sexuality was not fluid, or that I know better than anyone else on how someone should identify. I agree that some people experience changes in their orientation through their lives, it's just that I've never heard of sexuality being so fluid that someone can identify as gay for years of their life and suddenly become straight.

To reiterate, nothing I have said in this thread was intended to judge, criticize, question, or determine someone else's sexuality. I'm just confused as to how these stories happen. For someone to question themselves, and come to the conclusion that they are gay/bi/pan/etc, they have to go against society's heteronormativity and their own internalized homophobia. What is interesting to me is that the people whose stories I read today, then realized, after tackling the beast of heteronormative societal expectations, that they were actually straight all along and that their true orientation lines up perfectly with society's expectations of them.

medamaude, Silveroot and Meander like this.
  17. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, that's all fine and dandy. But if you realize that sexuality is fluid and can be a moving target? Why is it so surprising that someone can, at one point, define as homo or bisexual, then at another point identify as hetero?

Doesn't seem like that huge of a puzzle to me. I certainly didn't experience homosexual thoughts until I was at least 17. Some people know they're gay when they're 4 years old.

None of this has to be set in stone. Everyone's different.

Love4Ever likes this.
  18. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, of course nothing has to be set in stone, and everyone is different. What I've said previously in this thread that I'll say again, is that as far as I personally understand sexuality (not that I'm an expert for god's sake, everyone just calm the fuck down) is that it is rare for someone to recognize same sex attractions, only to realize later on that they are completely straight. Straight, as in exclusively attracted to members of the opposite sex.

I do think that lots of people, even the majority of people, are somewhere on the spectrum between straight and gay, but I'm still curious as to how one can go from identifying as someone with same sex oriented attractions for years, and then suddenly identify as entirely straight. As I've said, I do believe that sexuality is fluid, and that most of us are not 100% straight or gay, but it seems unusual for someone to acknowledge their same sex attractions for years, and then suddenly identify as completely straight. I mean, I guess it can happen, and I don't look down on anyone who feels that way, it's just that I'd never heard of such a sharp change in sexual orientation before.

19. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay; that's fine. Then it should also be puzzling to you, and you should also be asking yourself, how one can go from feeling entirely straight for half their life then feel entirely gay. Shouldn't it?

So, taking my question into consideration, how can someone be straight for half their life then feel entirely gay? Who knows. It can go either way and I don't think any of us have answers that would satisfy you; I'm no expert either.

Meander and Love4Ever like this.
  20. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I agree with the other posters. I don’t think there is any satisfactory answer for you to be found here. It happens, that’s really all there is to it. People change, people want different things, and yes, people also make choices. I just find this a bit strange that you are so confused by this, since I recall your experience that you’ve spoken about on here from what you’ve written as not being entirely clear either from the very beginning. It’s not like you knew you were gay from birth either. Trying to find an answer for human sexuality is like trying to solve the riddle of the Sphinx. It’s not going to happen.

Meander and grayman like this.