1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New York state grants protections to trans citizens, bans conversion therapy aimed at minors

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kira, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In spite of the downwards spiral of the United States, New York has taken a recent stand against the fall.
    I applaud both these efforts... we should be progressing, not backtracking. This is a good start.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-york-state-bans-lgbt-conversion-therapy-aimed-at-minors

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/01...ansgender-people-pass-historic-new-york-vote/

#1 Kira, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is great! I'm shocked by the few nay votes because there are 23 gop members of the senate. I wonder what they got out of the deal. They should vote for it, but I thought the gop platform was still pretty anti-LGBTQ. We should have these laws federally like Canada. One state at a time I guess.

3. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Obama wanted to go there but the GOP Congress... well...nuff said.

Not surprised about the 23 vote in NYS. Upstate is like a different world from NYC. Still, big step forward against such an awful form of child abuse.

4. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    CORRECTION: The state legislative vote was almost unanimous - 57-4 in the Senate and 134-3 in the Assembly.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just one step into slowly getting this banned across the board.
    There are pro-LGBT Republicans and even LGBT Republicans. Few people in a party believe the entirety of what the party stands for, which is partially why a two party system sucks.

6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    kind of shocked that conversion therapy for transgender people and other people in the LGBT isnt already illegal in the US, especially towards children. seems like such a 'progressive' country. weird.

7. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends on where you are. The US has turned into two countries. Progressive and bible-belt

8. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess that is true. I dont know too much cause i have never even been in the US, let alone lived there. it is still sad though.

9. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT Republican here checking in to confirm this and thank you for mentioning that, most people don't.

Most of the Republican party is barely even conservative anymore honestly, their beliefs are like 75% moderate. It just seems more conservative than before because Democrats have gotten way more liberal lately while Republicans stayed the same. There's a gigantic difference between Carter and Clinton era Democrats and modern ones. There's almost no difference between Reagan, Bush and modern era Republicans except the crazier ones like the tea party.

All the main Republican party and most Republicans actually care about is smaller government, cutting the national debt, tax reform, states rights, and the 2nd amendment. Centrist Democrats believe nearly all of those same things. The crazier things including anti-LGBT stuff is from the small offshoot groups like the evangelicals, the tea party, the Trump people etc. but since Republicans tend to be more of a silent majority type of people instead of activists, the crazy ones are the only ones who ever get famous enough to be heard by the other side.

10. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, it’s the religious right that has kidnapped the Republican Party. Most republicans don’t subscribe to these beliefs and most hate Trump. But until there are more equal voting districts and Democrats can demonstrate a willingness to listen to Trump supporters were looking at Trump 2020.

11. smurf

Eh, silent majority is still violent as hell.

If kids are being tortured because the few crazy people in your party write it in the mission of your whole party AND the majority people don't say anything or do anything to stop it, then it doesn't really matter whether they are anit-lgbt or not. Inaction is still a horrible decision for lgbt kids.

They are also the same people who faught against "marriage equality" because of their bible, yet voted for a man who has been divorced multiple types and paid off a prostitute while he was married.

Like yeah, some republicans don't care about LGBT issues anymore, but lets not act like 1) the leaders of your party aren't horrible 2) being silent when people are being tortured is any less evil.

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good step. :slight_smile:

Hopefully, one day we will have a planet without this stupidity of "conversion therapy". These charlatans have hurt too many people already with this type of torture.

13. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    “Conversion therapy” is a contradiction of terms. The purpose of therapy is to allow space to help you figure things out, not get you to be something you’re not. Disgusting.

14. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

I agree with smurf. I personally think people who harm others are bad people but what's even worse is the people who see it and do nothing about it.

15. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

I agree with smurf. I personally think people who harm others are bad people but what's even worse is the people who see it and do nothing about it.

16. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Sorry for the double reply, a website's error I guess. By the way, thank you for always being straightforward in your posts/replies, I really admire that.

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True, though I'm still surprised that many would ignore that part of the platform. If that many don't support the plank, it should not be in the platform. Keeping it seems like pandering to the people who still oppose our equal treatment. It's great they supported us in this vote and I hope the regularity only increases.

A bit off topic, but what do you, or anyone, think of ranked choice voting? From what I've seen it seems like a good system.