1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vocal dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all, I need some help. I've finally accepted that my voice causes me massive, intense dysphoria and I need some help fixing it. Urgently. I'll talk to the GIC when I can, but I probably won't see them for ages, so if you have any tips / videos / resources for how to make my voice higher and more feminine (ideally ones you've used that actually worked) I would be indebted to you.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some voice training exercises you can find on YouTube and on some apps.

Stef Sanjati has some videos about voice training; she has some tips in this video:

There's also an app called Eva MtF, though I believe you have to pay for the lessons.

3. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The voice thing must really suck for you girls. I don't know if I can help you much...

I tried to find a video Theryn Meyer did ages ago but she has deleted a lot of her old stuff. That video could still exist though. She used to sing bass and said that she thought she wouldn't be able to transition "succesfully" because of that. She has a nice feminine voice nowadays.

How you talk also matters when you are trying to pass. I am not going to get more into this because I haven't experienced it myself and you propably know more about it than I do.

The most important thing seems to be that you just never give up. Never stop. The progress seems to be painfully slow for most. Record your voice to track your progress but don't do it too often so you won't get discouraged. Even a small change is something. Don't listen to your recordings right away if you feel too dysphoric. Return to them after a month or two and record again.

It can be slow even for us transmen although we do have it much easier. I am 2,5 years on HRT and my voice still isn't completely "done".

By the way. If your avatar is you, you look completely like a ciswoman in it.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried this video out yesterday and it seems to work pretty well for me. For the record, I've decided to start my own vocal therapy from now.

5. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few friends have said about vocal coaches they’ve used and I can say they sound great.