1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossdressers

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pret Allez, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I like to touch lightning rods from time to time, so here we go.

How do you feel about crossdressers? To better set the stage for this question, I'm interested to know more about the experiences of other trans people that might be different from my own. I very much support crossdressers, and I'm not at all inviting anyone to spew any invective about them, unless of course they are eloquent and considered in doing so.

Lately in certain trans communities, I have been hearing complaints about crossdressers, and those complaints make me feel uncomfortable. They feel reductive and exclusionary, but at the same time, I have to acknowledge there are many crossdressers on the planet, and some of them might not be the most ethical folks in the world. They may have done problematic things. They may have expressed transphobic views, or just been outright obnoxious.

So, if we could keep it respectful and nuanced, that'd be great.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support crossdressing all the way. As long as people understand there's a difference between crossdressing and being trans, I don't see a problem with it.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, of course there is, but I'm interested to hear you unpack that. Like is there something really problematic crossdressers are doing? Or is it that the existence of crossdressers are confusing for the cis or somehow politically inconvenient for us in the trans community from an optics perspective?

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dressed for years, in private. so I very much support those who dress, and cross dressing is under the greater trans* umbrella so anyone who is exclusionary towards them usually gets a piece of my mind. as for people who dress who are transphobic, or aren't nice people, well just like the greater society that we are still a part of people come in all walks, beliefs, and hatreds. I put them in the same category as any other transphobe. as for exclusion, we as a community, need to get over ourselves. if we want inclusion we must be inclusive. we must not further marginalize people who are already at the edges.

Hillary B and Brandy Bee like this.
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean fetishists being problematic? If they really cannot be turned on any other way and if it's not because they feel female but because they attracted to females, then they have my compassion. Women tend to freak out about sex, but there is nothing unnatural in being turned on by even weird things. Masturbating in public, though, is rude.

Transphobes are transphobes. No need to divide it by whether they crossdress.

But those are just some cases. Crossdressers who come to trans spaces are usually more along the gender fluid lines. Nothing wrong with that. I think some trans people are just jerks and think that their experience is the only right one and the only one that matters and others, phew. If you get what I mean. They pull out the argument that they don't want to be confused for gender fluid or crossdressers - from my point of view it doesn't make sense. Each to their own. Existence of one doesn't make the other group suddenly disappear. Some are envious that crossdressers don't feel dysphoria or something, and want to be mean because of this, or maybe are made feel insecure, there are also trans people who have the complex that they are androgynous, not conforming to their felt gender or the gender they want to be, and feel like crossdressers promote gender stereotypes or something, which again, is prioritising one group over another, when in reality they are separate and don't exclude each other.

6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My opinion is, i simply do not care. As a trans person, i have never understood the hatred for crossdressers. who cares if a man wants to dress as a woman? who cares if a woman wants to dress as a man? i can somewhat understand it because it can cause the big strong alpha males to question their sexuality and then "hate" lgbt members. (joking to a extent) drag is so accepted now-adays and mainstream lgbt that i am surprised crossdressing is not. i do not think crossdressers are part of the lgbt in my opinion, simply because, its just a expression of clothing, makeup, wigs, etc. but if they want to say they are lgbt, it does not bother me. so why should i care? or anyone else for that matter.

*** to edit, i do think it causes trans people to be fetishized to a certain extent. i have been fetishized for the fact i am transgender in the past and i see it everywhere, it annoys me to no end. but i dont think its something they are trying to do. its a after effect.

#6 Reviskova, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Hillary B likes this.