1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think HRT is changing my attractions.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Olafur1225, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Olafur1225

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before taking estrogen, I was purely attracted to men. I once identified as a gay man before realising I was trans but now I've been on estrogen for a year and I notice I'm attracted to women, but in a very different way than I normally experienced attraction. My fantasies involve things like talking, cuddling and kissing but I'm a lot less sexual. I don't think I really have any sexual attraction. It's purely emotional. I get fluttering butterflies in my stomach but no real interest in sex while my libido has returned.

androgynousdog likes this.
  2. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hormone therapy doesn't usually change who you are attracted to, but everybody is different. How long have you been on HT? I've been on for 2 1/2 years, and my libido is just now settling down and starting to act reasonably.

Mandy

3. tystnad

tystnad Guest

although i absolutely cannot tell you how it works and whether it’s the hormones that change anything or just the progression of your self discovery, i can tell you this is definitely not unheard of. i’ve seen quite a few threads pop up on emptyclosets if people whose sexuality changed (temporarily or permanently) during their transition, and a close friend of mine went from identifying as a lesbian to identifying as a gay man: he was genuinely into women before he figured out his gender, but eventually that simply changed and he lost all attraction he had to women. So even if it’s not the most common thing, know you’re not alone in sort of having to figure out your sexuality as you transition. it might be just a phase connected to certain desires you have (ie perhaps you seek a “softer” kind of affection that you unconsciously believe you’re more likely to get from being with a woman) or it might be that an attraction to women you didn’t think you had is slowly revealing itself. either way, give yourself some time and allow yourself to be open to it, and clarity will come eventually :slight_smile:

4. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she was a lesbian, but became interested in men, that would make her a straight [trans] woman.

Mandy

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hormones don't change sexual attraction/orientation. If they did, then hormone therapy to turn gay people straight would work... and, to the chagrin of thousands of people given this unethical and illegal treatment by unethical religious crazies... it doesn't.

I echo others in saying that getting in touch with yourself and taking the steps to be who you really are may be bringing out previously hidden feelings. But it has nothing to do with taking the hormones.

androgynousdog likes this.
  6. tystnad

tystnad Guest

no. he identified as a lesbian before he came to terms with the fact that he was in fact male (as i thought i made clear in my post by saying it was before he figured out his gender). thanks for assuming i would ignorantly misgender a friend so dear to me, but what i said in my post was correct. he identified as female and lesbian until he figured out he was male and since then feels his attractions have shifted towards men. that he identified as lesbian is not me saying he WAS a lesbian (he was a man all along even if he hadn’t figured it out yet, so obviously he wasn’t) just that at a certain point in his life identifying as such was the best way of expressing how he felt. it describes the process i have witnessed and matches the way he prefers to talk about his past.

my friend is not a she, straight, or a woman, thanks.

#6 tystnad, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
  7. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your post wasn't clear, and there's no need to get snippy. I certainly had no intent of dissing someone I don't even know. Chill out. No one is disrespecting anyone here, and there was certainly no harm intended.

Mandy

8. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have read on other forums some men who were straight and taking hormones for transition began to change their feelings and desired men. They were married had wife support but now wanted men. I do believe hormones run rapid in your body. As I will find out very soon.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huge difference between correlation and causation. Hormones, as I said above, don't change sexual orientation. They can open you up to more self-awareness and bring long-dormant feelings to the surface, but they don't fundamentally change your 'attraction' wiring.

10. Amanda F

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Chip said.

Mandy

11. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She