1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety About Sharing

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mia Mize, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Today I dropped a class with a friend. For some reason I feel like I can open up to her. I have once before and it scared me. Today after we dropped the class we started to talk. For one I opened up because she asked me about myself. People never ask me about me even the one friend I have had since high school.I basically shared things I don't even say out loud. Things about mental health, my childhood and my family life. I never say anything about myself especially not my dark sides.

Today I talked about so much. Now that I am alone, I have a lot of anxiety about it. That she really didn't care. That she might tell someone. That somehow my entire life will unravel because I had an hour long conversation exchanging bad parts of our lives. I'm shaking writing this and my mind is going a million miles a minute.

What are things I can do to not be so terrified of sharing a personal story? What can I do to not be so scared that everyone wants something and no one is capable of caring about me?
    Even this post scares me.

2. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your anxiety at the moment. I know how hard it can be to open up to someone. You are lucky that you have a friend that is willing to listen to how you are truly feeling. If you ever need someone to talk to I would be happy to listen. :slight_smile:.

3. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much. and the same for me if you ever need to talk. About ANYTHING!..
    But I have always had anxiety about sharing personal things. I find that I surround myself with narcissists and they never really ask me about me. That always hurt a bit but I was also happy I wasn't sharing my personal life with people I knew wouldn't stay around or who liked drama and couldn't keep anything to themselves. I have always been the person people like to talk to but I don't like to talk about me. Today I put a lot out there and rather than normal anxiety about being alone forever it's that M****a will repeat everything I say and people will find out things about me.

4. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know exactly how you feel. This is a safe place to talk openly in my experience. Everyone is so friendly and happy to help and talking on here is really the only true place I feel comfortable being myself. So how are you doing today?

5. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It was a good day actually. Good classes even that talk felt good even with the anxiety during and after. But now it's harder and I know on some level I am being silly, but a pretty good day other wise.

How are you doing today?

6. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s good to hear. And there is nothing silly about feeling anxious. Just try and concentrate on the good parts of the day.

My day is ok feeling abit down but that’s probably just because I know that what I want just isn’t going to happen. I’m trying to concentrate on work

7. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry that that is happening to you. is work helping?

8. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah it’s helping :slight_smile:. It’s nice and busy so lots to do before Christmas :evergreen_tree:

9. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I get that. Are the holidays hard for you?

10. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    also may not respond for a few hours it's 4 AM where I am but will check back later.

11. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Holidays are hard for me yeah. I find that when my family ask what I’d like for Christmas i always have to lie and not tell them what I’d really like. Plus my parents aren’t together anymore which can be hard to deal with. How about you? Wow you’re up early lol

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think it's totally natural to feel like this when you open up to someone in that way, especially when you are the kind of person that never opens up to anyone. Take some deep breaths and just try and keep busy to keep your mind occupied and prevent it from overthinking about the situation.
    I'm sure you chose wisely in opening up to her and hopefully she will keep the things you shared just between the 2 of you. If she shared things with you too then it's likely she will.

13. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not really up early more like not going to bed at a good time. And yeah my parents aren't together either. I am spending Christmas with my dad and step family for the first time in years. So excited to see my nephew. I love Christmas but it's different with me because I can stop and get lost in it.

14. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And to SilverHalo Thanks the only thing is that she shared with me too but she doesn't really have a big issue with the whole sharing thing. We have similar issues but she has dealt with it better than I have and she is comfortable with all that stuff.

#14 Mia Mize, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha you were still up at 4am? How? Lol. I love the excitement Christmas normally brings but this year I’m just not feeling it so much

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all deal with things differently, it doesn't make it better or worse, we all have unique personalities. I'm sure even though she doesn't share your difficulty in sharing she will still take care of your secrets.

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to have a very hard time opening up about anything. An depending on the person, I still do.

While I'm still reserved to 90% of the people I interact with, I've found that after a couple of times of opening up it gets easier. I think I tend to handle things relatively well, and most of the things that upset me would upset most people, so my attitude is that y'all can judge as much as you want, but I'm getting stuff off my chest lol

18. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Alice89 I tend to stay up all night and sleep most of the day. I remember how happy Christmas made me as a kid. Now it's got all these obligations and my abuelita and my mother are making a huge deal about me not being here only because it's my fathers house I'm going to. I hate that when it comes down to things that I have to be the adult.

19. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mum is like that she gets all funny about the fact that we are seeing my father in law on Christmas Day this year. What are you hoping for this year? Anything nice?

20. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    silerhalo and HM03
    I just don't think I have ever opened up that much all at once is crazy to me. We talked for an hour and I have only ever told people one or two things in the course of weeks or even months. I'm not good at dealing with this stuff because neither of my parents understand mental illness and the things my mom says she doesn't even realize that I have the issues she calls "crazy". I know my dad deals with this stuff and he doesn't ever voice it out loud to himself much less anyone else. That's how I was taught to deal with stuff.