1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you alter/sew these...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlexJames, Dec 1, 2018.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The sweatshirts i ordered from hot topic came in. I was so excited to try them on. But they'er visibly a size too big on me. But i really wanted them. i was so dsyphoric and upset last night i cried over it twice to the point of a headache and i never cry. Can you alter a sweatshirt? Most of them are 50 to 60 percent cotton, and i believe polyester was the other material in them. Please help i don't wanna have to return all of them. I'm going to have to try to return 2 of them as it is. I just wanted to be able to wear men's sweaters on cold days not women's. But idk what i am doing either...please help? Is it possible, or will it ruin them? Is it easy to do with a hand sewing machine meant for quick fixes or will i need to shell out for an actual machine? I'm trying to avoid getting an actual machine. I might need to ask my mom to teach me how to sew at this point...I need to learn how to hem my own clothes. Cause there's no way i'm shelling out for a whole wardrobe's worth of clothes. I am going to try buying clothes from American Eagle and order them with fast shipping so they get here quick. I feel so defeated and dysphoric. I really just want to b able to shop and wear clothes that look like any other guy's clothes. Not ones that make me look more like a teenager than my height already makes me. And these sweaters are huge on me. But i like the designs and i don't want to have to return them. So i need to alter them somehow. Is it possible or will it ruin them? Or is there a quick fix of sorts that's machine washable - like i know they sell sticky little...sticker size things meant to alter your clothes for you but idk if they are durable and/or machine washable once applied. Or if they require an iron cuz i don't have an iron. Please my dysphoria's been kicking my ass lately its so fucking bad. I just want clothes. That is all that i wanted for christmas is clothes so i bought myself clothes and it has not turned out good at all.

2. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK, before you panic too much, dudes buy the wrong size clothes all the time, mostly because they don't try stuff on. If you return them, the clerks could care less, they are there to pay some bills or earn some cash. It's the holiday season and they are getting returns on all kinds of things. I think that altering something like a sweater would be challenging. Guys come in all shapes and sizes too, and sometimes finding clothes is hard. Maybe you can try men's sizes when you're there? Depending on if you are experiencing chest dysphoria, you can can go maybe one size up so it's not as form fitting. You got this man, you can do it!

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ones you're not planning on returning, I'd try throwing them in the dryer and see if that shrinks them at all.
    I'm sure it's probably possible to sew the inseam to make them smaller, I've never tried this with shirts/sweaters, and I guess it would depend on the material as well, but I would get your mom's opinion, or learn from her how to alter/mend clothes.

#3 Hawk, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Mihael, AlexJames and GreenRun like this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In which way are they too big? In the shoulders? Or are just overall loose? If the latter is true, then no need to worry.

You can also try to wear an extra layer over the sweater in order to conceal the places where it fits poorly. Like an additional bomber jacket or a motorcycle jakcet (that's what I do sometimes, but it's frigging cold over here, so it isn't too much clothes) or maybe a waistcoat/vest (not sure which is American, which is British word).

Washing them in somewhat higher temperature should also shrink clothes, but it's permanent, so if you want to risk...

AlexJames likes this.
  5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahh okay good idea with washing them! I might just wash the two i was gonna return to see how it affects them. I'm currently attempting to alter one of the ones i planned to keep; i just cut the arms to size to see how it looks. But it doesn't look good without the cuffs on so i'm gonna cut it a bit more and see if i can sew them back on.

But yeah its texas, its not gonna get cold enough here to warrant a sweater plus another layer on top of it. And yeah, they're overall loose. But in the body its okay, i mean if i wear it with a binder it'll look terrible i bet. In the arms its obvious and horrible. Like the arm seams are obviously hanging off a bit. If i can youtube learn how to redo seams, i think it'd help.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, male sweaters have the problem of extra space for shoulder muscles. I confirm. I gave up on them. But male hoodies are fine. And if you can find unisex looking female sweaters, then those are also good. Try looking into stroes that have a masculine style in general, like Levi's, Lee, Wrangler etc. Those clothes aren't cutesy, fortunately. You can get there regular fit jeans and a good old flannel that fit someone curvier.

AlexJames likes this.
  7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks this helps

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He