1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home workout?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlexJames, Nov 30, 2018.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to lose some weight and build muscle. I feel terribly dysphoric and this is the only thing i could think of. Like i'm open to following a cheap dvd or a youtube tutorial. Be it a workout or like some sort of martial arts tutorial type thing. I'd love to go jogging in the morning but my mom would never allow it lol plus i wanna feel more confident in my body firt. all the bus stop kids i'd have to pass. So yeah...any recommendations? youtube videos i could follow. dvds to buy. exercise routines to do. etc. This is the only alternative i have to just plain starving my woman's body off of me.

2. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Hey there. Exercise is very good if done properly. It can help you feel more confident and has shown to have antidepressant effects -not to say it can replace medication- but it can help. You might want to start slowly.

I'm not trans, but I'm trying to find ways to include exercise to my daily routine. My efforts have failed so far because I found most types of exercise boring and I've been surrounded by people who weren't all that active themselves.

I have found that the best thing is to take one thing at a time. For example, what are your goals? Are they realistic? Can you be specific about them? The more specific and realistic they are, the better.

Reading through forums can help you do the most important thing: make your mind clear so that you can set achievable goals.

After you know what you're looking for, the practice starts. A really helpful blog for me has been nerdfitness.com (partly because I'm a nerd) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hope you find the right routine for you!

#2 Silveroot, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
    GreenRun likes this.
  3. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

AlexJames likes this.
  4. Verklighet

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to get more muscle in my arms to make some of my
    masculine shirts look better on me and I talked to my father about it,
    and it came to that doing push-ups is a start. Sit-ups for your gut and back.
    Try three sets of eight every time.

Doing heavier sets (I mean "sets" as "weights") in a lower number (let's say lifting
    75 lbs ten times) will build more buff muscles. Doing more with a lighter weight
    will help you become more fit, but lean. You will gain some, but you're not gonna look
    like a body builder.

Maybe do six push-ups, six sit-ups in that pattern until you do three of each.
    I found this video once.

This is just my opinion, feel free to search for whatever. :slight_smile:
    I hope I've helped you.

AlexJames likes this.
  5. Verklighet

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The real key to working out is being realistic. Unless you're driven to becoming a powerlifter or pro bodybuilder, and almost nobody is, then take a good look in the mirror and decide what type of workout will play to your natural body type, not what you wish you were. This has nothing to do with gender, to be clear.
    Are you naturally short and stocky? Do higher weight lower rep lifting such as bench press, military press, weighted chin ups, weighted push ups (fill a backpack with books is a good way to add the weight), do squats with a friend on your back piggy back style.
    If you're tall and naturally lean like me, those are still good exercises, but know that you will never look like Magnus ver Magnusson unless you were to start using steroids. He was 90% there before ever lifting weights because genetics, sorry you can't change those.
    After 25 years of fitness training, I've seen time and time again that nothing will make you quit more often than chasing an unrealistic goal.
    So figure out your basic body type, endomorph, mesomorph (lucky if you're there because you can achieve either bigger and bulkier or lean fit look), or ectomorph. Then look at people, maybe celebrities, who have achieved your realistic desired look with the same basic body type.
    Here's the rules:
    1. Leave your ego at the door. This is rule 1 for a reason. There will always be someone bigger, leaner, faster, stronger.
    Even if you've never worked out before, everybody started on day one somewhere, and it may take years to get where you want.

2. Leave your ego at the door. I can't overstate this! Be patient, you'll get there.

3. Be consistent. If you decide to work out 4x per week, then stick to it. Inconsistency is what causes most exercise regimens to fail. You can't do one this week, three next week, none on vacation week, and expect results.

4. Drink lots of water. Two litres a day, minimum.

5. Eat lots. Your body will need the extra calories. Fish, eggs, rice, veg, beans, etc.
    No white sugar period. No white flour period. No alcohol is ideal. Cut back the salt to as little as possible. No fast food, no garbage.
    Your new snacks are unsalted nuts and popcorn. Ice cream (real ice cream) for a treat.

6. 8 hours sleep a night. Your body needs the recovery. Cheat the sleep, cheat the physique. Make sure you include rest days in your routine.

7. If you're just starting, as in this is your first serious regimen ever, start with your routine, but six weeks of a trimmed down version of the routine in terms of the weight itself, not the frequency or number of reps. This is because it takes your nervous system six weeks to adapt to the new load, and you can't be over sore one day to the next. So use your knees for your pushups, etc, lighter weights to start.
    This will help avoid injury.

8. Start with a warm up. 10 minutes of light jogging is good.

9. Stretch after your routine. Very important to avoid soreness the next day or injuries in the short or long term.

10. If you're doing weights, do ALL lifts slowly and controlled through the full range of motion. A trainer can show you if you can afford one.

11. If you're doing weights, forget the arm curls, triceps push down etc. No isolation exercises for the beginner. Learn the five basic lifts and do those, that's it, until you've mastered the techniques. That's at least a year.
    a. Back squats
    b. Deadlifts
    c. Bent over barbell row
    d. Military press
    e. Bench press.

Good luck!

7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for the help, everyone! I've been busy with work so i haven't had time to sit down and eat. i've been depressed too so i just wake up with just enough time to get ready for work. and then i'm there all day. i'll sit and look at these at length and make up some realistic goals and a routine for myself hopefully early next week. thanks again guys i really appreciate this.

Verklighet, Silveroot and Brandy Bee like this.
  8. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Best idea in the world. For lots of reasons, which you and above responders have pointed out. It worked (continues to work) for me.

That seems weird (to me). Why is that?

That won't work, for reasons you probably already know. (I assume you weren't totally serious anyway.)

This. The best way (maybe the only practical way) to get regular about exercise is to have buddies to share it and to be responsible to. Good luck! I recommend running clubs or so-called "Masters" swim groups. (Masters sounds like it means old people or experts, but it just means swimming after high school.) Weights are always good, and become more and more important with each year you age. Getting coaching or training advice on those is pretty vital. Can you join a nearby "Y" or health club? (You could be dysmorphic about dressing/undressing so that would be an obstacle.)

[Hey @Silveroot, nice new avatar.]

#8 beenthrdonetht, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Silveroot likes this.
  9. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Thanks! Did you change your avatar too? I like it.

This is some good advice too. Basically this whole thread has been inspiring for me as well.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread inspired me ha ha. I have no time for exersice and it gives me such bad mood! A 10 minutes workout every day is realistic, though. Oh I wish I had a six-pack :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But doing some crunches regularly helped a little, I hope. I mean, not neccesarily a six pack, but a soft belly is such a shame.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The following links have some workout routines that you may help you to get started at home:star

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

However, please note this:

Be careful while exercising alone. One of the advantages of going to a gym is that you have professional helping you. That is especially useful in case something goes wrong. If you are feeling some kind of pain that is different from the usual soreness of a day after exercising, then go see a doctor.

Respect the limits of your body. No one is going to become The Hulk after exercising for a week. Of course, you are going to feel tired while exercising, and that is good to a certain point. However, if you are feeling cramps, pain or extremely tired while exercising, stop immediately. If it doesn't go away, go see a doctor. Doing things alone (at least for a start) is a possibility, but respect the limits of your body and always warm up first.

Be careful with stupid motivational speech/entrepreneurs trying to be scientists.
    Trying to find motivation is important, and some messages like that may help you to "get in the mood". However, be careful with these messages, especially the ones that try to make things look too easy and/or mention "studies that support X or Y", without actually mentioning a good number of recent studies you can take a look at.

---->That is also true for the site i recommended above
    : There are interesting tips and texts in that site, but there is also some content that isn't really great (especially texts about diet - I think it tries too hard to sell some ideas that aren't well consolidated on the scientific area. There are some studies, but nothing solid in some cases). In resume: Use the internet in your favor, but don't believe on everything you are reading/seeing. The internet can provide you with useful information, but no one becomes a physical health professional just by looking at "easy-to-do" guides.

Starving isn't an alternative. When it comes to eating, you have to try small and permanent changes. If you "go on a diet", or just suddenly start to eat a lot less than you usually do, chances are that you will regain that weight very fast once you stop eating like that. Furthermore, it may not be healthy for you, since you could cut off important nutrients in your diet.

I recommend that you go to a nutritionist. That is the best way to find a plan that works for you.

Alternatively, if you can't go to a nutritionist for now, try small, permanent changes, without trying to change the world over night. If you eat pizza 4 times a week (that's was me in a recent past!), you shouldn't try to flood yourself in motivational speeches and try to stop eating pizza for months, while saying "I will eat healthy meals everytime and everyday!". In most cases, you will end up failing and returning to eating those things.

Instead, go slow. Try to cut back on junk food: If you eat it 4 times a week, try to eat 2 times per week. Or just 3 to start, that's fine. But make it permanent.

If all your meals are unhealthy, try to have at least 1 healthy meal per day, everyday. Make it permanent. Then, when it is easy, increase the challenge. But go slow.

Finally, remember: Water and fruits are your friends. There are people who don't drink enough water, and, sometimes, you are thirsty, not hungry. Also, fruits are healthy, sweet and they can help you to feel satisfied - eat more fruits. I love bananas and papaya - Find the ones you like and change them ocasionally, so you can eat different types of nutrients.

Silveroot and AlexJames like this.
  12. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ευχαριστώ in return. A cute octopus seems more apt than the creepy one. (Too reminiscent of That Guy whose hands are all over the wrong places.)

Silveroot likes this.