1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter clothes shopping cause dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlexJames, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any other AFAB short people have good clothing brands to recommend me? I identify as transmasculine nonbinary, to be specific, but transguy works too. I REALLY need some good winter shirts and sweatshirts. I've been so painfully dysphoric lately. I've heard H&M said a lot, what's their XS fit like? I'm only 5ft tall, 120lbs, so buying clothes is hard. With shirts, i can do a boys 14/16 from walmart just fine. The collar can be a bit tighter than i prefer, but they fit, and between that and hot topic thats where all my summer clothes came from. I have a few Faded Glory 14/16 boys plaid shirts to throw over a short sleeve shirt...but i just want more. Like clothes to help me look more square and not see my hips but not to the point that i'm drowning in it and look like i'm wearing my dad's shirts. I've wanted for SO LONG to just be able to wear normal mens shirts...not just graphic shirts marketted at teens. Like a normal hoodie sweatshirt or one of those baseball shirts that have the shoulders and sleeves a different color. I see so many of my coworkers or youtubers wearing normal shirts and i want them and it physically hurts that i can't just say hey where'd you get that and go out and buy that same shirt.

I'm not even gonna touch pants right now that's way too dysphoria triggering to even consider. So just...any brands that sell XS sizes that work well on trans bodies with my stats? Remember, 5ft tall and like 120 pounds last time i measured myself. I wear a size 8 pants in women's sizes and a size 4/6 shirt in women's sizes, and a 14/16 XL shirts in boys.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does your Walmart sell polos in your size? It might help having a button-front if the collar's a bit tight.

I'm 5'8", 130lbs and I like to shop at Aeropostale. I'm usually either a S or XS depending on what it is, and they carry smaller sizes that I can't find elsewhere. The only thing, it is marketed towards young adults, so they do have a collection of graphic tees, but they also have plain T's as well, you just have to look for them. I find the polo's are a bit more "mature-looking", and you can't go wrong with the jeans.

AlexJames likes this.
  3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, i've bought boys 14/16 polos. I have a few but i consider them work shirts. And thanks, i'll look at aeropostale. I think a 20-something guy can probably get away with it lol

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AlexJames likes this.
  5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh okay i'll look into these! thanks! Yeah i'm unusually small so maybe it'd work for me haha, H&Ms i mean. Thanks again!

6. TheChair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am 5'4 and around 130 pounds. I find the H&M sweaters in a size medium to be perfect. I usually wear a small, but the sweaters are a little different from what I was expecting. In terms of sizing, I do have slightly broad shoulders and like to wear loose fitting clothing.

AlexJames likes this.
  7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might not be a trendy place, but have you tried looking a western/farm and ranch stores? Levis or Carharts come in smaller boy sizes and as an added bonus they usually last a little longer so your money goes a bit further. Straight leg or boot cut would square you out a little bit. And you live in Texas so its not like you would look out of place. You could likely find some solid plain color button work shirts with a better collar at them too.

Mihael likes this.
  8. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are a slightly similarish build I think - I’ve had to learn to laugh about the law of sod being that if I like it, they won’t have my size! At least it’s less stuff to be indecisive over.

You said not to look at jeans but just a advice what I do is I buy cuffed joggers, jeans - I’ll get skinny’s I can tuck into the top of high tops/dr Martins and bootcut/straight leg I’ll go get turned up at a tailors.

In England we have a store called Next, I checked online to see if you had them and found next direct - I don’t know f you have stores or not - they are ideal for jumpers etc mid range prices. I mean go to a store and it’s like everything is mostly jumpers of some kind of variety. I buy S for a general fit, Xs for fitted and I also like oversizing so will get a M for baggy or L for what I call a ‘boyfriend jumper’ - essentially just anything for lounging on the couch that’s warm and baggy and comfy.

#8 Molko, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    AlexJames likes this.