1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gender do you identify as? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GreenRun, Oct 21, 2018.

?

What gender do you primarily identify as?

1. Binary female

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Binary male

29 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Nonbinary

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Genderqueer

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Genderfluid

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Androgyne

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Agender

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Bigender

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Demigender

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. Something else enitrely

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Let's talk about bi. Essentially it means two, and it comes up a lot in LGBTQ delineations.

Ok, so... there's gender identity, that's how you feel. It is the way you are most comfortable in society. You might not be perfect at it, but it is who you identify being. In your case, you feel male, you say you are masculine, so you presumably have a "binary" gender identity of male. When someone uses the term binary, they mean male or female genders. Like coding, it's all 1's and 0's. It is possible to identify outside of the standard male/female concepts. This is where you find descriptors like trans, pan, androgyny, cis, poly, queer, etc. Bi-gender also refers to gender identity, and this means a person feels 2 genders, distinctly, either at the same time or switching between them.

Sexuality is simply what you find arousing. In this, bisexual would mean you experience arousal for 2 genders, typically male and female. Terms such as bi, homo, hetero, trans, etc. fit in here. If you identify as male, and you are sexually aroused by men, you would be a homosexual male. If you are not just capable of being aroused by women, but enjoy the arousal of both men and women, you would be bisexual. The degree from which you go from homo/hetero to bisexual is up to you.

Biological gender is strictly referring to chromosomal gender. Some people will include genitalia in this definition, but intersex people are born along a spectrum where this is not as clearly defined and it is especially important to allow them to develop their gender identity, rather than having it assigned at birth.

Rade likes this.
  2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much for explaining. It's all new to me. I only understood gay, lesbian and bi, trans. There was a guy at the LGBT meet who said he identified as queer. The term queer was used alot when I was a kid. What does he mean?
    Warm regards to you ..

UMedusa likes this.
  3. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Queer is an umbrella term, so you will hear it a lot. It typically refers to your identity/biology/sexuality not being typically aligned, in one way or another.

The term genderqueer is specific to identity, or how you feel, and you can think of it as a way of saying, "different." Like, I am not male or female, I am different from those, or a combination of them.

Rade likes this.
  4. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There are many ways to describe yourself. Language has it's limitations, but it IS helpful to know that homosexuality and gender identity comes in many shapes and sizes. Be You. :slight_smile:

5. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as bi-gender, but both binary female *and* binary male. Today I'm a guy.

UMedusa likes this.
  6. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as a binary female completely. The times I remember being able to dress in line with my gender identity, whether it was at home or at work (one of the perks of running your own business [before it, unfortunately, folded] when you know you won't have customers in and no one else was in the office), I always felt 100% at ease and could function completely. Presenting as my assigned gender, I have more bad days than good, but there are times when I do feel ok enough to where I can function fully and be enjoyable to be around.

UMedusa likes this.
  7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trans woman. surprised that, that isn't in there.

8. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I put something else entirely. Mostly because I dislike labels, but also because none of them do I identify with.
    I don't feel like I am binary because for me that has too many expectations I can't live up to.
    Androgyne/Demi/Bi/ would all fit at certain times or days, but so would others. I'm just me.

GreenRun likes this.
  9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm trans male, but I present as agender. So in that sense I'd be better suited as a "non-binary male".

#29 AnAtypicalGuy, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    GreenRun likes this.
  10. Sweldon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put genderqueer because I haven't figured out whether I'm nonbinary, genderfluid, or agender at this point.

GreenRun likes this.
  11. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted for Genderqueer though I do identify as being trans and queer. GQ was the best way i found i could describe myself years back when i started binding, like i struggled to accept being trans, couldn’t identify sexuality either and the term Queer just felt right across the board. Maybe not ‘correct’ but its what i adopted to describe myself when people asked for years and I’m found of it.

So I am a transgender queer - thats what works for me.

GreenRun likes this.