1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how does everyone here feel about "political" queerness?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Love4Ever, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I know there is a TON of debate on this issue and this is a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I don't want to start any arguments I just wanted to see what people think. Do you think it's possible for people to choose their sexuality? Do you think someone can choose to be queer? Should they be treated like anyone else in the community? Does it matter whether a person became queer by choice or was born with their attractions? I'm honestly just curious on people's thoughts on this subject since it has been written about and discussed elsewhere online. I know political lesbianism used to be a bigger thing but I didn't want to restrict it to discussing only that because that leaves men out. Again, I know some people will be very sensitive to this but I honestly just want to hear your thoughts.

Meander likes this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I titled this political queeerness but I know some people prefer the term queer by choice. This woman actually has a whole website dedicated to it and men and women were relating their experiences with this. There also are various women in the media, (again, I'm sorry I couldn't find any men as examples), like Cynthia Nixon and Julie Bindel who said they chose to be lesbians. It is out there on the internet and there are articles about it so I wanted to see what people thought.

#2 Love4Ever, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Meander likes this.
  3. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    From what I understand, gender identity is formed in childhood and becomes expressed in adolescence. The jury is out on how much of that is nature and how much is nurture, but most research indicates they both play a role.

When someone has a gender identity that is different from the heavily binary society we have tolerated for eons, they are left with a complicated dichotomy reconciling their sense of self and their social-sexual role. This may present as a "choice" to be a lesbian, but it is probably far more complicated when you strip away the layers. Attraction comes in many forms. Romantic attraction, sexual attraction and camaraderie are all very powerful influences in intimate relationships through life. Finding a perfect match is frankly, unlikely. Many people are fluid in what they prioritize with a partner, often with overlap amongst these traits, rather than fluid strictly in a manifestation of sexuality.

As a minority community, we should have increased empathy and absolutely accept and support each other as we make sense of who we are. Discrimination of queer identification in that it is less pure than binary identification homosexuality is inaccurate and bigoted. It diminishes someone that already feels a split or undefined identity.

GreenRun likes this.
  4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't personally think someone can genuinely "pick" to be on either of the extremes of the spectrum (be it straight or gay/lesbian) as I don't believe you can decide who you are attracted to, BUT I do believe you can decide who you date.

Someone could be gay and chose to date the opposite sex (we see it a lot on here), and obviously the other way around, a woman could be straight and yet decide to date exclusively women due to bad experiences with men or because she is sick of men or whatever other motive... Do I believe people who are straight and/or gay and date the opposite of what they naturally are attracted to by choice are fully fulfilled and happy? No. Do I think they deserve respect? Yes, but I also think it's important they acknowledge the fact that they are chosing who they are DATING not what their sexuality is. Because implying that sexuality is a natural choice can really damage the LGBTQ+ community as it implies that there is a "cure" or that gay people are just being beligerent by refusing to oblige to the norm even though they could which is obviously very problematic (especially in today's political climate!).

Personally I think the only people who can potentially be fully fulfilled "picking" a side are bisexuals people, but even then, I don't think bi people who exclusively date the same-sex are gay by choice, I think they are bi and chosing to exclusively date people of the same-sex.

So to answer your question, no I don't think someone can chose to be queer, but they can definitely chose to live a queer "lifestyle".

#4 Lin1, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Meander and GreenRun like this.
  5. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Frankly I don't get it. One doesn't have to become an animal to promote animal rights. (Nevermind the fact that humans are animals too. Animals that are not humans is what I mean.)

If someone feels a genuine attraction towards same sex, they can call themselves whatever it feels relevant to them. But if a cisgendered person has not felt genuine romantic/sexual attraction towards the same sex at all, yet calls themselves bi/gay/queer/etc....

Then I'd have so many questions to ask. Yes anyone can choose their own label, but it shouldn't be treated as some role-playing game.

GreenRun likes this.
  6. tystnad

tystnad Guest

I think it's something that we need to be careful not to generalize about or make too many assumptions about, because we cannot feel what someone feels or what exactly someone means when they say they're a political gay/lesbian / gay by choice. I think the reason you find this more within lesbian circles is because the union of women has always been considered a threat to the patriarchy and also been used as such: nothing pisses a heteronormative, patriarchal society off more than women refusing to be with men.

Broadly speaking, I'd say there are three categories:
    1. people who are actually straight and pretend to be gay
    2. people who are bisexual but choose to be with only one gender and feel like gay/lesbian better describes their situation (as i've discussed in another topic)
    3. people who are gay and use the words 'political' and 'choice' in a different way than it may seem on the surface.

The first category is actually the one I think is least common, especially as a lifelong thing, because like @Linning says, living a life pretending like that is likely to be unfulfilling and incredibly difficult to actually keep up. As for the political lesbianism movement, I have to wonder how many of these women weren't lesbians to begin with - and that's something that we'll never know, because we cannot actually feel what they felt and determine if their attraction was real or not. I'm a bit conflicted about whether really calling sexuality a choice is beneficial, because on the one hand it does make it seem as though it's something that can be changed and therefore helps homophobes argue against it... but on the other hand, i would want people's sexualities to be supported EVEN IF it was a choice and not something inherent to us. To me the origin of sexuality shouldn't have to matter in whether or not we consider a person worthy of being respected.

The second category I've discussed before so I don't want to repeat too much, but one could argue that these people are the ones who really make a choice - whether they want to acknowledge their full range of attractions or just a part of it. In my opinion, if you're attracted to multiple genders but actively chose to only be with one gender, it's perfectly okay to call yourself gay. We don't get to police the way other people feel, and as long as a label communicates clearly to the outside where someone stands (ie 'i am a woman who only dates women'), it should be fine.

The last is one that is dear to me because I would say I chose to be gay. Not because I would otherwise have been straight, but because I felt like there was a choice: a choice between living a lie and pretending to be straight, and being true to myself and identifying as gay. I chose to be gay because the alternative would've killed me. There's a lot of power in posing it as a choice rather as something inevitable: it gives you full authority over something, it removes you from the victim position and puts you in charge. You're not a victim of your sexuality but you're in control of it - that's what that word means for me.
    As for the word political - in my opinion, sexualities are always politicalised, even if we don't want to, because it defies the norms our current society has build. The personal is political, not just in terms of womanhood but also in terms of sexuality. To accept yourself when the world tells you you're abnormal is political. To come out is political. To live your truth in a world not designed for you is political. That is not to say I expect anyone who is LGBT to be a loud advocate or anything - just that every time someone comes out and lives their truth, they make the world a tiny bit more accepting, and that is political in itself.
    My queerness is political, it is radical, and to live my truth was a choice. Those are ways to use those words as well without ever meaning you're actually straight but just pretending to be gay.

I suppose I don't have an issue with 'political queerness' so much because I doubt there are actually that many people pretending to be gay for political reasons, but all the more queer people who find comfort in calling their sexuality (or gender, for that matter) political rather than something natural they have no control over. And I don't doubt the fact that there are way more people who are, indeed, sexually attracted to the same gender calling themselves 'political lesbians' or whatever than is sometimes suggested by it merely being a political choice, especially those who make a lifelong commitment to it! I do think pretending you're gay when you're not is not a great thing - but policing it too strictly would just exclude many people who are LGBT but have a hard time coming to terms with it or whatever.

7. UMedusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    SO TRUE. If you're happy and you know it, clap those hands. La dee da. Approval and understanding for lesbians is rare.

Meander and GreenRun like this.
  8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't date a "political lesbian" or a full on gay man who wants a wife as a cover. I want to feel loved. I used to date someone who wasn't into me. It was awful.

Of course, everyone should decide for themselves what to do with their life, to be unhappy too. But I don't want to take part in it, because I want to be happy and I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things if I end up with a man or a woman. Or if anyone else does, really.

As for if I think one can choose who tbey love, no, I don't think they can. But they can decide whether to act on it and how.

Sebby45, GreenRun and UMedusa like this.
  9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have really enjoyed reading the responses. I am so glad we were able to keep things civil. I think it is so important to talk about these things because it is usually not discussed. I'll admit I was nervous at first by bringing this up but like I said, it is out there on the internet, it definitely used to be more of a thing and in the last two years or so, perhaps due to the political climate? it has been revived. In my personal opinion, which I have stated elsewhere on here I think when someone mentioned this several months ago, I am in agreement that to me at least it doesn't matter whether someone is gay by choice or queer by choice or bi by choice or what have you. It doesn't hurt anyone in my view, it's none of my business, and it just doesn't matter. A lot of homophobic people DO use this as ammunition against people saying that they could choose to be straight, but to me, they're the problem, not the queer by choice people. And if someone feels they're happier being queer rather than straight, if they feel more fulfilled or what have you, then to me they should be able to do what they want. Queer by choice people to me aren't the problem the homophobes are. If a person is choosing to be queer in the face of all odds, despite it being easier to be straight in the current world we live in, then I don't see why people would malign them. After all, if they're willing to give up their hetero privilege to join us, then they're not making their lives easier but harder. A lot of people would argue why someone would willingly make their life harder but again this ties into personal happiness, beliefs etc. It still is not easy to be queer in this world, so if someone is willing to make sacrifices to live that way, idk that to me shows a huge amount of loyalty to the queer community, which is why I would not reject someone based on whether they chose to be queer or not. If they have aligned themselves with us then they're one of us imho.

#9 Love4Ever, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Meander and UMedusa like this.
  10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In which way do you mean accepting or rejecting such people? Attending LGB events? Being friends with them? Dating them? Or do you mean why people are so hateful about this sometimes?

11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of the above.

12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This conversation has been very conciliatory, but I know some people in the community are very vocal and upset about people who identify this way and say that they don't belong. Which has never made sense to me because you would think of all people they would be accepting. I also don't see where any offense lies? So many people seem offended at the very idea but why? I mean if someone wanted to be queer so much they decided to join us isn't that essentially a compliment to the queer community? That despite all the obstacles someone was so inspired and convinced they'd be happier that they left their privilege behind? Obviously being queer must have been tremendously appealing in some way to motivate them to do this.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless it comes to dating in which area I have some experiences, whatever floats your boat, really. But hey, it's me and my needs, sex matters to me a lot, but for someone else it might work out better.

I think the offense stems from it being hard to find other gay folks. When you finally reach that gay space, you don't want heteros to get in your way any more. It stems from frustration trying to flirt with the heteros. And being hit on by them. You want to finally meet people with whom the feeling is mutual. It's a hard and frustrating search.

Additionally, heteros have strange ideas about being gay sometimes. Those preconceptions don't gain you popularity. Being political might come across as one of those silly unrealistic ideas.

You would be surprised at the number of straight gals who go to gay clubs... don't get me wrong... but I was looking for a gay/bi gf. Not for another girl who freaks out and is turned off when I ask her out.

So that might be why.

14. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do believe a lot of the offense comes from the fact that many gay people actually don't want to be gay so when someone who isn't gay comes in their space and say " Well look at me I am not gay but I chose to be" implying they could do the same (or that it's easy aka slightly undermining their struggle), it can be frustrating, also I don't think being gay and chosing to be gay is the same thing. People who chose to be gay can decide to step away from the "lifestyle" and everything that implies, leaving all the hardship behind, queer people don't get to do that. Someone who is gay might decide to go back to the opposite sex but they will still be denying their true identity, it's not the same.

It bothers me when female friends who aren't queer at all joke about going to women instead because men are terrible for example. And while I can fully comiserate with their struggles with men I don't like people implying that being queer is easier or that queer women are with women because men aren't good enough. My sexuality with women has nothing to do with men, what I feel towards men is totally separated to what I feel towards women so jokes like that make my life as a queer woman more difficult. So when straight people decide to live the queer life and feel like they represent actual queer people. I believe it can be problematic.

Most people on this forum come from developed countries with mostly protective laws for queer people and for the most part we don't have to fear for our life on a daily basis, but in countries where there are very few rights available for LGBTQ+ people and the government is waiting on any kind of excuses to beat up on queer people. Implying that sexuality is a choice (and therefore that gay people are willingly chosing to make the wrong choice) can genuinely be desastrous.

That being said, I do think they should be welcome to LGBTQ+ events as allies are (and especially as they are impacted as much as us by LGBTQ+ rights) and I personally can't see why people would refuse to befriend them but I personally wouldn't date them no. I want someone who dates me because they like me and are genuinely attracted to me, not because they have talked themselves into liking girls. (It's different if it's a bi girl who has decided to exclusively date women as she is naturally attracted to women.)

#14 Lin1, Oct 25, 2018
    Meander likes this.
  15. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I imagine they were somewhere on the bisexual spectrum to begin with. I don't think it's possible for a 100% straight person to show physical intimacy towards someone of the same sex without a strong repulsive reflex. Unless they trained themselves to not automatically pull away. I don't think anyone is THAT dedicated.

Meander and Rade like this.
  16. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess they would receive but not give? Though women I know who identify as straight 100% and non-curious are usually very repulsed by the idea of being sexual with another woman, so I agree they most likely would be in the spectrum somewhere.

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course the women also might feel repulsed because they have internalized homophobia as well. I understand that because I deal with that. I wish I didn't though. I never realized until recently how much baggage I have in that department and I honestly don't know why.

#17 Love4Ever, Oct 25, 2018
    UMedusa likes this.
  18. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

By "pull away" I just meant not want to engage in any physical forms of affection including mouth kissing/holding hands etc.

19. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean by this, but if that were true and the hatred were because of women refusing to be with men, then gay men would be celebrated and loved by straight men because they're removing themselves as competition. If there are 3 guys and 1 girl, that's a difficult competition to win the girl. If one of the guys is gay, suddenly it's a whole lot easier for both of the remaining two to get what they want. There would be no reason to hate gay guys, they'd be every straight guy's best friend, a dude they can talk to about dude stuff without having to worry about their girl being stolen.

As for the original post - Straight, gay, and lesbian I don't think are ever a choice. Bisexual...kind of might be. While it would be really hard to completely override natural attraction and switch totally to the other gender, it would be substantially easier to mentally convince yourself you like both genders and essentially 'force' yourself to become bisexual for whatever reason, including for political stuff.

Also, thank you for trying to include men in the question, that is appreciated.

#19 Destin, Oct 25, 2018
  20. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course. I know political lesbianism is more of a thing and the people who are in the queer by choice camp tend to be women, but there ARE examples of men who identify this way so I certainly didn't want to assume or make guys feel like this didn't apply to them. In fact, I just was on a website where a man said he chose to be gay because he felt more comfortable with men and and he liked feeling pursued, whereas with women he felt the pressure to pursue them. He liked being submissive and felt that more men were receptive to this. So despite still being attracted to women he went to gay bars to be picked up by men instead.

UMedusa, Meander and Destin like this.