1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Generation do you belong to?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawk, Oct 16, 2018.

?

What generation do you belong to?

1. Traditionalists or "Silent Generation" (1945 and before)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Baby Boomers (1946-1964)

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Generation X (1965-1976)

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Generation Y or Millennial's (1977-1995)

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  5. Generation Z or Centennials (1996 and later)

26 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generation Y it seems. I never really paid attention to this before. :slight_smile:

#21 Sebby45, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Destin We don't know yet what life will be like for someone born today. It will be more technologically advanced than today. You can't compare the world in 2001 (my year of birth) to 2018, and in the same way, can't compare 2018 to 2035 when they will be my age (and I'll be 33 onto 34).
    One example, I remember the world before iPhones. Kids born today will have iPhones relatively young.
    And as for security, it wasn't that long ago that terrorism was less prominent. I grew up when that was a case and it was only when I became a teen that it became more of an issue.

What I consider my generation are those born up to 5 years earlier and 5 years later than me.

#22 Joe2001, Oct 17, 2018
  3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting, I am born in 1995 and have a brother born in 2001, I wouldn't say my brother is of my generation, I actually believe he has more in common with people born in recent years (though of course those people will have different teenage years and lives than my brother did), I smiled when you mentioned life without iPhone because while I do remember the first iPhone, I also very much remember life without a phone or the first phones with no option to take pictures or do anything but call and spend extortionate amount of money to send a text that would take you about half an hour to type.

I am sure my brother has memories of life with fewer technology as he now have but he still grew up at the peak of technology and they have always been a big part of his life. I am sure he would have no idea how to use most of the things I grew up with as a child, the mentality/parenting style was also very different before 2001, my brother benefited from a much more permissive style of parenting than I did.

I do think though that with technology, new generations start and end much quicker than in the past.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't think people born in '78 say the same thing about '95? That they don't relate to the "younger" Millennial's?
    If you read the article, you would have seen that generations do vary by geography and that's why you'll see some articles say anywhere from '95 to '99 is considered "Millennial". However, another determining factor in a generation is based on global events and what people remember and can understand about what had taken place.

https://genhq.com/faq-info-about-generations/

#24 Hawk, Oct 17, 2018
  5. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course they would think that. 17 years is a large age difference.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1991 is solidly millennial. No cusps to deal with.

To be frank, I find generational divisions to be somewhat ludicrous and not particularly useful for making generalizations about human nature or behavioral trends. It's just one more way that we can divide and separate everyone to make our understanding of the world a little easier at the expense of honesty and individuality.

Or, you know, I love avocado toast and skinny jeans and iPhones and saying "new phone, who dis?" like all millennials. I'm also killing every dinosaur industry.

7. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Born in 1985. I don't really fit the millennial label. Even though I like all the technology we have, something about it just kinda bugs me. Definitely feel like I'm more culturally in tune with Generation X. May have quite a bit to do with growing up in southern Wisconsin where, much like Hobbiton, changes are slower to come (which is kinda surprising when considering the major cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Chicago and Saint Louis are all within driving distance). I mean, after all, I did witness the chaos that erupted after the fall of communism and the Soviet Union, the Berlin Wall coming down, that Desert Storm was an actual war and not a crappy video game, the rise of the Internet and so much more. Heck, I watched 9-11 happen on live TV and it strikes me as very odd (and makes me feel old) that the event is now in history textbooks so kids can learn about it even though it happened 17 years ago...

8. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am in generation z. I will turn 22 at the end of this year.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generation Y - 1988

10. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gen Z. Untill today I thought 1998 belonged to Millenials.

11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to this article, Generation Z. I don't tend to bother with generations too much because they vary a lot, it's ridiculous. Some sites have Generation Z listed as starting from 2010, and by that definition I am definitely not Generation Z. If technology is a defining factor in generations, then household income and geographical location has a significant impact on this. My friend who is one year older than me grew up with dial up, I did not. He had dial up until he was about 10 or 11, whereas my family had moved on from dial up when I was born. So even though we are in the same generation, we have different experiences.

My sister is five years older than me. I was born in the very late 90's, so I lack first-hand experience of what it was like to grow up in the 90's. Whereas when you compare that to my sister, she has experienced that decade more than I have. She remembers 90's bands she grew up with that I only know of because she's either told me about them, or I've seen them on a countdown of top 90's hits on TV. Usually when you see those posts that say "Only 90's babies will understand" they are usually aimed at people who grew up in the early to mid 90's, or sometimes at people who would've been teenagers at the time. I sometimes relate to videos called "things only Noughties kids will get", but it does vary because sometimes the content is aimed at people who were kids in that decade, but other times it includes stuff that only people who were teenagers during the Noughties would use.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generation X. The rebellious, sort, who, though is 'smart', and went to college, has very much struggled to make a living, and still is. At least the music was awesome, even if I did have to suffer though 8 years of Ronald Reagan!!!

13. bzkilintn

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Generation Y, 1992.
    I read a Gizmo article a couple of days ago listing the 100 most influential websites, and screenshots of their early site layouts. Reading it was such a throwback. I remember being at school before computers were a regular thing (I'm from a small village though so maybe we were behind), and they decided to build an IT lounge, full on huge desktops. Everyone complained about it being a waste of money, and we had IT lessons where we were taught how to plug everything in, use a search engine (Ask Jeeves was the original choice). We had floppy disks with our names on too!

My cousin is only 4 years older than me though, and I feel like she's a totally different generation. Maybe it's just because we're polar opposites.

14. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another Gen Xer here; I was born in 71

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's precisely it, though - demarcating generations requires arbitrary lines be drawn and some ambiguity will be present. The life of someone in the silent generation born in 1944 almost certainly has more in common with someone born in 1946 than with someone born in 1930, because they will possess no memory of the war or subjective knowledge of what life before it was like. But to mark those whose experiences coincided with the war itself and those for whom the war's aftermath was the greatest social consideration, a date has to be affixed somewhere. The early boomers certainly leak into the late silent generation. The difference still matters in understanding social experience.

The line between 1995 and 1996 marks a point at which someone's life experience more likely than not impacted by the overwhelming presence of personal technology. The distinction between Millennials and Generation X is arbitrary in where the line is specifically drawn, but it's a real difference nonetheless. Someone born in 1995 would have been eight years old and capable of forming fairly strong memories and basic social awareness by the time the invasion of Iraq happened in 2003. Someone born in 2000 would have only caught up with that level of development at the time of the 2008 Recession. The way people around them behaved will have been different to some significant degree.

The accuracy of a generational marker depends on where a person was born, too. Any given person born in 1990s London was likely surrounded by personal technology a few years sooner than someone born in rural Queensland, so when people stopped being Millennials might realistically be different for them. The attitudes (and economic conditions) of the silent generation carried on far longer in Southern Ireland than in most of the West. A generational marker exists in the democratisation of the Iberian Penninsula in the 1970s, or for liberation for those East of the Iron Curtain in the early '90s, that doesn't exist in the same way for other Westerners.

--

I'm Gen Z. I only know a technology-saturated world, have never experienced recession (an experience very different from someone born in the same year living in America or Britain) and only know of politics in the national security era. Those are hugely significant to my identity and experience, no matter how much I have in common with a lot of Millennials.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like a lot of people born '77-'85 would have difficulty seeing themselves as Millenials. *shrugs*

Time-wise I'm a millenial, but I've always felt more like a Generation X type of person. Maybe it's that I spent my formative years in a small, rural area where it felt like technology was 10 years behind the "real world." ...

17. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah ...great ..age is only a number...hasn't the world changed since we were kids, well in the UK it's so much busier, shops closed on a subday, now some are open 24 hrs a day . No internet lol....

18. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born in 1975 and it was literally a different world in the UK back then, so much change and millions more people on this tiny island.....now.

19. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty solidly in the "millenial" generation, being born in 1987... I'm kind of not millenial identifying though, or at least going by the definition the boomers have for us, which is actually Gen Z they're talking about when they bitch, not us. At least it seems that way most times.

20. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

It looks as though the boomers and Xers have influenced Gen Z to bitch about us as well. We're basically sandwiched between two generations that hate us and project onto us all sorts of weird ideas about who we are. It doesn't look promising to be honest, especially recently with the backwash of social decency. Our brains have been pumped full of nearly obsolete social programming.