1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any tips for a very anxious trans kid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by toothpaste, Oct 10, 2018.

1. toothpaste

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hello! I'm trans (probably transmasc/nb but i'm still figuring things out) and i'm on my period and it kind of sucks. I already struggle with really bad anxiety and depression (like, so bad i can't go to school and barely get out of bed everyday), so the whole trans and periods thing is Very hard to deal with. I dunno. Things just feel very Wrong and I really don't like how it feels to have my body (if that makes sense??). Yesterday we were out of pads and I had to ask my mom to get some and everything just feels wrong. I've barely done anything like transition-wise because i just don't know what to do because I don't know what i am and everything is hard and scary and feels so wrong. so like does anyone have any tips for a very anxious trans kid trying to feel better? Its really hard for me to do anything at all, so it'd been kind of hard for me to do anything about the whole i'm trans thing so some help would be greatly appreciated. thank youuu

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your anxiety sounds like it needs clinical help. Seeing a therapist (scary, I know!) is the best way to start making progress. Seeing a psychiatrist can also help, because they can give you meds that aid in reducing anxiety. In fact that would be the best combination of therapist + meds to help you reach a point where you aren't so anxious. Too nervous? Ask someone to come with you. Not being able to function normally day to day is your main problem. Solve that, then deal with your body issues. Not trying to be harsh, just stating that daily life comes first. Try to come up with good self care ideas, that may not involve your body...things you enjoy.

Body dysphoria can make your anxiety worse, so I understand what you mean about your period being uncomfortable, but believe me, once you clear up the chaos in your everyday life, you'll be better prepared to deal with things like this and try to make changes.

Take care.

3. toothpaste

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply! I do actually see a therapist and a psychiatrist and take meds but they haven't been helping enough for things to really get better yet. I've been seeing them for almost a year and we're still trying to find the right treatment. However, my gender and sexuality confusion hasn't really been dealt with, and my therapist and psychiatrist can't do much about it, so I'm doing my best to find options despite my other problems. Thanks again for your support, i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome. It looks like you are working through the right channels. I hope that you hit on the right treatment soon! :slight_smile:

5. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, I know how you feel and it will get better.
    Second, try switching up your perspective a bit. Your actions shouldn't be defined by what you are, but what you are should (or at least can) be defined by how you act. You don't need to figure out your identity in order to transition. A lot of trans people get stuck trying to pick a label for themselves and end up confused and disoriented. Take it step by step. What you do need to figure out is what you want. What do you want to change? Do you want to look a certain way? Once you figure out what you want to change, your identity will start to become clearer. A lot of transition and feeling comfortable with yourself is trial and error. Test things out, see what works for you. Decide what you are later.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anxiety sucks, it took me a while to find something that worked for me, so do be too discouraged in that regard. The biggest advice that I can give is pick some things to focus on. It sounds like right now you are overwhelming yourself, and that probably does not help your anxiety. I would try to pick some things that you can focus on. One of the first things that I did was try to present more masculine with my clothing. I did this first in private and then started to dress more masculine in public.