1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Republicans legalize ban on LGBT adoption

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BothWaysSecret, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A girl I went to high school is like in constant support of this and always tweets and retweets about it. I find it disgusting. Their argument? By not allowing Christian and Catholic agencies to discriminate based on their beliefs you are infringing on their freedom of religion.

It has nothing to do with them caring about the wellbeing of kids who are at risk, it has everything to do with bigotry.

There obviously should be some restrictions on adopting (making sure kids are going to good homes that can care for them in the best way possible, etc.), but not this. Not ridiculous requirements that have absolutely no impact on how well a parent can raise a child.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think this will pass through the Senate, so I'm not too scared about it becoming actual law. I don't think it was even voted on by the House floor yet. Still, it's scary to think that if Republicans held more control, they'd pass it no doubt

I really can't wait for the midterms

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The headline is massively misleading.

Allowing some organisations to discriminate on the basis of religion without losing a certain type funding and taxation status does not constitute a ban on same-sex parent adoption. It is an awful policy, yes, but the statement made in both this thread title and the original article is manifestly untrue.

#23 Aussie792, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really not untrue though. They are legalizing a ban by allowing some organizations to discriminate on the basis of religion. With their approval, organizations are legally allowed to say, "We will not let you adopt a child because you're gay and we believe you're sinful." Not taking into account the capability of parenting, the wellbeing of the child, just the fact that two gay parents want to adopt.

With our current president, many religious people are taking advantage of situations like this. People are looking for legal ways to discriminate and are using religion as their guise to discriminate.

Yes, things could be clarified. But, that is along the lines of what they're allowing to happen.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm too horrified and upset to think straight what does this part mean? I'm too shocked they would let this pass. This is sickening. Like the OP i'm ashamed to be a US citizen. And this affects anything they could feasibly deny for 'religious reasons' right? So it does not just affect us.

"If it remains in the final bill, the amendment would cut 15% of federal adoption funding to states and localities that penalize adoption agencies that refuse to place children in families that conflict with the agency’s “sincerely held religious beliefs or convictions"

6. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They need to keep religion the hell away from politics. It messes up too many lives to be justified

7. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a catholic woman wants to give her child up for adoption to a Catholic adoption agency to find a catholic couple for her child, what is wrong with that?
    This law just allows them to do that.
    But you would want the law to say "we will not let you adapt a child because you are homophobic'

8. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because I see so much hypocrisy from some Catholics, specifically the girl I went to high school with that I mentioned. There are so many kids waiting to be adopted or are stuck in the foster care system. Catholics will point out that these agencies help kids, but they operate under discrimination.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe agencies, no matter how they're run, can help kids find good homes. But limiting the pool of parents that are available to the kids, harms the kids. The perfect parents for some of these kids could be LGBT, but that doesn't matter, does it?

What I have a problem with are agencies being able to say, "You would make a great parents but you're gay, trans, single, divorced, Jewish, Muslim, etc. And we simply don't support that." It sets a very alarming precedent for the future, because then hospitals, businesses, cops, universities, can use the same logic and discriminate under the basis of "Our religion does not support or believe in this."

I'm really not looking to bash religion, that gets no-one anywhere. But disguising hate by calling it religion is still hate.

Not to mention, there are many agencies already that allow parents to have a legal say in who adopts their children. And in those cases, the parents can choose and make those calls. But there are different cases. And frankly, once someone gives up their child, their say matters less. And what matters is finding that child a loving home that wants them there.

And what about kids that end up in Catholic agencies and are LGBT? Or don't want to be raised Catholic? Allowing agencies to discriminate further takes choices away from kids.

The kids and finding them their perfect home are the number one priority. Always. Religion, if any priority at all, would come second.

9. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so sad. :frowning2:

My parents support all of this crap too and it gets me so mad, but I can’t say anything. :angry:

10. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed.

11. smurf

Theoretically, no, but that is not how most states work when it comes to adoption. In some states the only adoption agencies are run by religious groups and they receive millions of public money.

By federal law, if you receive public money you are not allowed to discriminate against protected classes. So for example, if there is a religion that discriminates against black people then they would not be allowed to get state funding.

Now, there is no evidence that this policy is rooted in religion in the sense that they aren't screening people out who have divorces, who are single, who are actually of the same region etc.

That isn't the case here.

A catholic adoption agency that wants to do that is perfectly legal as long as they don't get state funding.

Most of these agencies cannot guarantee the mother that the parents will be of any religion. They can't even screen for it because its protected. A catholic mother who gives a child up for certain types of adoption cannot control whether its an atheist who will raise the kid or another catholic.

There are places that allow you to pick the parent and in those places is still perfectly legal for the parent to not want to choose a same-sex couple, but what is happening here is that the institution itself isn't allowing same-sex parents to apply. Its not the the parents don't want it, because many catholic mothers wouldn't give a damn who takes the baby as long as they are being taken care of.

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well said!

13. i7025

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    republicans are so dumb. Why would they make a law like this. It means that more people won't be able to have kids and there would be more kids waiting to be adopted. They would rather have a kid without a family then a kid with a lgbt couple.

14. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What the hell is happening to this country?

15. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

And yet the U.S. continues to oppose other theocratic nations with no sense of hypocrisy. Tomato Tomato.

#35 fadedstar, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
  16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is actually a non-issue. All sorts of extraneous amendments get attatched to bills by their respective committees. Most of them end up getting stripped before the bill is actually passed and becomes law. That is exactly what happened here. The appropriations bill was passed last month with this amendment stripped out of the bill.

17. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly it should be illegal for an adoption agency or home for unadopted minors to have any religious affiliations or partisanship. That is denying children's right to freedom of religion.

#37 Humbly Me, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, but that's this Great Country's standpoint on everything. GOD GOD GOD CHRIST GOD. Kavanaugh's lovely defense was riddled with GOD GOD GOD, so that must make him innocent, everyone voted for that scum.

19. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually so disgusted by the government right now. For one, there are tons of deserving kids out there who need homes. They need a loving family. But once again, the Trump administration is trying to hurt every person who isn't in a loving biological family with white rich Christian, Republican parents. And I'm honestly really hurt and worried because if this is what life is like in 2018 and we are backtracking, goodness knows what it's going to be like when I'm older and get married. I don't want to be unable to raise a child. What if by then, gay marriage is illegal??

20. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Republicans are disgusting hypocrites and it's a damn shame that they have any control in this country.