1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Over Social Media?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by illbehere, Oct 6, 2018.

1. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's everyone's opinions on coming out to a large group of people on a platform such as instagram? I want to be fully out at school and I don't know how do carry through with that. I also want to come out to not-immediate family and I don't know how I should do so. I'm planning on coming out to my mom soon and probably my dad because I want to do so before I come out to everyone else. I wrote a coming out song parody for the fun of it but I feel like if I post that people are just going to make fun of it. But I was thinking of sending that to the rest of my family. There are also people on my social media who I feel don't need to be notified that Im not straight. I mean i don't care if they know but... Sorry for rambling. Help is much appreciated.

Love4Ever likes this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's a good idea. In fact, if you wanted, you could do a special post on October 11 for national coming out day. I wish we could give out instagram handles on here. I'd let you have mine.

3. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think i might do that. The thing is that if I do that, I'm scared that ill pick a label and end up not liking it. then ill have to come out again. the song is a dumb idea right?

#3 illbehere, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should do what you want to do. And you can change labels or choose to have none if you don't want to. There is no rule that says you have to remain static. If you want to change it later than do so, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. You can just come out as fluid or not straight if you want. Or pan or bi. Whatever you like.

illbehere likes this.
  5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And you don't have to come out again every time you want to change unless you want to. You don't owe anyone an explanation for your attractions.

#5 Love4Ever, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    illbehere likes this.
  6. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It has its good and bad points. If you don't care that its a broadcast message then it'll be fine. And you can control the message. I'm also pretty sure that once you tell someone then by the end of the week most of your school will know.
    You might consider asking your parents, assuming they support you, how to come out to other family.

illbehere likes this.
  7. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been dropping subtle hints about my sexuality on my Instagram story for a year now. I've been doing this so that some people could guess it. But I don't ever post anything that's too obvious and would tell directly like, I'd do rainbow themed storied and all the texts would be multicolor and would write some very gay text. All this has helped a friend of mine to come out to me(well, I didn't come out to her). And I came out to a friend yesterday and she said that she'd kinda guessed it. And I hide my stories from those people who I don't want to know about me.

illbehere likes this.
  8. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    that’s acrt Really smart!!

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out on Facebook. Just somewhat casually, a couple of sentences. Didn't get any bad replies. If I could do it again, I'd do it sooner lmao

@Love4Ever, nice idea, but can only PM offline contact info (hence be a full member) :frowning2:

10. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just don't know. I talked to my mom about and she don't think it is a good idea or I need to do it. However, I do want to do it. Heres the thing though, my relatives will end up finding out that way. Also, people who I don't think need to know will find out. Oh well.

11. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're worried about your relatives finding out, you can be selective in what social media. For example, on National Coming Out Day I put on my Snap Story a picture of my #thxsimon shirt with the day's filter and #thxsimon in rainbow lettering and a slogan my university has used in the past about being yourself in rainbow lettering. None of my relatives follow me on Snapchat so I knew the only people that would see it would be friends. All in all about 30 people ended up seeing it and around half already knew? I wanted to do Instagram, but I knew that some relatives would be more likely to see that.

12. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never announced my sexuality over social media. I came out to my parents and all the important people in my life first and didn't think about anyone else. As I started attending gay pride events or creating gay themed artwork I would share that on my social media and let people figure it out themselves. I never felt any need to make a big announcement about it to people I have hardly any contact with. Tell your immediate family first and see how you feel about it and give yourselves time to adjust to the news. You'll have a better idea of how you want everyone else to find out afterwards.

13. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not worried about them finding out because I know they will be accepting. My mom wants me to come out to them separately which I don't want to do or believe is necessary. I kind of want to do a post but I'm scared my mom will be mad if I do.

14. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have come out to all my close friends and I have come out to everyone in my immediate family except my little brother who is 7. I agree with not wanting to announce it to people I hardly have contact with but there are other people who I want to know but I don't feel the need to personally come out to them. This would do the job.