1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Rant] I just wanna wear a dress to Homecoming

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Melodic, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Melodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, next week my school is holding the homecoming dance. I'm not out at school and I'm not out to my parents, just a group of my close friends and most people online. Today it just kind of hit me that I won't be able to wear a dress to the dance and I've been either crying or suppressing tears all day. I jut don't find it all that fair that I'm not allowed to wear what I would like just because my school is relatively anti-LGBT and my parents are the hardcore religious type.

I get that putting this here is kinda dumb, but I just needed to say or type this somewhere and decided it would be here. <3

2. Majorelle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should be allowed to wear whatever the heck you want!! I totally despise the restrictive dress code at my school, and limiting people to certain kinds of clothing based on gender is absolute crap. One day you'll be confident and free and unafraid to wear a beautiful dress to a beautiful dance with a beautiful person, and just know that there are thousands of people out here on EC that support you like I do! The people who care for you should be ready to accept you for who you are, and if they don't (like my very own parents), then you can look back at them with a proud smile on your face after you've found love and happiness with a special person who is totally ready to take you to Homecoming! I hope you feel better~

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I so agree with this. Clothes don't have a gender. Everyone should be able to wear what they want.

4. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can agree with that, yet, aside from women’s panties now and then, I have no desire to wear women’s clothes

5. tystnad

tystnad Guest

Hey Melodic,

It sucks that you can't wear what you want to wear - the world is really unfair in how it decides what is and what is not okay for someone based on the gender they were assigned at birth, and the idea that men shouldn't wear dresses is so arbitrary... But remember: not wearing a dress doesn't mean you're not female. Plenty of women rock suits (not just masculine women, either!) - it actually is one of my personal favourite looks on a woman. Now you'll be one of them! :heart_eyes:

Would it be helpful to make your outfit a tiny bit more feminine? Your dance is already very soon so I suppose it is too late to buy an outfit so I'll save you tips on that, but maybe to feel better (and a little more feminine), what you could do is get some accessories going - visibility depending on how comfortable you're with that. when wearing a suit, the colour, style and knot can drastically change how masculine or feminine it looks and if you're brave, you could even exchange it for a ribbon. Bracelets and necklaces can make a world of difference in how you feel, and you can hide them underneath your clothes is you worry about people noticing it. Details in the rest of your outfits can make a difference too - if you wear shoes that 'click' when you walk (so with a hard sole) it will sound like you're wearing heels; women's socks tend to be a different fabric and feel more feminine in how vulnerable they are; add some colour anywhere, whether socks or belt or jewelry; close only one button of your jacket so it creates a slightly more feminine shape by tightening only the waist area; wear a women's blouse under your jacket instead of a men's - it won't look so different if you have your jacket closed so you can easily hide it, but the fit and fabric will feel very different. Those are just some tips to consider (some of them more easy to do that others) to still showcase a tiny bit of woman without outing yourself!

6. Toni1470

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree 100%. My school has a ‘no cross dressing’ rule and if you break it you get detention the first time, suspended the second and expelled the third. It really sucks. Clothes shouldn’t have a gender.

7. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I almost started to cry whistle I was reading this. I feel your pain 100% it is so unfair that we still live in a world filled with hate and intolerance all I want is the same as you, to feel pretty and be the person we truly are, yet it is more acceptable to let someone suffer then to accept who they are. I hope things get better for you.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow this is horrible. They shouldn't be allowed to chose what clothes someone can wear.