1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss and dieting.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alice89, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone had any great diets or tips on weight loss.

I’m after a more feminine figure but really finding it hard to lose the weight around my belly.

2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recommend keeping track of calories (you can use various apps to do this), and experiment with different lifestyle changes to find out which are easiest for you in your situation. If you can find a low-effort way to lazily obtain a calorie deficit, go for it (assuming you need to lose weight and it's not an unhealthy way to do it).

If you don't mind me tooting my own horn a bit, I lost over 100 pounds in 2018 (thread about that here). I spend a lot of time in front of my computer for both work and leisure. So I got an electronic sit/stand desk, and got a 'deskercise' bike to put under it. That way, I could lazily exercise without changing my lifestyle very much. I went through several due to heavy use, but have been using this one for about a year.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its simple math you have to burn more calories than you eat. So just keeping track of what you are eating and how much activity you do is the easy way.

4. notaprincess06

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always struggled and still struggle with my weight as I gain weight pretty easy(I do like to eat and am not into vegetables much but even so, considering I don't eat dinner, very rarely eat any sort of stuff like crisps, never eat McDonalds and don't drink soda...). For me, the only truly effective way long term was to go for longer term weight loss goals that would be truly sustainable and not drastic. With this I lost almost 30kgs in a bit less than 2 years and even when my weight does fluctuate on account of not exercising and eating more(like for ex I spend about 1 year and a half from 2016 til this summer not doing much because of some bad ankle sprains), I never gained weight as fast as I did after strict diets and it's been easier to go back to eating better.

So what I did and do is just try to spend 5 or 6 days a week eating a bit less than I normally would like to and not mixing meat with rice or potatoes, not eating fries and I only eat potatoes or rice once a week(or twice for potatoes but without meat and not huge portions). Once a week I eat anything I want in whatever combo(which for me is usually shawarma with fries or some other thing like that). Also, I try to have 2 days a week of not eating meat, with a lunch consisting of eggs or stir fry rice or pasta but without meat. If possible, I'll have a day of eating between 800-1000 calories, not more. Oh and it's important to limit sugar and bread, especially sweets you buy in the supermarket and white bread. I do eat 2 slices of bread every day at breakfast, they amount to about 80g of bread and it is a type of bio, part whole wheat with a bit of rye, all natural. Oh and ofc no alcohol. I'm not a drinker but I love beer so I would have beer every day but I only drink one beer per week and no hard liquor.

The general idea is that if you keep a really strict diet and eliminate certain foods completely, you have to consider how that will affect you in the long run and if you can stick to it because when you eliminate foods from your diet for some time and introduce them back at some point, they will likely be more fattening. Not everyone can stay on strict diets non stop and calorie count for years on end so one should always try to be a bit realistic(unless you're like 200kg's and need to lose weight fast for health reasons of course). But it is possible to eat smarter, eat smaller portions, make sure you combine foods in a way that helps you lose weight and stick to that fairly permanently.

Exercise is important too but without doing something about your food intake you're not going to get that far. Also, even just walking at a decent pace for an hour a day is good, going for a bike ride, maybe an hour of swimming a few day a week, a bit of running(that's what I do, I run about 25min every 2 days and also I walk everyday cause I just like walking or take my bike)

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I refuse to count calories. What worked for me was The 17 Day Diet. I lost 25 lbs on it a couple years ago. Basically you can eat whatever you want from restricted food lists. It works really well for the way I think

6. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh wow I might have to look into that.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did something similar. I stopped drinking coffee, soda, and alcohol for 30 days and I lost 5 pounds within the first week and my skin really cleared up as well.

8. Loves books

If you are old enough to drink, then stop. Alcohol is full of empty calories.

9. mariecanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    drink 3 cups of green tea a day !! it really works to reduce stomach fat and it is so good for you.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I gained weight years ago, I stopped eating sweets and junk food and everything came back to normal. Look out for what has the most calories in what you eat and replace it with a healthier substitute: e.g. replace biscuits and crisps with dried fruit, nuts, vegetable snacks, replace sweet drinks with tea (no sugar). Win-win :slight_smile: You not only stop gaining weight but also eat more nutritious.

11. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s good advice I’ll try that thanks.

12. Forlong

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Keto diet work for me, I lost 20 pounds in the first 2 months. No sugar, bread, or alcohol and you eat lots of meats and vegetables. I didn’t exercise at all during that time.

13. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I lost a good amount of weight a few years ago by trimming my diet. I reduced (but not eliminated) sugar, salt, and fat from my diet and was very active. Physical activity is very important with weight loss, it's not just what you eat.

14. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I don't drink though hardly ever so this is not difficult for me to avoid. If someone told me tomorrow to never drink again it wouldn't be a hardship for me since I basically don't already. I have many things I take more pleasure in than alcohol, which I can't even drink unless it is mixed with something really sweet.

15. Loves books

I don't drink at all. I bought a small bottle of vodka and another of rum last Christmas but didn't touch them. I came home from college one weekend in March to find out my parents had drunk them both during a snowstorm. I started worrying about them if they were desperate enough to drink alcohol they don't like when they were only stuck up a mountain a week. I just don't like the taste of alcohol. I want to lose weight but have nothing I'm willing to give up.

16. Forlong

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

#16 Forlong, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  17. Alice89

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sugar is my biggest downfall and I think I really do need to cut it out or at least stop “adding” sugar to things like coffee and tea.