1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know if I'm gay but I don't want to be

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by illbehere, Sep 8, 2018.

1. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first began questioning my sexuality a little over a year ago. In the time from then till now, I've gone from curious, to bi-curious, to bisexual, to pansexual. Now I'm starting to question if I am gay. I'm pretty sure I'm not because I think I still like boys. Lately I have been more into girls though and I am terrified of realizing that I am actually gay. As soon as I started to even question if I am gay, I immediately shut the idea down and began thinking that life would be so much better if I was straight. I even tried looking up DIY gay conversion therapy. Something about the idea of being gay scares me so much. I guess it makes me feel like I've lost all hope of being straight. I may just be overthinking everything but it is really freakin me out. Help is very much appreciated.

2. YeetWheat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gay conversion therapy according to facts never works don’t do gay conversion therapy I hear a lot of bad stories of gay people who went to it and never turned out straight.I wish I could shut down the idea of me questioning my sexuality but the thoughts always come back every 5 min.no matter how much I wish I could take my own advice you don’t need to know your sexual orientation right now maybe you’ll find it out in the future

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hey I can totally understand where you are coming from. I think there are very few people out there who want to be gay but if you are there really isn't anything you can do to change it. Accepting that can be tough but I promise you that if it turns out that you are the happiness of true love and finding someone that makes you happy is well worth the pain and upset of accepting that you won't be straight and be with a guy. Can I ask how old you are? You don't have to tell me exactly but just an age bracket will do.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anyone, when they first come to terms with not being straight, is excited or happy about that awareness. As we process any loss (in this case, loss of being straight), we go through phases: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. The phases aren't necessarily sequential, and can take anywhere from minutes to months (sometimes longer) to go through. So what you're feeling is entirely normal.

It is also quite common to progress through the questioning-curious-bisexual-gay phase; that goes along with bargaining. And an awful lot of people get stuck in the bargaining phase, where they describe themselves as bisexual when they really aren't. This basically equates to "OK, I admit I like the same sex, but I can still end up with the opposite sex." Essentially, it's where denial gets in the way; we don't want to close the door or let go of our prior self-perceptions. This isn't to say there aren't people who are genuinely bisexual, but many, many people who initially identify as bi eventually, as they get past the bargaining stage, realize that they really don't have much (if any) attraction to the opposite sex, and end up eventually accepting themselves as gay.

But what's really important here is that you give yourself time. This isn't something you need to figure out right now, next week, or even next year. Take your time, explore your feelings, and figure out for yourself where you lie on the spectrum, because at the end of the day, you're the only one who can really know what you're feeling.

5. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have research data on this Chip because I think I read it was about 50/50 as in 50 percent is gay in the end and 50 percent bisexual. I can be wrong. If you don't have research data on this I will try to look up the data myself. Because 50 percent is not that many in my opinion. That's a lot of people being bisexual in the end.

6. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, thanks for replying. I know its a horrible thing to say that I want to try and do DIY conversion therapy and I know that it doesn’t work but at least it is worth a shot. And I want to try and not care about labeling myself but I like having my life laid out in front of me and I hate all this uncertainty.

7. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for replying. I just started highschool. I don’t even know if I’m gay. I think I still like guys but I’m not sure. I might just be trying to avoid the inevitable. I just hate not having control over this.

8. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, thanks for replying. The fact that many people who identify as bisexual or pansexual often end up as gay scares me. I really don’t want to be gay.
    The stages you are talking about though completely make sense. My problem is I have trouble waiting to know. I need everything laid out in front of me so I can plan my life. I just wish someone could tell me what I am and that’s what I’ll be.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand that, sorry I wasn't saying that you were definitely gay just that if it turns out you are then it will be ok. My advice would be to try not to worry about it (easier said than done of course) just try and live life and have fun and if you fall for a girl great and if you fall for a guy that's great also.

10. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don’t worry you didn’t imply that I’m gay. Thanks so much for the advice. I’ll try!

11. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You've had wise advice already but I just wanted to say that I'm with you on this. It's overwhelming having this thing that you never had to think about before but suddenly is a big deal and you realise you have no control over. I think sometimes we just have to trust, explore our feelings and see where they take us.

Love4Ever likes this.
  12. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey friend! I read the title of your post and it hit home for me because that exact thought used to run through my head all the time when I was your age (you mentioned just starting high school).

Have you been raised religious by any chance? I was, and your feelings or being scared of being gay and wanting to look up ways to change remind me of how me and some of my other queer friends felt when we were trying to figure our sexuality out.

Please don't look up conversion therapy. It doesn't work and you're not going to change. It might take a little while yet for you to completely understand yourself, but don't be afraid of your feelings. I can't promise that everyone will accept and support you but there will certainly be people who will! There's nothing wrong with being gay or pan or bi or anything else. You are who you are and I wish you good luck with accepting yourself on your journey! It took me a long time too but it does get better! I'm rooting for you :slight_smile:

Love4Ever likes this.
  13. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for replying. I definitely agree that it’s overwhelming. I’m trying my best to trust my heart.

14. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for replying! It’s good to know someone’s on your side. I’ve been raised Jewish but I live in pretty accepting town (thankfully). I have various LGBTQ family members and there are a few LGBTQ people at my temple as well.

Overall, I’m just scared that people are going to see me differently if I come out. I also want to be at least somewhat “normal”/straight and being gay takes all that away from me. I’m just playing it by ear and seeing where life goes.

15. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really glad you have LGBT family and in your religious community. That helps so much, especially if you have some adult LGBT role models that can help you navigate this. I never had anyone like that and I think it would have been incredibly helpful and reassuring.

Just remember, I know you might feel like society is telling you that it's not "normal" to be gay, but it is YOUR normal. All sexualities are equally valid :slight_smile:

illbehere likes this.
  16. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are going to see you differently. That's not inherently bad. If you can reconcile yourself to stop worrying about how others perceive you, then the problem goes away. The only real issue is your worry about what other people think. And they are going to think whatever they want to think - you can neither do anything about it or even know about it. So, this really is all in your head anyway.

You should also begin changing your own mindset about your sexuality. Internalized homophobia causes you to think that straight = normal, and therefore gay is abnormal. What gets taken away by being gay? A marriage? Nope. A wedding? Nope. Having kids? Nope. Having a good job? Nope. Having great friends and family? Nope.

Once you fully accept yourself, you will no longer care what other people think of you.

17. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is I don't want to be seen differently. If I come out I want to remain the same person to them. Something I hate about myself is that I care to much about whatever people think. Do you actually think I have internalized homophobia? If I do I have no clue why haha.Thanks for the help.

#17 illbehere, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  18. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Hello there.

I feel you. I've been actually doing a DIY conversion therapy for years. I've been repressing, denying, shaming myself for same-sex feelings, trying to become more involved with the opposite sex, dating men and having a relationship. None of it worked. All it did was to create more anxiety and shame.

Similar effects can be produced by conversion therapy by 'professionals'. They call the not-gay action and the forced straight act a success, but how is unhappiness a success is beyond me. However, because these people have more access to one's psyche they can inflict much more pain and shame and that can lead to self-harm and even suicide attempts.

I'm struggling to accept myself sometimes as well. It's not something I am bargaining in any seriousness, but it's hard to be happy about when you're surrounded by negative messages about it every day. But hey, we're not alone. And like every struggle, it will eventually pass.

YeetWheat likes this.
  19. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've attempted DIY conversion therapy and I can tell you it didn't change me and just made me feel worse.

20. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone is different though and it's still worth a shot right?