1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biting my tongue

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Biguy45, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I often find myself refusing to comment on certain threads because I know my opinions will not be popular. It is very unlike me, as I’m used to the fighting on Twitter, but I’m trying to show respect I guess. However, it is extremely hard to not respond sometimes, as I have profound disagreements with some of the posts. I won’t say about what because I’m not here to start an argument. I’m just curious if this happens to others

2. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I disagree with things but im not one to start arguments, I live by a peace code, but some things I have a strong opinon towards but I think about the outcomes of what happens after.

3. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Which is why I bite my tongue. I know certain that things I could say will anger people. Actually trying to avoid that.

4. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think people shouldn’t get offended so easily esspecially over an opinion someone has, but that’s how people today work I guess, no one can be an adult lol

5. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactl
    exactly. People tend not to respond well to differing opinions these days. Which leaves me nervous about sticking my neck out so to speak. I don’t get offended personally, but I’m probably unusual

6. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I've been pulling my punches too. But it's mostly because I'm new not just to this forum, but to the community in general. So I don't necessarily always know the most. For me it's about being diplomatic vs being ignorant.
    But you shouldn't hold back if you're sure about what you're saying, as long as you're not personally attacking someone but rather their opinion. The entire point of this forum is to promote free discourse so we can learn from each other. At least I think so, because I've learning a lot since I joined. Now some of the most heated threads I've seen were about feminism and misogyny and those get pretty brutal. But there's no reason why you can't laugh it off and share what you feel because the rest of us do care about you're views.

7. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually say somethings that I feel that are unpopular opinions now that i think about it, but I dont like getting into political territory (because its the hot anger causing topic of these times I just really hate politics all together) and I never get offended but I get erritated if I say an opinion and someone doesnt even put what im saying from how or where I got it from and just being like “it isnt mine so it is wrong”

8. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The problem with that is many people mistake disagreements with personal attacks. There are certain subjects that I just don’t believe disagreements would be taken well. I’m a little older, I’m used to arguing. Maybe it’s just a generational thing. Also, if I don’t know anything about a subject I’ll leave it alone

9. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well that's their problem. We don't struggle with our sexualities and gender identities only to walk on eggshells around people with anger issues. You don't need to compromise if they're being irrational. I don't think it's really a generational thing. You're a lot older than I and halfway across the World, but it's strange how I can empathise with you and other EC members here, despite growing up in a completely different socio-cultural context. So really just feel free to say whatever you feel like. Others will call out unreasonable people for you.

#9 CuriousLad, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. Some arguments are just not worth it. People in the net are just unashamed to totally BS. It's not a problem IRL where they are being held accountable for what they say.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm curious, because I'm irritated by some obvious BS as well, but can point to any atm xP

11. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes the safety of anonymity. Strangely, I would feel better arguing face to face than I would online. Though I don’t charge around picking fights with people

12. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should post your opinion regardless of what people will think of it. People posting on here are wanting opinions and shouldn't expect to only receive posts agreeing with them or telling them what they want to hear.

I always post my opinion, and actually I am much more likely to post and give my opinion on a post that irritate me than not (if you haven't noticed yet! :wink: ) .
    As long as you share your opinion in a constructive way and accept that others may not agree, I think it's fine.

I think I know what thread you are currently refering to but regardless, if you feel you have something to bring to the table and the topic concerned, share it with people. Some people may get to see things from your side and who knows, maybe learn a thing or two.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's often not what you say, but how you say it that counts.

Disagreement is a fact of life and it's a fact we need to learn well, as soon as possible. People will not always be on the same page as you! We need to understand that disagreement isn't a personal attack upon us, unless the other person makes it so. Members have disagreed with me before in a perfectly reasonable way and that's absolutely fine -- sometimes they have disagreed so well that they have changed my mind. I understand that people might have a different perspective to me that is no less valid and I don't feel the need to dig in for a battle every time someone disagrees and consider them a foe.

I'm very likely to disagree with someone if they make a grossly inaccurate or misleading comment or statement, or distort something I previously said, because that goes beyond a matter of perspective. Even then, I try to addresses the specific issue and not offend the individual who I'm in disagreement with. That's really the most important thing.

14. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I type out so many posts on this forum that I never actually post.

I’ve been using forums since I’ve been on the internet and back when I was younger I loved getting under people’s skin online. Haven’t really done that in about 8 years.

When I see posts I don’t agree with (which is a regular occurrence) I just Keep reading and move on, unless its an issue of safety then its usually not worth correcting anyone since they most likely aren’t interested in my opinion anyway.

15. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not worried about people disagreeing with me. I certainly don’t have all the answers and I can take arguments. I just don’t want to cause stress to others. I guess I would put it in the category of never arguing politics or religion. Though I often do argue politics but not here

16. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fully agree with @PatrickUK , I think because this is support forum people assume that they have to show support and that providing support means agreeing with them. It's not.

You can provide emotional support to people and still disagree with them. I am very supportive of my friends but they do a lot of things I don't agree with and I can still be a supportive friend AND not agree with everything they do and say and tell them so.

Sometimes supporting someone is telling them they are mistaken and/or going down the wrong path and providing alternatives.

17. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On Twitter on the other hand, I delight in pissing people off

18. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not sure anyone could tell which thread I’m talking about. It’s not as if it makes me angry. I just don’t agree

19. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took leave from these forums for a while because I found myself getting frustrated at certain posts, and that's not what I come here for. Disagreements are fine, but if a discussion gets heated then I have to take a step back. I can't help it if someone takes my comment the wrong way, and sometimes I might take a comment the wrong way, but I put up with enough overreactions in my job when I get customers who are easily offended because they think I'm trying to rip them off when all I'm doing is my job. I don't need that kind of drama on social media so I find it best to avoid it.