1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Binders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerAsh, Jul 13, 2018.

1. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do these actually work? My chest is fairly large. Support for my boobs lacking with the diy binders? I've worn sports bras before. Is it basically the same thing? Will it even work that well for someone of my size? How do I even make sure the length is long enough to go around my chest? What are some signs that the diy binder is too tight? Should I even try this?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With any kind of binder, it is important to be safe and listen to your body. If there is bruising, chafing, or you cannot breathe properly, that's a sign your binder is too tight. Never bind with ace bandages as that can damage your ribs.

Sports bras can bind fairly well. You can layer them for a better effect. When I could not afford a binder, I used a neoprene back wrap to bind and it worked fairly well. Though it wasn't very breathable and so sweat made it hella uncomfortable. I've heard of some people using camisoles for a binder as well (tutorial here). it's also possible to bind with KT tape, thought I've only used tape once for open shirt binding because I was doing a cosplay. I wouldn't recommend daily use because it takes a while to get tape situated just right, and it can come off too easily, plus it isn't very reusable.

One of the best decisions I ever made was just putting down the money for a real binder. I use the GC2B brand, and it's by far the most effective, comfortable, and long lasting of any binding method I've attempted. It's only around $35.

3. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm not out to any family they're kind anti-lgbt+ so I can't buy a binder until I'm like 19. So, diy things and so on things that I don't have to buy anything for is best. Also, I can't use sports bras they never have my size!! It's disappointing, but they don't. Even, if I got a smaller one to make tighter binding, or whatever it would be dangerously smaller than I needed. And thanks for the link!!

4. ungaynly

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if you're out to any of your friends you could try asking them if it could be sent to their house.
    or if you don't want the purchase to be visible on your parents' card, you could ask your friend to order it on their card and you'll pay them back when you can.

and from what i know diy binders can work pretty well. i do use a diy binder. i've used it for maybe a year? i never take it off. i sleep in it. breathing can be difficult. my breathing already sucks. i used to slip it off before i took a shower and i can't do that anymore because i've grown into it. my chest has a scar from it.
    what i'm trying to say is, please don't use a diy binder. and unless it's aboslutly necessary, please don't wear it for too long.
    please bind safely, bubbleh.

5. RK800

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to use a doubled up, tight camisole to bind and let me tell you something: not. worth. the. risk.
    Do they work? Yes. Do I have negative issues caused by wearing it? Also yes.

6. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Negative issues?

7. RK800

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have fluid retention in my chest from it, which causes a pretty persistent cough and discomfort.

8. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I won't wear it forever and I'm only wearing it for the few times I leave my house and also school. It seems to work okay, but if I notice any extreme marks, or bruises, or pain, anything like that. I'll be sure to switch to my regular birth given attire. And I've considered the idea of sending it to a friend. Most my friends use minutes and so on, so I can't ask them until school starts. If, that doesn't work I'll be stuck with a diy binder, or what I'm naturally given while in the closet. And I don't use tape, or the camisole thing, it doesn't work well for me considering my size. But, I used another method. It seems to be working well and is supportive while still flattening my chest good. I'm going to try wearing it when I'm out and about for an hour, or two today. I'll see how it goes from there. Attached is the method I'm trying.

9. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seemed to not want to upload sorry. Here's my retry.

Attached Files: