1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever travel to South America

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anyone travel to any South American country(Brazil, Argentina....)? Did you like it? Was said country LGBT friendly, if so, did you present yourself as openly LGBT? Was the country affordable to spend? I mean was it cheap to rent a hotel room, rental car, eat meals, drinks, movie tickets, soccer games, etc?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in Brazil, so... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's not an LGBT friendly country per se, and it is actually quite violent. However, that depends on where you are - if you are in a gay bar in São Paulo at night, or if you are walking somewhere crowded during the day in a big city, it is very unlikely that you will have problems if you kiss your SO or hold hands (but it is also very likely that some people will stare at you). However, in some smaller cities, or during the night/at some locations, you will have to be careful.

As for being affordable, it depends. Brazil is a huge country, so price will vary depending on where you want to go, what do you want to eat, if you want to stay in a cheap hotel or in a expensive one...

3. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been to Colombia (a very nice country). It's moderately pro-LGBT, although I believe that the family I stayed with was homophobic. They asked me girlfriend questions a few times, but I never came out to them or anybody else.
    I can't say how affordable the country was since they paid for most of what I got.

4. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I thought Rio has a large LGBT population and has LGBT pride events every now and then

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to go to Argentina.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That true, but Rio is also one of the most violent cities in Brazil (not only for LGBT people - violence in general).

But, again, it depends on where you are staying, where are you going, if you pay attention around you while you are on the street or if you are easily distracted, etc.

Rio is huge, so I would read and search a bit for safer places to stay. It's not like a war zone, people tend to exaggerate a lot: Many people go there and love the city. However, it's important to be careful.

7. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Was it "okay" when the Rio Olympics occured? I mean when I mean as the crime low during that time given the level of state and federal police in the city?

8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a simple way: For tourists and rich/ high-medium class people who were enjoying the games, yes, crime was lower. For black, poor people, there are reports of even more violence during this period, which includes police abuse.

So, if you are coming to visit us, you will probably enjoy Rio (if you are white). If you are a brazilian, especially black, Rio can be one of the most dangerous places here, and the police is frequently a problem, not a solution. The recent military intervention on the city just made things worse (to speak of an example, there's the murder of Marielle Franco). There are good cops and soldiers, of course, but, unfortunately, the police and the army are frequently problematic.

Sounds harsh, right? But, unfortunately, things aren't looking pretty for Brazil, and Rio, once the city-jewel of our country, isn't really pretty outside the beautiful videos that you can search on the internet about it. If you stay in the rich zone, it can indeed be a paradise. Outside of those zones, Rio isn't a great city, so to speak.

Note that i'm not saying you shouldn't visit Brazil, or that you wouldn't like it here. Our country has many great places, a rich culture, and it makes me happy to hear people from the outside wanting to visit us. And, no, it isn't a warzone, fortunately - it is a violent country, but (still) not a dystopia. Especially for tourists, it should be ok, provided you know where to go and you know how to take the appropriate security measures to keep yourself safe. However, i also think it is important to show the dark side of our country - we aren't the paradise of "beautiful people, perfect beaches and great food" without huge downsides.

I'm sorry if I digressed: You asked about the tourist side of things, and this side is probably fine. The security changes on Rio during the games were made to protect tourists mainly, and to show to the world how nice is Brazil and the Rio.

However, I think It is important not to forget the side of the people under the rug - we need to talk about that too. And the people payed a huge price for those games.

9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Chiroptera

I have read books on Brazil and its unique definition of race and the concept of "racial democracy" and whiteness. I don't know if you heard of Thomas Skidmore or Jerry Davilla.

I currently have Diploma of Whiteness in my reading list at the moment about whiteness in Rio's public school between the world wars

amazon.com/Diploma-Whiteness-Social-Policy-1917-1945/dp/082233058X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531343680&sr=1-9&keywords=whiteness+latin+america

10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, i haven't heard about these authors or concepts. If you want, feel free to drop me a message explaining them, i'm interested in learning more!

Thing is, unfortunately, we are still a very conservative country. Even if that isn't written in our laws, there is still lots of prejudice in the minds of people. Marielle, as the example i mentioned, was a black bisexual woman, and she fought for the rights of marginalized groups, and she was killed because of this.