1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding without straps?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went out and bought some new men's clothes recently, that was really good. And I tried them on at home because I didn't want to use the men's or women's change rooms but the problem was, I wasn't binding when I tried them on. I decided it was all good though, like they were a nice fit. I'm really frustrated now though because I was binding, I put one of the shirts on again and you can see the straps from my sports bras. Not always but sometimes...and I don't want to have to keep re-adjusting my shirt or worrying that you can see straps. I feel like to just defeats the purpose of binding because if you can see straps, you'd just assume that l'm female?

I really like my shirts though, it's the first time I've really bought men's shirts that fit. I would never do that in the past because I was too afraid that it'd show curves or something. And I want to wear them so... I guess I have to change my binding habits? Like is there any effective way to bind without showing straps? I know this isn't safe but just for example, if I used ace bandages, that wouldn't show any shoulder straps because that's just around the chest. But yeah, obviously I can't do that. Is there any way to effectively and safely to bind without straps? "Effective" meaning it will actually flatten my chest lol. Thanks in advance :grin:

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spot likes this.
  3. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's this thing called transtape (creator's tutorial video) that's supposed to work decently. I haven't tried it yet (but I have ordered some and can get back to you on how well it works for me, though, full disclosure, I am an A/B cup with all of my pudge) but a few people on YouTube have. Like all binding methods, transtape will work better for smaller chested people.

Spot and SHACH like this.
  4. tystnad

tystnad Guest

in addition to what’s listed above, you could also try to cover up your straps instead of getting rid of them, for example by wearing a men’s undershirt or tank top with wider straps over them/under your shirt. these look less feminine than most bra straps. alternatively, depending on the type of shirt, you could use safety pins to attach the edge of your collar to the edge of your strap so that the shirt always covers the strap regardless of what movements you make. that only works if you have shirts with a relatively narrow collar though, but it is a very affordable and quick fix :slight_smile:

Spot likes this.
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I wouldn't assume you were binding, I would assume you are wearing an undershirt.

Spot likes this.
  6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

7. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As promised I am back to review the Transtape product. So, this stuff DOES NOT bind as flat as a binder does. To be fair, I should have realized this because it is essentially taping the breast tissue and/or fat into your armpits. I know that's a terrible description, but there you have it. I've found that the tape is more comfortable than a binder, as it is cooler (temperature wise) and not at tight. Also, you can sleep, workout, shower, etc. in it. As an added bonus (and this is just a personal thing) seeing the bandage-looking stuff on my chest kinda makes me feel like I've had top surgery. So that's kinda nice.

TL;DR -- transtape is comfier (so long as you're not allergic to it) and can be worn much much longer than a binder can, BUT it does not bind as effectively as an official chest binder.

Spot likes this.
  8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for posting a review :grin: This stuff sounds awesome but I think I am a B cup, leaning more towards C so I’m not sure how well it’d work with me? I’m gonna go watch some more reviews and then make a decision lol. Thanks again.