1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News LGBT or Chic-fil-A?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aleko, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #1 Aleko, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the employees at the one near me is a chill friend who doesn't mind giving me free food whenever, his manager doesn't care, so I eat there but at the same time we're pretty much taking cash out of the company's pocket so am I really supporting them? Idk, but free Chic-Fil-A is the best either way.

3. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh man. Their food was sooo good, specifically the waffle fries. haha. I recall when their anti lgbt agenda came out years ago, I feel like it may have been around the time the whole marriage thing was going on for the U.S. Their food never tasted the same, eventually I found a new place to eat called Zaxby's and let me say the food is delicious, so thanks chick fil a for allowing me to broaden my horizons, and ultimately discovering a better chicken place. lol.

4. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm boycotting them - which is easy to do as the nearest one is an hour away from my house. I've never eaten there.

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes we have to make choices in life. I'm strongly of the opinion that we should boycott companies and organisations that oppose us and fund campaigns that make life difficult for us. It's a matter of personal integrity for me.

6. nicolettek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The chick-fil-a closest to me is always packed and I'm terribly impatient when it comes to food, so I couldn't eat there even if I wanted to lol.

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I eat there all the time. They are one of my favorite fast food places. Hypocritical? Maybe. But they have good food.

The opinions of the CEO (or was it the founder?) don't affect me. It's not like they are monitoring who steps into their restaraunts.

8. faustian1

Willam Belli liked Chick-fil-A too, and decided to take the high road, and make them a commercial (which they didn't ask for):

9. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not going to lie, I go to Chick-Fil-A like three times a week. I'm addicted to their breakfast food. And honestly, while the CEO may not be gay friendly, I know the staff at Chick-Fil-A is (there are several obviously gay employees). And the company has stopped supporting some of the anti-gay organizations they previously supported.

Besides, their chicken-mini's, spicy sandwhiches, milkshakes and warm chocolate chip cookies are just SO Good!!!

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t eat at fast food places.

11. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never eaten at Chic-fi-la and probably never will regardless of their stance on LGBT rights. It just doesn't look like a place that interests me.
    I enjoy the passion of that article. I wish people could feel this strongly about eating in a way that is environmentally sustainable, which is a thousand times more important.

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even if there was a Chic-Fil-A near me, I'd never eat their food. Fuck their homophobic CEO. I'm not giving that shithead one dime.

13. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I eat it. It’s good food. I never did until we got one on campus and I started going. It’s maybe once a week during the school year? If that.

Idk, personally, I’ve failed to see the point of some people boycotting. Like crazy people cancelling their Netflix subs because the Obamas are starting to produce content. Netflix doesn’t give a shit that you’re cancelling. If half their users did...then yeah, there’d be an issue. A few people boycotting a place they never eat because of the CEO’s beliefs does no good.

I’ve also had an issue because my past boss on campus boycotts it. None of us cared but he’d make a point of saying how he boycotts it and he would tell us that he didn’t think we should eat there and that we should urge the students we work with not to eat there either. (Me and my coworkers would all go and have lunch or dinner there.)

To each their own, I just don’t see the point of boycotting it.

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm typically terribly lazy and am too lazy to boycott companies. The huge exception is homophobic companies. In the past I've struggled a lot with my sexuality; I would never purposely give a dime to anybody that makes the life of an LGBT person harder. Very conveniently, there are no Chic-Fil-A near me (I don't think they are in Canada at all?) and there is a Value Village right across the street from the dirt stain that is Salvation Army :slight_smile:

#14 HM03, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

Remember that anti-LGBT organizations are responsible (even if indirectly) for the torture and assassination of many LGBTs. Eating their food isn't as simple as "oh, it's just a meal, it isn't that bad". If people choose to buy there, even after knowing about these things, they are knowingly contributing to that agenda full of prejudice and hate.

Please understand i'm not saying you are a bad person if you eat a meal on a company like this. Obviously it isn't simple as that, and, sure, no one is obligated to boycott anything. However, i do think this isn't something easy to just close our eyes to.

Personally, i don't want to contribute to a company that is, directly or indirectly, making life harder for (or assisting in ending the life of) many of us.

If only one person stops buying there, it wouldn't make too much of a difference. But if we, together, understand that this company is being a problem for our lives, we can pressure them and make a difference, instead of standing idly and just being absorbed into the idea that "it's just a harmless meal".

16. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except the thing is, we ARE being told that we’re bad people for wanting to eat somewhere that has good food. The article from the original post pretty much says that. Here’s the thing: Chick fil a has good food and nice workers. They’re headed by a terrible human being, but that’s it.

You say that you’re saying people aren’t bad because they choose to eat there but right before that you point out that by eating there here’s what you’re supporting by eating there. Hell, according to the article the only way to be a “good” queer is to boycott anything and everything that doesn’t explicitly support LGBT individuals.

I just hate the belief that we’re just supposed to boycott. Like I said in my post, my boss strongly urged us to boycott because he wanted to. It’s literally just a place on campus that has good food. There are some organizations that I detest for their actions and beliefs, and I won’t support them. However, at the end of the day...I like my chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and cookies and cream milkshake.

A restaurant chain is much more complex than the CEO. Not everyone involved in the company feels the way he does, he’s just the one calling the shots. It’s kind of like the US right now. Some people support actions but others detest them. Should all Americans be judged poorly based on bad actions from our president’s beliefs?

A guy I know from school works at one and he’s gay. Does that make him a terrible person for working there?

17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying i agree with the article on the original post, and i didn't say everyone that works/eat at that place is a bad person. It would be extremely stupid to generalize like that. What i'm saying is: If that company supports anti-LGBT organizations, people should think before trading with them, because you know where part of that money is going to. No, it doesn't mean you are guilty of anything (although i do think that the company is - i'm not talking about individuals), i just think you should think before supporting a company like that, even if you are doing it just because of the food.

Again, i didn't write that article, so it doesn't make sense to answer both me and the article in the same paragraph. Again, i'm not judging individuals: I can't say that you are a good or a bad person because you eat on that place or not. I'm saying that the company is bad if it is supporting those organizations (company as a group and organization =/= individuals who are clients of that company).

But, yes, if you are eating there, you are supporting that company, that is in turn supporting anti-LGBT organizations. It doesn't mean you are an evil person who is laughing like "hahaha, i'm eating this while they give my money to those evil organizations! HAHAHHA!". My line of thought is: You know where part of that money is going, so a meal that appears to be harmless is helping (indirectly) to fund that. If you are going to boycott it or if you are just going to ignore this, it is your choice. I do think a boycott is the sensible thing to do, but if you decide against it, who am i to stop you?

I understand your line of thought. In the end, it's a capitalism problem (in my point of view): The system oppresses us, and we need to fight against it. But it isn't easy to find against something while you are inside of it - we can't just abandon everything and go live in the mountains.

As much as it appears i'm being judgemental, i repeat: I'm not saying you are a bad person because you eat your chicken sandwich and cookies at the end of a long day. But, whether you end up eating or joining the boycott, i think it is important to understand it isn't a simple sandwich - it is the product of a long chain that is supporting a problem.

Company =/= individuals. That is completely true and it is indeed unfair and stupid to judge everyone working there because of the CEO. However, as you said yourself, he is the one calling the shots. If these "shots" includes supporting anti-LGBT organizations, that makes the company (as a group and organization) a problem. It doesn't mean that everyone working/buying there is ill intentioned (it's very likely that most are good people), but that doesn't change the fact that part of that money is going to a problematic cause.

No one is obligated to do anything because of this, but, personally, i wouldn't want to buy in a company like that, knowing my money would go up the chain and end up in the hands of someone who is working against me. It's a political decision.

18. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm vegan so now not only am I saving the chickens but I'm respecting gays, yay for double wins.

19. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know why, but I've never tried Chic-Fil-A, when it comes to fast food chicken, I prefer Raising Canes.

20. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don’t boycott anything. Either I like the goods and services or I don’t. If I boycotted over political reasons, I’d be forced to hide out in my house nearly everything these days is irritating. I just can’t be offended I guess