1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what is the difference between androgynous and butch?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Love4Ever, May 27, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So based off of a recent discussion, it got me thinking, how do people define the difference between someone who is androgynous vs someone who is butch? Obviously, there is some overlap but I was curious how people individually define the difference. Also, if possible use an example of someone to highlight what the differences are for you. For me, androgynous is an amalgamation of feminine and masculine styles. So like a woman who wears suits but also wears makeup, or a man who has short hair, but wears a skirt. Androgyny to me has feminine elements whereas butch does not. Butch uses a strictly "masculine" set of aesthetics. K. D. Lang to me is butch, Shane from the L word is androgynous. I also don't think it's so much about what clothes you wear but HOW you wear them.

2. amylase

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think i agree with your general definition, lol but i'm femme i don't really have experience actually portraying butchness or androgyny

^ this
    i think that's the key factor. androgyny seems like taking both masculine and feminine and openly portraying both, whether by clothes or physical features
    butch seems like masculinity through a woman's lens, or rather a different take on it because it's how someone who may physically appear feminine takes on masculinity.

Love4Ever and kkou like this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh! Ha ha.

How I used it was to mean that in personality, Shane is masculine. She has that sort of vibe, doesn't she? Regardless of what is goin on in particulars. I donmt know, maybe it's how I grew up. I never saw the "dry" emotionless masculine style as masculinity, raher as neutrality. My dad listens to hard rock and used to have a motorcycle, was an athlete, we wathed some shows with Bruce Lee or sci fi when eating pizza, lol, and granddad goes camping with friends all the time, that is what I picture as masculinity, regardless of whether someone decorates themself or not. It's chill, it's tough, it's strength, and it's freedom.

I used butch=masculine, androgynous=masc+fem

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. There are obviously no hard lines between what is "masculine" and "feminine" and everyone will have a different view on where one ends and the other begins, and this is because both of these things are social constructs. So it's definitely all very interpretative.

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it's more like, butch= higher percentage of things that are considered "masculine". Androgynous= more even balance, closer to 50/50 split between things considered masc and femme. But I do think emerry brings up a very good point in that it can be more about how a person conducts themselves and their interests than what they choose to wear. A girl could have a very masculine attitude but dress very "girly", or dress very masculine and be very "feminine." It kinda reminds me of that time where Carmen made Shane wear that white frilly dress. The dress was very stereotypically "girly" but Shane didn't look less "masculine" in it. I think that's a good example of how it wasn't really what she wears that makes her not overly "girly" it's how she acts and behaves.

#5 Love4Ever, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for one masculinity and femininity differs depending on e.g. culture, time, etc., and for two they are conglomerates of so many traits... it's sometimes difficult to compare apples against bananas, thus hard to tell who is more masc/fem.

Yup, I'd also say butch/masculine means "more masc than fem".

Shane is someone who dresses androgynous but behaves masculine in my opinion. Her style is classy. :slight_smile:

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I wish I could have style like hers. I wouldn't know where to begin though. If I could look like anyone it'd be her. I really want to dress more masculinely/neutrally.

#7 Love4Ever, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  8. Loves books

My opinions are pretty close to the others. Androgyny is a mixture of both genders where butch is just masculine. I would have called Shane butch though.