1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group Therapy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Bazinga87, May 23, 2018.

1. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i went to my first gay and married mens group tonight. I feel really good about it and feel a weight lifted. I was really nervous all day increasing to when I got there. I sat in the car outside thinking oh f***, can i do this?

Turns out I can and i didn't revert to my normal social self which is clamming up. I actually feel I shared what I was comfortable with, dont regret sharing it and will be going back.

Big step for me, maybe seems small to others, but I'm glad I put myself put there tonight. I have always read about not being alone but looking someone in the eyes and connecting with that feeling is so much different.

I have always tended to clam up when shit gets hard but I went in tonight thinking I can't let that happen. It worked.

Please anyone that feels like i do/did, go for what your inner monologue says, try it once. I'm not where I want to be just yet but i know im on my way

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on your big step.

I'm curious how you found the men's group. The cities nearest to me don't have any, according to Google.

Bazinga87 likes this.
  3. smurf

This is huge!! Congrats so glad to hear that you had a great experience! :slight_smile:

4. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, It's actually put on by a Therapist I have went to in the past. It has been going for years. Seems like something that would be more abundant cloaer to bigger cities. Im sorry you can't find one

5. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, I feel really good about it

smurf likes this.
  6. smurf

Find an LGBT center close to you and start calling. Many therapists run their own circles, but since they are therapists by profession many of them suck at putting stuff easily accessible online. Most therapists are good at word of mouth and getting the main insinuations their flyers so as painful as it is I would start calling LGBT Centers and then LGBT therapists that you find in your area.

DecentOne likes this.
  7. slowmo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations! This is indeed a big step ... because it's a big step for YOU. I too stared doing this a couple of months ago. I can definitely identify with that feeling of anxious anticipation a couple days before, which then turned into extreme nervousness in the hours immediately preceding the first meeting. But since that first time, I've looked forward more and more to each meeting. The other unexpected upside I found was that attending just a few of these meetings made me feel more at ease with myself and more willing to depart from the old "this is how I usually behave" strictures. It's sort of a clean slate feeling in which I feel I can set some new norms for who I am and how I interact with others.

8. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you so much. Congratulations on your forward momentum on your journey as well. I hope my experience is is similar to yours

9. MOGUY

Congratulations! I asked my therapist just a couple weeks ago about such a group and he isn’t aware of any. So, I’ve encouraged him to get one started and he finally agreed that he would. Yesterday, he asked me to be the host when he can’t attend. I know nothing about facilitating such a group but I am determined to get it going.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  10. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    that is amazing news indeed well done! i started going to a lesbian and bi support group over a year now and looking back its the best decission ive ever made. i feel understood, safe and connected and i feel that i can sometimes translate those warm feelings into "straight" enviroments!!
    i was as scared as you described before your first session and i was really surprised that i managed to share stuff cuz i normally have a massive wall up. you should be very proud of yourself and make sure you keep going to these sessions!!all the best

11. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much. That is wonderful that you could be a part of helping people like that. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's more about talking and listening just like a one on one except you have more points of view. You can got this if you need to facilitate the meetings

MOGUY likes this.
  12. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much. I do love how the good feeling from the meeting has lasted. I don't feel like anything has worked like this. It seems like a peace in my mind knowing I am doing what I need to do to be healthy and am on the right track. Good luck with your journey, you are doing good, and we all stand beside you

#12 Bazinga87, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018