Pros and cons of "difficult conversations with my parents"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by anonmember, May 23, 2018.

1. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had several difficult conversations with my parents lately regarding my sexuality. Basically, it takes both of them through mood swings. They're happy at the beginning of the conversation, then when I get more in depth, they get annoyed, then when I get even more in depth, then they get angry, but then in the end, they are back to their happy selves and we come up with good resolutions and it helps me look at things from a different perspective. I used to always hide my private life from my parents, which caused me anxiety, and then talking to them initially causes my anxiety to rise greatly, and then the anxiety is gone at the end. Is this normal?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's pretty normal. I know that for me, I tend to get really anxious in anticipation of such conversations - and during them. But after the relief of having that communication is a great thing.

3. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the end, it honestly feels better not hiding that stuff anymore. It is difficult at first, but it makes me feel better in the end. She used to always coddle me and say “everything is going to be okay....”, which could have to do with my autism, I feel like people with autism (my autism is really mild, but still), tend to have their parents “baby” them more than kids without autism. But that was kind of doing me a disservice. Now as she realizes that, she is taking things from a more honest approach, and sometimes she gives me “truthful” answers that I don’t like hearing. But I am grateful for that because that will help me excel more in the end.