1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by A girl, May 13, 2018.

1. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have posted a thread similar to this one in the Welcoming Area, but I really need some answers,so I'll try posting it here too, if that is okay.
    Soo:
    I am a 18 year old girl and I am questioning my sexuality. I am so happy to have found this place, i joined today, and have already found many posts about people in my situation. It helps to know that you're not alone. Here is some of my history:
    I have never kissed or been in a relationship with anyone. For years, I've thought that I was asexual, and that I couldn't feel attracted to anyone, but I guess that I just haven't been honest to myself. The last couple of months, I have thought alot about this, and I've found out that I actually have been attracted to several girls before, not knowing they were crushes and only thinking that I liked them and wanted to be like them. Earlier, I assumed that I was attracted to guys, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that I've never had a crush on a boy and that I've never thought of a boys the same way that I've thought of girls.
    I have thought alot about this, and concluded that I most likely am not straight. I guess the time will show whether I am bi, pan or lesbian.

When you read this, you might think that it's obvious that I'm not straight, and maby it is, but the real problem for me is: Are these thoughts are real, or are they only thoughts that I am making up in my mind? I understand if it seems strange and confusing. It is. I just get the feeling that the thoughts are only in my mind, and feel the need to ask some people whether or not they are real. I have realised that in the end, I am the only person to answer that question, and that's what making this so hard. I guess it would be easier for me to find out what I am if I had been in a relationship or at least had experiences with that, but I haven't.

Have any of you felt the same way as I do? Have you ever had the impression that those kinds of thoughts are only in your mind and not real? I really feel the need to talk about this with someone. I have thought about coming out as questioning to my mom and my best friend, but I am afraid that it will sound ridiculous.It might be better to wait until I am sure about which sexual orientation I have. What do you think? Should I try to tell them how I feel and explain my confusion?

This post is getting far too long, and I will stop writing now. If you have read all this, it would be lovely if you left a comment too. I really appreciate your thoughts.
    (Please exuse my spelling mistakes. English is not my first language.)

2. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    H

Hey. It’s perfectly okay to question what you assumed you were. I felt the same way before I realized I liked girls. ‘The ABCs of LGBT’ by Ashley Mardell is a great read to figure it out. Maybe tell a close friend or family member who you know won’t judge you. Talking about it with someone can help. Sexuality is very fluid, so you don’t need a label to define yourself, but if you want one, spend some time thinking about it. And don’t rush yourself. It took me two years to figure out my identity. And you’re not alone! (Feel free to message me and ask further questions)

A girl likes this.
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, :slight_smile:. Take a deep breath, its going to be ok. Don't worry about your English it is great.

I think you will come to see that whilst everyones journey is different, many, many people will at some point have had those same questions and doubts in their mind that you have, 'what if I am making it all up?', I guess it is possible but I would say very unlikely, in all the time I have been on EC I think I could count on one hand maybe the number of people who have been questioning their sexuality and then in the end decided they are straight and I would say in most of those cases there were other factors involved. I think if you feel as though you want to tell someone then you should do it. How do you think they will react are they generally LGBT friendly? If you don't want to tell them just yet then feel free to chat to some people on here until you feel more comfortable sharing it with your Mum/best friend.

A girl likes this.
  4. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! I've been in the exact same position about a year ago. I won't repeat all my feelings and thought from that time as they are pretty much the same as what you described.

From the moment I started to really question things I decided to really pay close attention to what comes natural and what I realised was beheaviour I picked up copying my friends (as in thinking I liked boys etc.). It's hard to look past something you've believed your whole life but it also felt liberating. Be carefull not to over analyse everything because that's where it became only more confusing to me. Really go with your gut and you'll feel when something is right and something isn't. Don't be afraid to think and feel what you really feel. You catch yourself staring at a cute girl? Good for you, try to enjoy the feeling instead of condemning yourself (which is what I used to do). You feel something towards a guy? Also great, pay attention to what it's like compared to girls. Maybe you're gay or maybe you're bi, maybe you like both/all sexes but just in a different way!

Live your life and go with whatever feels right for you. Don't worry too much about the label. If you want to talk to a friend or your mom and you know they'll be supportive, you don't sound ridiculous at all

5. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are awsome! I am so relieved to read that people are accepting me! It is very reassuring to know that others have experienced the same confusions, and that they have come out of it alive. When I checked this page today to see if there were any replies to my post, I got so surprised and moved that I cried tears of happiness and relief. It is great to talk to people who understands me, and to know that I'm not alone.
    I don't know many LGBTQ+ people, so it's very comforting to speak to people who actually understands my feelings and my confusion.
    Most of the people I know are accepting and supportive to the LGBTQ+ community, but I think some are a bit sceptical. Unfortunately.

I am thinking about telling my mom and/or my best friend (who is also my cousin) about my confusion, but I don't have the courage to start the conversation. I am so afraid that they will tell me it is only a phase, and what do I know? Maby it is?! Maby I am making it all up, and that those confused thoughts are only in my head?! I feel the need to figure things out myself before telling anyone anything, but on the other hand, I need to tell them and get it off my chest. I also think that if I was straight, I wouldn't question my sexuality as much as I do. Does that sound stupid?

Anyway: I really appreciated your comments, and I want to thank each and everyone of you for making my confused life a lot easier. Thank you!

6. Avian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just read through your post, and I realized: this is exactly what I’ve been going through! In fact, I’ve even convinced myself before that I’d made up having a crush on a girl. I absolutely understand what you’re saying about wondering if it is just a phase. That’s also why I haven’t come out to my parents. However, I recently came out as questioning/probably bisexual to my school GSA, and it really helped take some of that weight of of my chest. Do you have any supportive friends or allies you can confide in? And, of course, if you want to talk, just shoot me a message!

A girl likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are welcome and you are definitely not alone. I'm glad the tears were happy ones.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that first made you question your sexuality, was it a particular girl? A situation?

8. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really appreciate your replies.
    It makes me very happy that you came out as questioning/ probably bisexual, Avian! That might give me the confidence to do the same. You see: All of the few LGBTQ people I know about have come out as gay, and are so confident in it, so reading that you came out as questioning or probably bisexual (which is something I hope to do in the nearest future), really gave me hope. Thank you for sharing it! I do have a few people that I know will accept me no matter what sexual orientation I have, but it is really difficult for me to find the courage to tell them.

Silverhalo:
    I have never felt any attraction towards boys, i think, and I have now come to realise that I might have had a crush on a few girls during my childhood and early youth. I think that the first thing that made me question my sexuality was that almost all the girls on my age had boyfriends, and the boys had girlfriends. Everyone thought and spoke so much about it (as most girls do at that age), and I just couldn't understand why boys were that important to girls.They said "Oh, look at that cute guy! You just want to marry him right away, don't you?", and I felt absolutely nothing. I didn't find him attractive at all! At that time I didn't find anyone attractive (boys or girls), so I started to think about that I might be an asexual. I just wanted to be normal, and if i couldn't be normal, I at least wanted to figure out what I was. That was a little more than a year ago.
    A few months ago, I was in a theatre group, and we performed the musical Hairspray. The main character was a girl, and she was so talented and beautiful. Every rehearsal, I became more and more facinated by her. Every time I was on stage together with her, i felt something special- I think it must have been serious butterflies. Every time she spoke to me, I got nervous and couldn't find the right words for answering her. At the last performance, all members of the cast hugged each other, and when she hugged me, it just felt so good. I wanted that feeling to last forever.
    So I guess that's how I started to question my sexuality.

Thanks to all of you for caring. EC is a great place!

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds about right, it can be difficult to figure these things, out but honestly, to me it sounds like you have quite a bit of it figured out already you just need a bit of support and encouragement from people that can understand what you are going through. You will get there just take it one step at a time.

A girl likes this.
  10. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy seeing people relate to your post makes you feel validated. I get it, when I first started to question I felt like the only person in the world that didn't have this figured out. We always see those out and proud people but you never know about to people who are questioning and confused because they usally don't talk about it.

I also felt a real need to tell someone. I did eventually tell my best friend I was questioning long before I started to see things more clearly. Being able to talk to someone, putting my thoughts into words and having the feedback of a supporting person that has known me forever (and sometimes knows me better than I know myself) was really helpfull. If you really want to get it of your chest, you might just talk to someone about the fact that you think you like girls (and from what you've written, it seems like you do). When I tell people, I usually don't say I'm gay or bi... but just I like girls. Because that's all I know for sure. Then when someone askes about more specifics I say I identify as gay but don't rule out the possability of falling for a guy some day and you know what, people really get that and are a lot more open-minded than I expected.

It's hard to really accept something when you don't have a lot of experience because I totally get the fear of 'what if I'm making this up?'.But when you picture your life with a girl/boy, what does it look/feel like? I guess the answer is often right there, just in the way you picture your life and what feels right to you. For example, when I started accepting I'm waaay more into girls than boys, the idea that maybe I was making it up and would eventually end up with a boy just seemed like such a sad and dull future, I guess that says it all right?

I'm always here if yo uwant to talk :slight_smile:

#10 LunaMare, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    A girl and SquareBiz like this.
  11. ExtraEv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh my gosh, my head is swimming from how much I relate to your post. Especially your feelings for the girl in your theatre group. I spent time with girl in a theatre group, and I felt the exact same thing. I didn't know if I liked girls, or if I liked her, but I knew I wanted every interaction between us to happen again. She grabbed my hand once, and I almost cried. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm bi or gay or whatever. And I worry about coming out as questioning before I'm sure. Thanks for posting so I can relate :slight_smile:

A girl likes this.
  12. sunsets67

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate to what you are saying as well. I had an intense girl crush in high school (lasted for 3 years) and my parents thought it was "just a phase", and I thought it was too. Then as I got older, I continued to have crushes on guys, but also felt attracted to girls, and just told myself "you just think she's pretty, you just admire her is all". I can relate to the "am I making this up?" feeling as well, because when mainstream media tells you "straight is great" (in U.S. anyway) and not much else, it can be hard to know there are other valid options besides straight to consider.
    Allow yourself to feel what you are feeling; it's worth it.

A girl likes this.
  13. Avian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yay! I’m so glad that my post gave you some confidence! I wish you the absolute best of luck on your journey!

A girl likes this.
  14. scifiname

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Curious- why did you think you were making it up? Was it because you wanted your crush to be real, or you wanted it to be fake (i.e. did you hope to be gay or straight?) Cause when I was a kid and realized I had a crush on my best friend, I felt so guilty and wanted to be straight, but now anytime I feel anything for a guy I hope it's just in my head. Women make me feel so much better to be around and be with... but sometimes I wonder if I still like guys. Anyways... I remember when I first joined and being SO shocked at how many people were having the same feelings, even if their journeys were a little bit different. I hope you find clarity soon!

A girl likes this.
  15. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know why I feel that I'm making it up. I kind of want my crush to be real, and kind of not. (If that makes any sense.) I want it to be real because if it isn't real, I don't know what is real anymore, but I want also don't wnat it to be real because it makes me feel guilty (as you described, Cierra) I'll write more later. Have to go now.

16. mino458

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I love this entire thread, its so what I've been going through. I constantly tell myself that you can think a girl is pretty and still like guys. I'm lucky to have a really supportive family but they are always telling me not to discount boys entirely so I try to tell myself that what I feel for other girls is just admiration. Its hard to know what's real and what isn't when you get into that cycle of trying to persuade yourself that you're wrong.

A girl likes this.
  17. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so true! I totally understand what you mean by saying that you try to tell yourself that what you feel for girls is just admiration. So good to know there are others out there who have the same thoughts as myself. I am glad you like the thread!

As you see, I was in a hurry when I wrote my latest post here:
    What I ment to write is: but I also don't want it to be real, because it makes me feel guilty and maby a little ashamed (as you described, Cierra).
    I actually think I absolutely want it to be real, because the thought of her being my girlfriend is just wow... Although I know that will never happend... When I picture my life with a girl, I think it would be great, actually. I don't have any experiences sexually, so it's hard for me to imagine how that part would be, but I think at least emotionally it would be great to have a girlfriend. When it comes to having a boyfriend, I have no idea. Neither sexually nor emotionally. If he is the absolutely right guy, maybe it would be nice, but I have problems imagining the right guy as a guy! He turns out to be a girl...I think, maybe, I find it easier to fall in love with girls. (I don't know if this makes sense to you.)

mino458, scifiname and Avian like this.
  18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this sounds like deep down you know the answer but the thought of getting that into the real world is scary and daunting, I think you have to just try and take baby steps and take each thing one at a time so that the whole thing doesn't feel so overwhelming.

A girl likes this.
  19. scifiname

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with silverhalo that you have a pretty good idea deep down how you feel, at least about women. I really relate to what you said about being sure that you want to be with a girl emotionally but can't speak to how you feel sexually. I have had crushes on women that made me really turned on so I know it's possible, but I've never been with a girl before, only kissed a few and they were really boring and bad but possibly because I was drunk and didn't know who they were/didn't think they were cute to start, but sometimes I get worried that I'll fall in love with a girl and we'll get the bedroom and then... nothing. No spark. But I think that we have to cross that bridge once we get to it, and that it's not crucial to have your feelings for women 100% figured out before you start experimenting with them. I totally get what you mean about that "wow" feeling at the thought of being with a girl... girls are great. And straight girls don't feel like that, so if anything, you can probably safely consolidate yourself with the knowledge that you're not straight.

A girl likes this.
  20. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for replies, everybody! I really feel that this thread has helped me to figure out that I like girls, and that I'm at least not straight. I guess time will show whether I am gay or bi or pan or anything else, but for now, I will take baby steps (as you said, silverhalo), and try to be comfortable with the thought of not being straight. ( In a way I am comfortable with it already, but not in all ways) Just like you said, silverhalo, it feels pretty scary and overwhelming, but I will try to stop persuading myself to think it is all in my head, and accept the truth as it is. (Even though it still feels a bit like it is only in my mind...) I know that I like that girl, and I know that I think it would be nice to have a girlfriend in the future. I don't know what the future will bring, maybe I end up finding a perfect boy and live the rest of my life in a straight relationship, but at the moment that seems pretty unlikely. I feel that it would be a bit too scary to put a label on myself before I am more sure about how I feel, but as you said, LunaMare, it can be enough just to say that I like girls .
    I also think that I'll try to find the confidence to come out as questioning/ "liking girls" to my mom and my best friend. I know that they will accept me no matter who I like, and really feel that it would take a lot of the weight of my chest.
    Thank you so much for helping me, guys! I hope you all know how much it means to me. :green_heart:

scifiname and LunaMare like this.