1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Title

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Quantumreality, May 8, 2018.

1. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something admins will have to discuss. I believe at the time, it was a conscious choice to aim that forum at parents and family, but I can't remember for sure. I'm not sure how "For Parents and Family Members of LGBT people" could be confusing, and even if so, how adding "friends" to it would clarify. If you can help us understand that, it will help us in considering it.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey @Chip,

My thought process is pretty simple and straightforward. My point isn’t that For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People is confusing, it’s just not as specifically inclusive as before. I get the impression that the lack of that specific clarity may discourage some people from posting in that forum, even when it is totally appropriate.

Previously (before the software update), I believe the forum was called For Parents, Family Members and Friends of LGBT People. There were a number of posts in that old forum from (usually straight) people who had questions/concerns/issues relating to actual, possible or perceived LGBTQ friends and acquaintances. Since the software update, I’ve noticed several posts along those lines in other forums, especially the Family, Friends and Relationships forum.

It seems to me that the For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People for is/was primarily focused on educating (primarily straight) people on understanding and interacting with real or suspected LGBTQ family members or friends. Whereas the Family, Friends and Relationships forum is/was focused on support for LGBTQ people in dealing with questions/concerns/issues relating to their (LGBTQ or straight) family members and friends.

Just my thoughts.

#3 Quantumreality, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the clarification. It's definitely something we'll look at. I know we made a couple of intentional changes to forum names when we transition to the new platform, but don't remember making that one so it is possible it was an oversight. The admins will discuss, but it will probably take a bit because two of the four of us are pretty tied up right now with outside-of-EC commitments.