1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbour stress

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DirectionNorth, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, i wasn't sure where to put this, but i'm really not sure what to do given the very odd circumstances.

I think i had posted for advice before about dealing with a monster upstairs neighbour in my last apartment. I had moved and i think they kicked him out and had even told me recently(i'm still in the same complex, just a different building) he had mental problems and other complaints. So, my new place was quiet at first except odd bumps here and there, as to be expected. But for the past while, my new upstairs neighbour is getting worse and worse. While not as bad as the other guy who banged and had loud tantrums for hours on end, this guy is creeping me out so much. And the sounds are tiny and don't last long so i can't complain. But call me crazy for being freaked out when i was taking a nap before around 3pm, wasn't moving or rolling around and i don't snore or breathe loud, he literally knocks on his floor above me. And, even if i was making alot of noise, one maybe does like 3 or 4 firm stomps to say knock off the racket. Not 5/6 knocks with your knuckles as if knocking at someone's door. I have a loft bed so it was directly above my head. And noni wasn't sleeping at that point and hadn't drifted off or whatever. Because throughoit the day he was doing stomping or popping sounds(you know those small firework things that you throw on the ground and it makes a tiny pop), and there were two different bird calls in the corner where my head is( opposite side of the window, it was not just a bird fromoutside.)

So, i don't know what to do because i only want to call management or 311 if he was making ridiculous disturbing noises like yelling or throwing massive things and nonstop bangs, etc, not because he knocked above my head for no reason(as weird as that is.)

2. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please? That really freaked me out earlier when he knocked on his floor/my ceiling the way someone knocks at a door. My mind is still stressing from that.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think it was intentional? How would he know where your bed was or that you were in it at that moment?

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sounds awful. Clearly you moved from one awful situation into another situation that is not so bad but is still distressing.

Such close living, alas, does bring us into contact with others, some of whom are assholes. Sometimes it's the quality of the building, but often it's because they are assholes. It can even happen, though, if you live in a house and have just one neighbour.

I know it's awkward to go to a neighbour to complain. Only you can know if it's worthwhile doing so. You could call management and ask if that neighbour above has been complained about before. I wonder if the previous dweller in your new apartment moved out to get away from the situation you find yourself in.

What is 311 by the way?

I hope that things improve for you.

5. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He could have just been doing something to make a knock like that... not actually knocking at you.

If it happens again then, yeah, come back to this thread and ask for advice but I dont think you have anything to worry about, to be honest.

Richard321 likes this.
  6. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, i was writing that in a rush(as is obvious by all my typos): it's not that i think he knows where i was in my room, that could be coincidence because that room is small, so that probably was coincidence or just maybe where he frequents or whatever. I do, however, think it was intentional or at least he has odd behaviour by default. Later yesterday, he was standing in the stairwell whistling for a good half hour. And another time, i was having a fight with my mom on the phone, and was keeping my volume in check- being in an apartment- but it was heated, and he went into the stairwell and just loudly whistled for a bit. I'd rather be told to keep it down in a normal way, like stomp on the floor or knock on the door, but that was just bizarre. I blew that off as just a weird fluke before.

So, there is a chance he is just a bizarre character, but i'll have to keep my eye out if things like the knocking continue.

7. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you. And, yes, i do think the soundproofing in the building in general is awful, but some of the things he does is bizarre. And there is a major chance i'm just nervous about a repeat of my last apartment.

If it continues, i think i might try to record it and show it to the management. I'm hesitant to bother them because of pestering them about that last guy.

Oh, 311 is the nonemergency police line that you can call about noise complaints and when they're not busy, they check it out and tell the person or people to keep it down.

8. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all of your responses, though!

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  9. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Ugh, I have a similar neighbor. He has an addiction to alcohol and frequently gets drunk so he will bang things, smash things made out of glass, yell, cuss, swear and even go to the apartment corridors and kick doors while yelling obscenities. Yes, we've called the police. Unfortunately he lives directly above us, so we are the ones that have to live with most of the noise so the rest rarely complain.

I want to go live in a cave sometimes.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  10. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry to hear that. Bad neighbours are nightmares.

DirectionNorth and Silveroot like this.
  11. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Luckily, meditation can help with anything. Meditating in a cave would be easier though.

DirectionNorth and Richard321 like this.
  12. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That, in a way, is more like my last neighbour. Except he would sometimes do that for hours on end(he threw a tantrum for 18 hours nonstop, you bet i had to say goodbye to any hope of decent sleep). And he was smart, when he would hear maintenance or police go up the stairs to him, he would stop and hide and not answer the door. Then proceed around 5/10 minutes after the coast was clear. And every time i would be on the phone, he would stop suddenly then start when i finished talking. A couple times would be a coincidence, this happened for months and sometimes in the middle of a day-long tantrum. And when my mom came to help me move, for the most part he was quiet and just doing normal sounds, then when she would leave for a while, he'd start again. And before you call me crazy, the last day of getting all my stuff out and finishing touches, she was alone and SHE HEARD HIM THROWING A TANTRUM AND BANGING AND EVERYTHING!! I was legit starting to think it was in my head because no one else had really witnessed it. And because the building soundproofing is pretty bad, it's not out of the realmof possibility, but is still insane. I still don't know why he was doing that and being smart about it, i don't know what his aim was. It's one thing to just be a noisy asshole or have mental problems, but to be able to stop and start like that and be smart about when to throw tantrums proves he could control it.

Richard321 likes this.
  13. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He was just a complete asshole. People like that should be made to live beside each other.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  14. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this was a new tenant(which i know it's not) i wouldn't write anything. This guy for the last few days has gotten alot worse, and he knows it. For 2 hours starting at 8am sharp, he paced back and forth slowly and loudly stomping. I say stomping because he doesn't normally walk like this and walks quietly at other times, as well as i think he does have carpeting. At the end of each pace, he would go in a different direction and stomp slower or faster, but definitely louder than the last pace. For 2 hours, then throughout the day here and there. And other times he walks normally, so he is doing the stomping on purpose. It's not that he's heavy footed and always walks like that. And he then, yesterday as well, he goes down the stairs taps his foot or something twice in front of my door, goes back up into his room stomps a little, then repeats the process. Yesterday, when he was doing that stairwell thing, for the first few hours, i thought it was just maintenance or whatever, but after a few hours, i looked out of the peephhole, and upstairs guy was just standing on the stairwell facing my door for a good 30 seconds, then goes to his room, carrying nothing. Not doing laundary. And if he was just exercising he would go down to the first floor, right? (I'm not on the first floor or second.) But i distinctly heard him go from his apartment down the stairs and nothing for a good 2 minutes, then back up into his apartment, repeating that same process from 8am to 1pm yesterday. I checked at around 12pm. And why tap his foot or something distinctly twice in front of my door each time?!

15. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds awful and very distressing. The guy clearly has issues. Have you reported him yet? Can you or are you able to talk to other neighbours in the block about him, too? I'd also consider registering your concerns with police because he is acting strangely as well as anti socially.

#15 Richard321, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018