1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoors and Wilderness Experiences

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by smee, Apr 18, 2018.

1. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are a number of folks here who get out into nature to recharge, either to the woods, the water, to the mountains, the desert or what have you. I was wondering if it would be worth it to open a discussion about our experiences, what we do, any high points, low points, questions, concerns, etc..

I've been hiking and running rivers since I was a kid. Since coming out to myself I have noticed that there are a lot of straight, white guys out there. :slight_smile: While I have always felt safe and that hasn't changed, there have been a few awkward or uncertain moments.

If it's ok, I'd like to leave it at that for now. So, whattya got to say?.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The beach is my happiest place. I love everything about being around the ocean. I do everything from just walking through the sand feeling the wind, to surfing or just laying on a boogie board in the water letting myself drift around with the waves. It's extremely relaxing and serene. I lived right next to one for awhile so spent entire days with friends just lounging around the beach taking it all in.

A low point I guess would be the time I stupidly went out there in the middle of a hurricane thinking the big waves would be fun. As long as you don't fall down it's great - once you fall though, not so much fun being repeatedly slammed into the beach and rocks 20 times in a row by the large waves and strong wind as you struggle to stand up but can't. I don't recommend the experience.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this. I love just walking along the beach and looking for nice shells. :slight_smile:

Destin likes this.
  4. Rich319

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose my thing is to walk deep into the woods. Find an open area. So secluded that I can sun bath. That is very relaxing to me.
    Is that wrong?
    Comments?

5. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love being out in nature! It doesn't matter where, be it mountains, desert, beach, or forest! I do love going to new and interesting places though. I love swimming, hiking, and walking mostly. I mostly just walk in the local city park as of late. There are larger parks close by I would prefer to go to, but I don't feel safe walking alone. Not that anything has happened at a park. Just don't like the idea of walking alone and running into a creep.

6. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I lived by the beach for 2 years before moving back to the frozen tundra, and I have to say it’s my happy place! I also like anywhere there is a waterfall, they are so calming- I can spend a whole day there.

Went to Glacier Park and Banff, Canada last year and they were both awe-inspiring!!!! My favorite smell is the pine smell in the mountains!! Switzerland is another breathtaking experience!!

Destin likes this.
  7. NoName87

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Avid snowboarder. I love being the middle of nowhere on a nice gladed run with natural moguls and fresh powder. The possibilities, the freedom allows me the ability to just let go to completely focus on the moment, which is extremely hard for me to do. When I am in nature and on my board I am at peace!

For me the downside was the culture surrounding snowboarding. Freedom of expression was the essence of snowboarding however I didn’t feel the majority of my fellow boarders felt the same when applying that to other facets of life. Unfortunately I fell victim to playing the chameloen just to fit in.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to backpack into pretty remote areas, on 5 to 10 day trips. Loved doing that but haven't done it for a while. Now my favorite things is natural hot springs. There are two within a couple hours of me that I regularly visit. I also enjoy hiking. I think all of these are great ways to contemplate, relax, and basically disconnect from the sometimes frantic and frenetic pace of regular society.

9. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live on the Eastern Range and lived in remote Montana for a summer. I love hiking, horseback riding (I train and had a horse until I put her down recently), and want to start backpacking and camping. Also backpacked across Ireland and am trying to save up to go to Mongolia and Iceland in the future.

10. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in the mountains, the woods and river are right outside my door. I ride mtn bikes and go hiking somewhat regularly.
    The ocean really is the most relaxing thing I can think of though.

Destin and signmypapyrus like this.
  11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I long for the day when I can bring my partner to share the experience I had long ago, in my late teens, of wandering on that mile-long sandy beach that I had all to myself on the shores of Hudson's Bay. I lived and worked during those summers in a little village nearby that was shared by the Cree, Inuit and White tribes...Kuujuarapik (formerly Great Whale River), in Northern Quebec...

Sure, the water is cold as hell all summer long, and the icebergs and ice flows linger until May and June...but OMG! The sunsets! The same clean cool light that shone through the tough beach grasses turned the lichen-splashed rocks and dwarf conifers into a brilliant ocher. The wind was often gentle, but relentless, I could fly a kite just by tying the string to some driftwood.

Those short summer nights that followed...there would be a bright red and yellow patch in the western sky, lasting until sunrise, where the sun had set just below the horizon; there were countless stars and frequent incursions of Northern Lights (aurora borealis), waving like eerily luminescent green wind-swept curtains above our heads.

So now, in my current "reality"...I spend my days and nights in front of a screen manipulating symbols and concepts, living in heated boxes, or driving heated boxes with wheels on the same freeways and roads, day in, day out ...is this progress?

When I get those rare chances to "recharge" in the wild, what this especially means to me is a direct and unmediated experience of reality and of nature in all its forms. As Henry David Thoreau stated in his essay Walking : "In wildness is the preservation of the world!"

Peterpangirl and NoName87 like this.
  12. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, folks. Getting into nature helps me get away from the dramas of life, and hearing about it helps too.

I love whitewater in that there's always a dialog between yourself and the river. While I'm proudest when I can do a perfect eddy turn or make a difficult maneuver, one of my favorite moments was actually a protracted swim in a rapid. The line was fairly free of rocks, and I just hung onto my boat and enjoyed the fluidity and mirth (really!) of the water.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lakes and mountains. Totally cut off from mobile phone calls and text messages with breath taking scenery as far as the eye can see. Great for switching off.

Also like going to a quiet beach late in the day and watching the sunset. Something incredibly serene and soothing about it. When we went to Cyprus a few years ago it became a nightly ritual watching the sun set over the Mediterranean.

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Smee

I, too, am an avid outdoor person. I ski, mountain bike, kite surf, rock and ice climb. I live in the mountains. I sure do get how nature can recharge one.

I am curious that you mentioned that there are "a lot of straight white guys out there" and that this has "caused awkward or uncertain moments". Could you elaborate on that some? Do you sometimes feel threatened by these men, or, hmmm, attracted to them because they, too, enjoy the outdoors?

I'm into guys that like to play outdoors. The only men I am attracted to really. I sometimes wonder if there is some sort of primal attraction that is stimulated by being in a more "natural" environment.

15. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry I'm late replying. PM me if you like.

16. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love nature as well. I just had my most challenging hike ever, 7hrs, earlier. I did see a lot of white good looking men earlier, not that i'm into them, I liked to glance more on the ladies that they were with lol

17. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I come from and was born in a highland area in Java island and I love mountain. When I left my village and work in the city, Jakarta, close to the sea I always miss mountain. See the top of mount when I back home, it is like I got a huge energy to live.
    However, I love beach too. The first time I know beach, sea,waves and sands, it was like strange in my life because whole of my life before I only know highland area, mount, rivers,land, rice fields, wood etc. My first ex bf, brought me to Ayer beach, close to the Krakatoa mount in the Sunda Strait area in West Java. I still remember, I was very happy that I could visit Ayer beach because it was very popular in 2000's.
    Nature for me is always be my friend. I hike in some areas, Boston area, Western Mass Greylock mountain, Berkshire in the US, I love it beside nature in my country, three fourth of Java island I had explore, Sumatera and Sulawesi Islands.
    I am a village boy so that nature is always be my soul.

#17 Sundara, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  18. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys,
    If I have money and much free time I love to explore Alaska, that is my dreams. Also, wilderness in Canada is interesting place to explore. I want to know Nova Scotia.
    Thx

#18 Sundara, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  19. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This post reminds me of my younger days whilst I I spent moments embraced by nature.Sometimes in life, during conversations with trees, nature welcomes you to share a touch of the gentle breeze.

NoName87 likes this.