1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letting go and moving on

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheFox, Apr 16, 2018.

1. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, let me just clear one thing. I am disastrously bad at letting go and moving on. From things, memories, or people. -.-''

I thought I moved on from my last ex. We dated for about a year and a half and have been apart for a half a year now. I did the 30 days no-contact to get myself together after she broke up with me. She said she wanted us to be friends, although I don't know why if by her words 'we had nothing in common'. I told her I needed some time but she was welcome to contact me later. I would not be making the first move after feeling so rejected. And I did not. She kept her contact up by making two purchases of some handmade gifts I make and sell. And requested she picks them up personally. So we saw each other then. But she got upset I didn't have time for more chatting. I was under the impression that if she wanted to have coffee she would invite me for coffee, not throw a bone and hope I make all the other moves. We went to coffee once after that and it was ok. I made the move of course.
    But our contact is now zero for the last 4 months. And I was ok with that ...

But I still can't get her out of my mind. I know I shouldn't want her back but I miss her still like it was yesterday. It was not a perfect relationship but it was a good one up until the last two or three months.

Now, before you say, stop being a proud bitch and call her, let me explain the last few months of our relathinship.

I knew from the beginning that she smoked weed, but she kinda kept the frequency hidden. And when I found out I was not ok with her getting high every day. And the promises that she will make it less frequent kept unfulfilled. She started drinking more in the last two months of our relationship. After a trip with her friends to a music festival (where they were drunk and high all the time) she came home confused if she still wants to be with me. But also saying she doesn't want to lose me. I tried to be patient. I tried to be more relaxed and not let stress ower my job take me over. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore and told her I want to be with her and I couldn't end it. If she wants to end it, she should end it now. This was two weeks after a man attacked me and tried to rape me. I fought him off but was very distressed and in shock. And when I'm processing things I don't show it. I have all my defences up. She did end it that time. And went on another short drinking holiday with her friends later that evening.

Am I an idiot to want her back? I know I am. I just have to hear it from someone else. I feel ashamed talking to my friends about this. They think she isn't worth my time.

Thank you for reading all that... I didn't realize I had so much to write. HUG to all of you!

2. Lisboa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    TheFox of course you are not an idiot! I have gone trought a similar situation. My partner started drinking like 24/7 and i was not okay. Before breaking up we were already lacking comunication. I was with with him for a year and a half and as you we've been apart for half a year.
    And i still miss him, even now that i'm bisexual (still in the closet).
    It's normal to miss her because she made you happy. It's just that you have to accept it. You have to accept the fact that she is gone but also you have to accept to yourself that you miss her. And eventually you'll forgive her and then you can even be friends with her.

Richard321 likes this.
  3. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for sharing your story!
    I guess it really is ok to miss someone and not feel like you have the wrong feelings.

Guywest79 likes this.
  4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,,
    Hi, TheFox,

Sadly you are right. You shouldn't dwell on her.

Yes, it hurts. We sometimes want someone despite that person being bad for us.

It will hurt. I can feel that hurt. But you mustn't keep wanting her. Look for someone more suitable for you.

Best wishes.

5. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Change is tough at any time. What I do sometimes....may work do for you, is list off pluses and minuses and see objectively which comes out ahead. Case in point I have an acquaintance who.loves fact I've been into him but hecsats he' not feeling same...guy has lot of minuses in my opinion and we may not be fading and pulling apart but I've hung on for the few pluses....go with your gut feel in my opinion...I've regretted when I didn't. Hope it helps.