1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to cashiers.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure why, but when it comes to talking to cashiers I just end up freezing and mumbling my words. There's no logical reason for it, after all I speak to others just fine, what's so different about cashiers? Yet I seem to lose my ability to speak in such situations, they can say the most basic form of conversation and it's almost as if I forget how to form words, for instance;

Cashier: Oh hey, this is a good book for people who like cats.

Me: Yeah I um *incomprehensible mumbling* OK bye. *Speedily walks out the door*

Or

Person: "Good day".

Me: "I-t-um-yeah".

*Buys item*

Person: "Alright, well Good bye".

Me: "B-" *leaves*.

Anyone else get anxious around cashiers for seemingly no reason? I don't understand why this happens. :face_palm:People have told me that I look angry/ have a face that says "Don't talk to me" when I talk to cashiers so yeah... I should just be able to make conversation, and then exit with ease.

Why does this happen? Ugh.

So, does anyone else get this? Any tips on how to act more natural around cashiers, or just deal with anxiety in general? :upside_down:

#1 Canterpiece, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you're alone in this and I'm guessing it's probably quite common! Although I can't explain why it happens with just cashiers though...but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My advice would be to try and slow things down if possible, make eye contact and smile, take your time and remember to breathe. I know I can make a fool out of myself near the cashier when there are people waiting behind me - I throw coins everywhere and anywhere because I feel rushed then I turn beetroot red before I sprint out. It's silly really when I think about it afterwards...

But yes, maybe have a go-to script when it comes to generic interactions so you don't have to think about it so much on the spot? My go-to after being asked "Hello, how are you today?" is "Hey, I'm good thanks. How are you?". Literally EVERY time I get asked that, I automatically respond the same. I'd say 8 out of 10 interactions end with their answer to my question and then I go on my merry way.

However, sometimes you have someone who makes a bit more of an effort (which is quite nice really when you think about it) and may throw you off with a not-so generic question. Like the example you gave about the book about cats. Just try to smile and make eye contact if you can't manage anything else. Trust me, even that can go a long way - you don't always have to rely on verbals. I used to work in retail and it made my day when a customer actually looked at me or made some form of small talk.

I'm guessing that practice makes perfect in these situations too, to gain confidence?

Unsure if any of that is helpful haha.

Ruby Dragon and Canterpiece like this.
  3. MaskedHero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I also stutter for no reason.

I’m usually pretty good at talk when it amounts to a business transaction but for some reason the small talk with cashiers just flubs me. It eventually becomes so awkward that it’s like ripping off a bandaid to get the transaction over with.

The irony of it all is that I used to be a cashier.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I used to be really bad for stuttering.

At four years old, my teachers sent me to speech therapy. It used to be so bad that I became selectively mute out of anxiety for a while.

These days I speak eloquently enough, but then in moments such as the ones above I can stutter, mumble, and overuse filler words.

People are actually surprised when I tell them about the speech therapy. "But you speak so well!" they protest. Unfortunately, as I have mentioned above, I have moments where my progress seems to revert. :face_palm: Usually though I don't stutter anymore.

#4 Canterpiece, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  5. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate it when a cashier comments on what I am buying. It’s nothing bad, but it makes me so uncomfortable. If there is a self checkout, I always choose this option. Glad to hear I’m not alone!

Canterpiece likes this.
  6. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have issues talking to people in stores too. I'll walk around for half an hour looking for something myself instead of asking an employee where it is just to avoid talking to them. I don't stutter with cashiers but I pretty much destroy the conversation as quickly as possible.

Them: "How are you today sir?"

Me: "good"

Them: "oh, good"

Conversation over.

It doesn't help that I hate stores and shopping to begin with. I don't know why, but just being in a store makes me more annoyed by the minute. After 30ish minutes I even get a headache and start to feel sick.

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends. Sometimes I don't say a word to cashiers other than "hi" "bye" "thank you" "have a good day". Other times I have a full-blown conversation with them. I think for me it depends on if there's a line of people behind me, and also what I'm buying/surroundings/something they are wearing (usually pins or if they a wearing casual clothes and have a t-shirt with a favorite character/show/movie etc.). Also I think it just depends on the person. Despite working in customer service, some cashiers and salespeople just don't seem approachable.

One of my best screw ups with a cashier/service person is answering "You too." at the worst time. Happened once at the movies. The girl hands me my food and says "Thank you and enjoy your movie" I answer with "Thanks, you too!" and walk away, realizing my mistake. It's happened a few other times as well.

Richard321 and Niagara like this.
  8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible that the cashier has been told to do this. Compliment the customers shopping, make them feel good, etc.

I don't know that I've got any advice as such, but I worked in a customer facing role for the best part of ten years. You can normally sense when a customer doesn't want to talk and know not to push it, but you still have to say everything you have to say. And the small awkward things wouldn't really register as anything unusual, i.e. I doubt the cashiers in question would talk about it amongst themselves. It's normally the customers who talk more that stand out in the memory, like the one who told me the he didn't want to be celibate forever, among other things...

#8 LostInDaydreams, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My life story, lol. Nothing worse than having someone already loading their stuff on the counter before I'm done putting my money in my wallet!

I have no issue with talking to cashiers though. I don't like small talk that much, but with them, it usually makes their day if you can joke about something or make a witty remark. What I do is, as soon as the cashier looks at me, I smile and greet them. Then they usually ask if I want a bag, to which I will either say yes or no thanks. And I never walk away without telling them to have a lovely day. I'm a very friendly person but I'm also very quiet. In those types of situations, I can handle small talk because I know that it won't last long. But in general circumstances, I loathe small talk. Nothing worse than someone commenting on the weather, or talking about themselves non-stop. Grinds my gears. I mean, I don't want to hear about you neighbour's aunt's second cousin's cat who had babies. Just a quick hello and be done with it already. Sheesh

DCSC likes this.
  10. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are absolutely right, I know they don’t intend to annoy me and are just trying to be friendly. I’m just so self conscious that I internalize their comments. Heaven forbid if I ever went through the line with condoms and lube. That would just about stop my heart... not that I’ve had any need for them as of yet. Thank god for the self checkout lines!!

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha...I was so nervous when I had to buy a pregnancy test

#11 LostInDaydreams, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go to Lidl or Aldi if you can. The cashiers there are super quick and usually dont care to talk to you at all.

Otherwise just give one word answers while still being polite. They will get the idea and will probably be relieved not to have the same conversation that they've already had 100 times that day.

13. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have lines. I always say the same thing.

Cashier: Hello, how are you today?

Me: Good. How are you?

Cashier: I’m doing alright.

Me: That’s good.

I then may ask if they’ve had a long day. Most have and will tell you a little as they bag stuff. Cashiers have a very repetitive, boring job, and conversation helps pass the time. They are often not very respected as human, so it makes their day if you seems to care or notice that they are people with lives to.

Just listen, nod. Then when all the bagging is finished and the payment complete. I say, “Well have a nice day.”

And they’ll say, “you too.” Or vice versa.

I think a lot of what your feeling is the rushed feeling you get standing in line, knowing people or waiting. I’ll get this feeling even if people weren’t behind me just because I associated the cashier with this feeling.

Like the others said, just take it slow, think about what you want to say. Smile. Try to think about how much it must suck being there let for hours. Your feet hurting, everyone giving you grumpy looks.... This is how I learned to better handle my interactions with the cashier anyway.)

Richard321 likes this.
  14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This doesn't happen to me personally. However I work as a cashier and do get people who get anxious around me. I have no idea why. I'm pretty harmless haha.

15. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I’ve heard, its absolute hell working in a supermarket in the USA.

I imagine I’ve only heard the horror stories though.

16. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty much any job dealing with the public is absolute hell. Because usually the public is extremely rude or extremely stupid...or both.

Richard321 likes this.
  17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well actually it's at a restaurant. But I still have some good stories.

18. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's because they are the people we come into contact with most, but they are working while we are not. There is a separation of positions. I don't at all mean that shopper is more important than cashier. For me there is no power dynamic here. The cashier is being careful not to cross any lines and so are we, but we are doing so from different positions. On top of that I'd be thinking, "do they really want to talk to me? This is artificial chat. Are they for real?", etc. Then there might be the "wow, she's nice" element on top of it all.

#18 Richard321, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  19. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s the same for me when I get my hair cut. They are being nice and chatty and I just want my hair cut. It’s so stupid, but I find myself giving elusive answers because I don’t want them to get to know me. I’m such a dork!!! I want to meet a guy, yet I want to be anonymous. At this rate I’ll have a great imagination, a tired hand and no mate.

Richard321 likes this.
  20. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be a cashier at a market. Most people were at least polite if not friendly. Rarely were people rude. One time a guy growled at me, I think he was just mentally Ill though.

That job helped me big time with my social anxiety because you have to interact with a new person every few minutes. It’s a great job for people with that problem.

As a former cashier. You should not be anxious around us. We’re people just like you and before you walked up we were probably making inappropriate jokes with eachother or talking about how our job is killing us on the inside. Or talking about the last person who came through our line that did something hilarious or rude.

Don’t be rude to us, we will remember you.

Richard321 likes this.