1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by theaymes, Apr 10, 2018.

1. theaymes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I'm Amy and I guess that I should introduce myself. I've recently realized that I am an ace lesbian and am just looking to interact with other people in the community. I'm 21 and a senior in college studying math & CS. I'm not really out to a lot of people (I can't imagine what my parents reaction would be other than not good). I like science-fiction and fantasy media (books, movies, tv shows, etc.). I'm not really sure what else to say, sorry!

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

3. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC! People here are friendly and helpful, so I’m sure you’ll be able to meet and interact with a lot of people. What are some of the sci-fi and fantasy books/movies/shows/etc that you like?

4. theaymes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I watch a bunch of TV (so much TV) - I watch all the superhero shows on the CW (Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, Black Lightning, Arrow, Supergirl), most of the Marvel shows out there, the Librarians, Travelers, Supernatural, Killjoys, Dark Matter (though I think it got cancelled?), the Expanse, Wynnona Earp, Shadowhunters, Doctor Who, and definitely some stuff I'm forgetting. (I haven't seen Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, which I know are both pretty popular) I also love Star Trek and also enjoy Star Wars.
    I also love reading but due to school I've haven't kept up with books as much (though I read a fantasy book called Uprooted this summer and LOVED it).
    What about you?

5. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I don’t watch a lot of TV, but there are some shows that I want to check out when I eventually get Netflix (it probably won’t be for a few years though).
    As far as movies, I’ve watched Passengers, one of the more recent Alien movies, Life, The Martian (not super recent but I still loved it), a few X-Men movies, and the Star Wars movies.
    I’ve also been kind of busy with school and getting things sorted out, so I haven’t read as many books as I usually do, but some of my (not necessarily recent) favorites are The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, The Martian (I know it’s a repeat, but I liked the movie and the book), 1984, and the Martian Chronicles. I did recently pick up the first two books in the Expanse series, so I’m looking forward to reading those.
    I’ll be sure to check out the shows and book that you mentioned, as I’m always looking for recommendations.
    Another quick question: What thing(s) do you usually look for in a fantasy/sci-fi book?

#5 callistia, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. theaymes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh, I love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series! I also have the first Expanse book somewhere and am planning to read it (like all the other books I am planning to read lol).
    I typically look for sci-fi/fantasy books that have interesting plots and that don't seem to emphasize romance. I also don't like books to be too dark/gritty, typically. I read a lot of middle school/young adult books actually in these genres too (partially for these reasons). For example, I loved the Ender's Game series, which did have some romance but it wasn't the focus.
    What do you look for in a book?

7. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely have to agree with you about the interesting plots. Some books just seem to be the same plot with some changes, so I'm hooked whenever a book has a unique, interesting plot that makes sense. I also look for books with characters who are dynamic and seem to come to life. Even if the plot is interesting, I probably won't keep reading if the characters don't feel like they could actually exist. I usually don't like romance as the main plot, but I'm fine with it existing as long as the main plot is good. I don't necessarily require it of every book that I read, but I tend to pick books that involve space travel/exploration (probably because I can't explore exoplanets in a spaceship, so I'll just have to experience it through fiction instead).
    You've also reminded me of my recent discovery of the Ender's Game series. I read Ender's Game about a year ago and loved it, but I didn't realize that it was a series until a while ago, so I'll have to pick up the other books soon.
    Which fantasy/sci-fi universe would you want to live in (you can pick more than one if you want)?

8. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Amy! Welcome to EC!

9. theaymes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for welcoming me, BothWaysSecret!

callista, I loved the Ender's Game series, but it does get a little weird along the way. Also the books that follow Ender's Shadow aren't necessarily very 'science-fiction' but I still enjoy them (I love Bean, so).
    I would want to live in the Star Trek universe because in so many fantasy/sci-fi universes the actual societies aren't that nice (there are so many dystopian sci-fi books). In Star Trek, you could go and be in Starfleet and have a really cool adventure and do science, but you could also live on earth and live in what seems to be an idyllic world, so that would be amazing as well. I'd also love to go to Hogwarts (but not when Harry Potter was there--to often the whole year gets off track and learning postponed because of some altercation between Harry and Voldemort), though I wish the school had more safety protocols tbh.

10. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Believe it or not, I actually haven’t seen any of the Star Trek movies. I’ve heard great things about them from others (including you), so (hopefully) I’ll eventually see them.

11. theaymes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should definitely watch them if you have the chance, callista!
    What fantasy/sci-fi world would you want to live in?
    Also, are there any characters that you especially love?

12. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like a lot of the worlds in the books that I read. I’d say that I would probably go with Star Wars, but (like in a lot of books) there’s a pretty large conflict that I don’t necessarily want to get involved in or be greatly affected by if I can help it, so that’s probably not the best choice. Maybe then I’d pick The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy as long as I could actually get off of Earth before it’s destroyed and then just explore.
    As far as characters, I liked Ender and Bean, Mark Watney, and I just generally liked The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy characters since they made the story even more interesting and hilarious. I know there are more, but my mind is blanking right now, so I’ll go with that list.
    How about you? Are there any characters you love?

13. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all