1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else LOVE "Love, Simon" ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ghost93, Mar 18, 2018.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. If by "masculine" you mean "non-flamboyant" isn't that a good thing? Don't we want to break the stereotype and show the world that not all gay men are flamboyant?

2. There are non-straight people of color in the film.

2. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was asking if Simon had been a gay Hispanic teen or a gay Black teen, would the perception been different. Or if he was a poor gay White teen or whatever

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ultimately, when it comes to Simon's race and SES, that doesn't come down to the movie. That comes down to the book and the author. The portrayal makes it clear that Simon is an average, white guy who also happens to be gay. Perception may have been different, but look at Bram. And Bram was even more seen in the movie than he was in the book at points. People don't care about Simon because he's white or because he's upper middle class, people care because they can relate with his experience which is what it's really all about.

And while not movies, Adam Silvera specializes in YA books about gay teens of color and Adam has been making headway in the YA world, especially with his most recent book and his upcoming collaboration with Simon's author, Becky Albertalli.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just saw it yesterday with my fiancee. I liked it much, much better than Call Me By Your Name, and I think it's a better step in the right direction. The story is very rich, as are each character. I even found myself finding the "villain" pretty entertaining, which is a first for a LGBT movie.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I waited a long time and went to the late showing tonight as I knew I'd be the only one in the theatre. I really enjoyed the movie, though I was surprised at how different was from the book. With that said, it left me feeling pretty down about myself as I knew it probably would, and I realize that's probably not a normal reaction.

A few people have mentioned crying in the various threads about this movie, but I managed to avoid it. There were three spots where I could have easily broken down though, and I expect that they're different from everyone else.

The first was when Leah said something to the effect of ”I'm not casual. I'm one of those people destined to care so much about one person that it will almost kill me." I've liked more than one person (without any reciprocation), but that's definitely me. I don't jump from person to person; I invest absolutely everything I have into whoever I care about the most until I'm left an empty shell.

The second was when Simon had the emotional conversation with his mother a while after he came out and asked her if she knew. It wasn't a happy/sad thing because he had acceptance and so much love (though I thought that scene was very touching), but rather when she said ”You deserve to get everything that you want." I won't. I put that thought aside sometimes and try to ignore it, but I honestly don't believe I'll ever find any sustained happiness. I think I'm meant to go through life alone, with the exception of my family. No friends, no love. Irrelevant to the world.

Finally, when Blue tried to end things and Simon pleaded, only to have his email returned by Gmail. For nearly two years I've been basically in love with this boy I only know online and that is one of the most overpowering fears I've ever had. There's no negative feelings between us or anything, but our relationship has deteriorated so much over the past few months and I feel like I'm on borrowed time with him. I honestly don't know how I'll function if I don't have him in my life, but I also don't know how I can handle being less than I used to be, someone he has no affection for. I know that's very different from what was happening in the movie, but that really got my mind going at about a million RPM.

Anyways, I know I'm a sappy, emo mess right now, but I just wanted to write down my thoughts.

6. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am seeing this tomorrow. Going for a coffee beforehand and then a pizza.

Cant wait :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You'll love it! It's a good movie.

8. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just saw it finally! It was so cute and so REAL and reeeaally hit home 4 me in my very closeted days like wow I really felt what Simon went through and that feeling of anxiety

#28 18breanna, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same that part had me WREAKED. I don't have the same experience as you, but I have an online friend group I rely on a lot, so to see Simon's support, his only crutch in that moment lost to the anonymity of cyberspace...that just killed me. I'm always acutely aware of how easy it would be for people I know online to just delete every account associated with them and never cross my path ever again in my lifetime, and losing them forever unceremoniously like that would be so sad

#29 18breanna, Apr 23, 2018
  10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it's pretty terrifying honestly. I don't think I've ever lost someone in a hostile way like that who just deleted me, but in some ways having it be a more drawn out thing can be more painful. Losing people you care about is the absolute worst thing in the world.

11. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cant wait to read all these spoilers...

What secrets are you keeping from me!?!?!? :scream: :sweat_smile:

#31 Blast, Apr 23, 2018
  12. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    mwa ha ha

13. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's most definitely my new favorite movie.
    Also, when Leah was hurt that Simon didn't come out to her first, I was hit reallly close to home. My best friend had a similar reaction when I came out to her. Everything Simon said during that scene felt so real to me.

#33 illbehere, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. oranger

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They should make a love,simon type movie for girls
    hey

15. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a sequel book that follows Leah from Love, Simon as she tries to come out as bisexual. Haven't read it yet, but I hear she gets involved with someone we already know from the movie.

The book is called "Leah on the Offbeat"

#35 BothWaysSecret, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  16. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being outside of the US, I watched it online. It was good. A little corny at parts. Definitely has the Rom-Com - chick flick aspects to it. A good movie with a cute but somewhat unrealistic ending.

I'm trying to recall the name of the Rom-Com movie that had letters going back and forth. Was it The Notebook or Message in a Bottle? I've actually seen a few of those movies (turns in man card).

It's nice to see a positive gay movie played in mainstream movie theaters.

17. Generic Potato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    honestly i thought the movie overall wasnt that great but it did have a big impact on me. it made me really happy to see a same-sex romance represented so normally. most teenage gay films that i have seen portray the gay characters according to stereotypes. simon was just normal. the best thing about it though was hearing people i work with who arent gay talk about the movie and how they enjoyed it and were moved by it. it made me feel really happy and accepted. you bet i watched it online two nights in a row.

18. xxAveryxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i think it's an amazing movie! unfortunately, i couldn't watch it in the cinema since it's r21 in my country :frowning2:. at least i got to watch it online though! the book was really good too.

19. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haven't seen it yet, but plan to. I'm on the waiting list at the library for it.

20. Saphael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I couldnt handle myself