1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did She Say Something Wrong?!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bulbul, Mar 14, 2018.

1. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So below is a clip from the 2005 movie "The Family Stone" starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Diane Keaton, in this scene, SJP's character is having dinner with her boyfriend's family, her boyfriend's brother, who is gay is also joining them, along with his partner, she states that no mother should Wish for her son to be gay, which provoked a strong reaction from her boyfriend's family.

If you were sitting on that table, would you be offended too?

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I would be offended.

First off, it might not have been her intention to insult anyone, but regardless of that, what did she say in front of these people was just plain stupid. She clearly didn't think much before speaking. Saying something like that in front of his parents, what reaction did she expect? That they would just nod and say something like: "You're right. We wish our son was different. It's so unfortunate that he is who he is." ?
    Anyway what's the point of even saying that to them? It's something that won't change. And she indirectly called their son abnormal (especially with the sentence about a normal child), and that itself is really insulting.

I didn't know the movie before watching this scene. But after reading some info about it, I think it's safe to say that it was just pure ignorance and disrespect behind her behavior, not intolerance. She completely ignored all the signals coming from others and indicating that it's clearly uncomfortable for them. Instead she kept talking, even after being told "that's enough". Just this behavior is easy to offend someone.

On the other side, maybe the parents overreacted a bit. But I still do get it why they were angry.

3. smurf

I think the anger in that context has less to do with what was actually said and her character just bulldozing through their whole lives (if I remember correctly). Their family's first preoccupation was to stand up for their kid. They didn't care about debating whether she was right or not, but they were mad at her audacity to make the son feel uncomfortable.

For the phrase itself, I think when said and talked about between a group of people that love and support each other then its not that offensive. Most families want the easiest path in life for their kid and most parents wish their kid wasn't gay not because they view gayness as bad, but because it is tough as hell. Its tough for everyone involved.

All that being said, if a stranger comes into my house and tries to have that same conversation then I'm going to tell them to shut up because in order to have that conversation with me and my family, you must earn the right.

I am more curious to learn where the question came for you. How do you feel about it? What prompted you to post it?

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I think it looks like a great movie. I'm not into SJP because I didn't like Sex and the City, but after seeing that clip I will watch out for it. I think it will educate a lot of people. And it looks like a mix of deep drama with comedy within it. And SJP looks to be a great actress.

As for what the character played by SJP said in the clip, well she didn't realise she was causing offense. And as for the table banging response on the third repeat, well wow that was brilliant - especially coming from what appeared to be the father. The whole family was supportive of LGBT, so wow. How rare is that? I want to see that movie.

#4 Richard321, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bulbul....That would be one of the worst things that could be said...insulting both the mother (parents) and the guy at the same time. In a situation like that I would have very politely said something like: "It's such a shame that you aren't able to finish dinner with us. Let me get your coat and show you to the door." Sometimes a quite response like that has far greater impact than anger. It says that the offending person is not important enough to even get angry at or that the offensive person must be lacking in either intelligence or social grace so they are no longer welcome. A great way to teach someone a lesson not soon forgotten!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: