1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News [UK] Resturant owner intimidates gay couple for kissing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Blast, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The homophobic owner of a resturant in Leicester UK intimidated a gay couple after they kissed eachother over a Valentinse meal. After sending his wait staff immediately over to ensure there was no more affection between the couple, Mr Rana stood over the couple claiming his resturant was “family friendly”.
    The couple left immediately.

Mr Rana has since said that he is “very upset” that the couple shared this incident on social media instead of coming to him with their complaint. As if they would want to see this man ever again in their lives!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-43111920

#1 Blast, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bitch, Please! This is the worse excuse for damage control I've ever seen. I wonder what would've happened had he been sincere and the couple actually came to him. Glass in complimentary dish? Pig's blood a la Carrie?

I feel for the couple. I'm glad they had good sense to leave. But, honestly, could he not already tell going by their body language? Or, did he just happen to catch them during the kiss?

[​IMG]

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is insane how some straight people get so offended over simpler stuff like this.
    I could see it if the guy had his bf bent over the table, but a kiss?!?!

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Horrible. There is no excuse for discrimination.

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The owner has perhaps realised that he is on shaky ground from a legal perspective too.

6. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It says "Mr Rana said he treats all his customers equally". Clearly he doesn't, he should have told the homophobic customer to deal with it.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found that Google reviews and other internet based review apps do wonders in "getting the word out" about such places. One negative review I left for a business went viral. (the company was selling poor quality auto parts)

8. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hmm, as a thought experiment i wonder if it might be better, paradoxically, if bigots were allowed to openly be bigots... This man could then make his restaurant bigot central... He could have a sign that says, "no gays", or else, "no expressions of gay love tolerated here", depending on his degree of intolerance. Then people could choose whether or not to frequent his restaurant. I wonder then if he'd change his ways when his clientele drops in numbers and quality... We've come a long way since customers would just accept bigoted owners and even hold the same views as him.

Although, I wonder what Mr Rana would think and feel if he went to a restaurant and he was treated in a lesser way because of some group identity that he might have...

And say that he did maintain his clientele numbers but the quality of his clientele dropped, well that would be fun to see, too...

Of course, that isn't going to happen, but it would be interesting to see. It's probably happening in Russia right now, though.

9. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't surprise me that this happened in Leicester ... there's no politically correct way to say this but its one of the cities in the UK where the white British is a minority. Its a different culture there to the rest of the UK - alot of the women are 'covered' up and PDA even between straight couples is tutted at sometimes. I personally wouldn't want to hold hands there.

I don't think this making the news will damage this mans business at all due to the city his restaurant is in.

10. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You make a good point there. I have heard similar of Leicester. Hmm, so, what might be better is for large LGBT groups to frequent his premises rather than for people to boycott it. Then he'd have to get used to a different culture.

11. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do think you are right about having large groups turn up... but then they would have to buy his food and drink - so its a financial win for him.

12. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But if his restaurant is busy anyway... Get in there first and book up. And it wouldn't have to be big LGBT groups / LGBT friendly groups booking. It could be 3 or 4 separate tables of two people. Sufficient to give support should the need arise. And not to make it obvious that LGBT people and LGBT friendly people are booking. For example, friends could go as couples on two tables and partners could go on two other tables.

13. Mali Mali

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Horrible!

I really hate when gay and "family friendly" are used as two things that don't go together. What about children that grow up with gay parents? Do they live in family unfriendly families? Or what about gay children? Are they making their families family unfriendly?