1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT parents problem!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Clydo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Clydo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi I'm Clyde!
    I'm 16 and I have two lovely mothers, but i have a small problem.
    My moms are polish and I really want to go there. I like this country and I want to improve my polish. I'm going to be in polish school next year, but i heard that they're not used to that kinds of famillies in this country.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. Should i be honest with my future classmates? I really want to but maybe it's not safe?

Maybe there are some poles that will help?
    Or someone had similar problem?

Wesley007 likes this.
  2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Poland is a fairly conservative country, so you will need to think very carefully about this. My best advice would be to settle in and try to make friends and then use your best judgement. Maybe test the reactions of people first by talking about LGBT issues in very general terms.

As part of the European Union, Poland will have to liberalise and come up to the same standards as other member states, but it's a process that may meet some resistance. Even so, it does give you a talking point and way in to a conversation about LGBT issues. Most of Poland's conservative thinking is shaped by the Catholic faith, but we must remember that Spain, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland are predominantly Catholic countries that have legalised same sex relationships and marriages (another talking point for you perhaps?).

Approach the subject with care and don't reveal too much, too soon. As trust and confidence builds you may be able to say a bit more.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree 100% and would say proceed with caution. I met a young Polish man in France this past summer. We compared notes on countries, mine Western USA. Everything was going very well until I told him about California's liberal life styles - example nude beaches along the coast. Well that was the end of that friendship.

Catholics in Poland....dont bet me going on that. Bad news if you ask me.

4. Aria123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I’m Danielle and I have a similar situation except I dunno how to come out to my parents about being bisexual, I’m 15 years old

5. Clydo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only

Thanks for your story. I decided to not tell anyone unless they prove that they are okey with LGBT families. I'm moving in june so i will have whole summer to meet people from new school. Hope my moms are okey with my decision.

Similar situation? So you have lgbt parents or polish/conservative parents? :slight_smile:

6. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Be carefull in poland, Hate crimes against LGBT individuals are rather common. It's a beautifull country, but it's very right wing in general, with a lot of people not tolerant to anything outside their believes and/or political ideals. Just keep those things in mind.

7. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in Poland, it's a big problem in countryside and smaller cities.
    In bigger cities, such as Warsaw, Kraków, Łódź or Gdańsk, the situation is far better, but still noticeably behind countries to the west...