1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Child abuse on a grand scale.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Jan 16, 2018.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't begin to understand how this can happen in such a neighborhood with houses close by. Out in the boonies yea. I feel so bad for the victims and can they ever recover and lead healthy lives? Sickening how people can be so cruel. How does someone end down that path of having so many kids only to starve and abuse them? So sad and disgusting :frowning2:

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel (theory) there's something more to the story. Why do I say this? Because the family took trips and vacations. OK then the whole family comes back and the kids are chained to their beds. There just seems to be a missing components.

This is control on a grand scale.

4. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can they do that to their children? I feel so sad reading this story. They don't deserve to be a parents.

5. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's just unbelievable. Those parents must have some serious screws loose to be capable of doing that to their own children. And the worst part of it is that those kids may never completely recover from the trauma of what was done to them. If there is a hell, I hope those parents are going to it.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read about this. The parents are some ugly people, inside and out. Thank goodness the 17 year old escaped so the police could be called.

What riles me up is why the neighbors didn't ask police to do a wellness check. They interviewed this neighbor who said something was off about the family. This could've been found out A LOT sooner than it was. I read when police came, the wife kept smirking. She didn't think it was a big deal so they must've been mentally ill.

#6 PlantSoul, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wouldn't the neighbors have noticed that the kids looked emaciated? I know I read someone said they looked pale. The intentional starvation had to have been going on for quite awhile because the 17 year old reportedly resembles a 10 year old instead! They have children as old as 29, and neighbors were shocked they had kids that old.

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm honestly surprised none of the children died.

9. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading between the lines from numerous news coverage, there's something going on here that is not reported. This is a clear case of control on a family scale. So how did it happen?

Clues:
    The neighbor saw the kids outside at night, 10, 11 pm, doing yard work.
    Kids were never seen outside during the day.
    The kids would be taken to Disney Land but what, come home and be chained to their beds?
    The kids would be taken to Los Vega for renewed wedding vows, and what not say anything in transit to others.
    They were from West Virginia and moved to California in 2014.

My thoughts:
    This is sinister and somewhat easy to get ones arms around - it's easy to understand. The physical facts are right there in our faces. But I do not think this is an isolated case of mind control. Look at Catholic priest who rape girls and boys. The children say nothing. Why not. Mind control?

10. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this kind of abuse happened at an early enough age, before the kids could develop a clear sense of right and wrong and strong personal boundaries, the kind of control their parents enacted would've seemed normal to them. We also have to consider that the parents likely engaged in other forms of abuse to maintain control. As scary as that sounds, it seems the most logical reason as to why the kids didn't try to escape sooner (of course that's assuming they didn't try before the 17 year old made it).

11. AlexTheGrey

I guess it depends on what you consider to be mind control? I call it psychological conditioning.

I agree there are some (potentially gruesome) details missing here, but I'm not really sure I can stomach those particular details, so I'll stick to the broader ideas. The reality is that the threat of punishment from someone who has power over us is surprisingly powerful, especially when you cannot simply escape. And it's not just kids vulnerable to it. If you can cultivate an environment where the abuser can punish the victim in a way that is genuinely threatening to them, and get the victim to believe that nobody will listen to them (true or not), you can encourage the victim to help isolate themselves on behalf of the abuser. Kids are uniquely vulnerable to it because so many aspects of their lives are out of their control, and the types of punishments/rewards they respond to aren't as nuanced as adults.

Elendil is on the right track here, I think. You've got a unique situation where the biological parents were the ones doing the psychological conditioning of their children. I am not sure I agree that its a case of implanting the conditioning before they could realize the conditioning was wrong. If that were the case, the 17 year old wouldn't have managed to bring in the police, IMO. It's more that as a child, your parents are the ones with ultimate authority over you. Even in society, we tend to back that up with the idea that it is the parents' right to raise their children however they see fit. We try to balance that with things like Child Protective Services in cases where the parents are crossing the line, but at the end of the day, we still assume the parents are in the right when dealing with their children. It leaves a hole for a particularly twisted abuser to have additional leverage over their victim, so long as it works to keep the victim quiet.

But really, this comes across as an application of what abusers do in order to keep victims quiet. The scale is just mind boggling because it is an extreme example of self isolation on the part of the victims, but it is also an extreme example of a power imbalance between the abuser and victim.

Honestly, when sexual harassment can happen in places of work and people go "I had no idea!" in response to the truth coming out, I can't find too much surprise that abuses of power can happen in the privacy of the home and neighbors will react the same way. What leaves my jaw on the floor is that some people are willing to do this to their own flesh and blood.

#11 AlexTheGrey, Jan 17, 2018
  12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm honestly shocked that none of the neighbors saw anything. I have a feeling that the children were kept in these conditions from the day they were born and that they simply didn't know any different. Parent/child relationships can be complex like that, and the element of control that a parent has over the child (even as adults) can be hard to break. It's just sad all around.

13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is basically what happened to me when I was ~14 / 15 and why I was unable to reflect on my sexuality. How? I was never taught about homosexuality. Then as time went by, I was incapable of cognitive process (if thats what its called) to reflect on human intimacy. (I'm leaving out major portions of details.)

This happened to me. In a indirect way, I call it indirect and proxy psychological abuse, I was threatened big time.

This story gives me the shakes. Why. Because to some degree I can relate to it so well.

#13 brainwashed, Jan 17, 2018