1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Roydavid, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Roydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "the only thing to fear is fear itself" Franklin D Roosevelt.

It's amazing how debilitating the fear makes me every time I have tried to do something for my Gay self. How many times throughout my life I have gone out intending to go to a gay bar and walked by it several times trying to muster to courage to walk in. I remember when I was younger probably around 20 I wanted to buy a gay newspaper. They were in coin operated boxes on some street corners in town . I walked all around to figure which was the least trafficked corner. Then I must have walked by the newspaper vending machine a dozen times around midnight looking all around before I was able to finally able to buy it.
    I am much older now and have been in gay bars from time to time through the years and yet I still need to overcome my fears before I can walk in. Once I walk in I feel such a great sense of relief and pride, first for overcoming my fear and second for being in a Gay bar .

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Zen fix and Wesley007 like this.
  2. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thats cool that you're able to do things more with confidence and admitting where you have trouble. I too am having some trouble with fear but mine is different :frowning2:

Hillary B likes this.
  3. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me too mine is different: it's about giving expression to my genderfluidity - the female side ie giving expression to the woman in me. But good luck taking in yr 'fears.

4. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ps I meant to say taking on but said taking IN yr fears - and I rather like that. . Why not: take your fears inside yourself to conquer them?

5. butterfly1

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Here's one I thought of when I read the opening post.

"I once knew a man who said that when fear smiled at him, all he could do was smile back."
    (Maximus in the movie Gladiator)

Just thought I'd share this.

Roydavid and Wesley007 like this.
  6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fear has been a part of my life since i was a child, really ruled me for a very long time. one day a senior officer and i were chatting in the mess, and fear came up. he'd been in the first gulf war, and was soon to deploy to Afghanistan so this was around 2004. i asked how he managed his fear in those places, he looked at me for a while, then he told me what his dad said to him when he went to the gulf, "Fear has two meanings, Face Everything And Run; or Face Everything And Rise" run if you have to but rise when you can. he smiled and finished his beer, "keep rising Sub-Lieutenant ___________, keep rising. patted me on the shoulder and left. i'll never forget him.

Keep Rising all.

7. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine is sort of like that.
    Rise like a phoenix fall like an angel. :slight_smile: gives some kind of prespective of how i am. I raise hell lol.