1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Attorney General Jeff Sessions Rescinds Cole Memo

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know I'm a few days late, but this actually made me angry beyond belief. The Trump administration promised that they'd let states decide the future of marijuana, and the administration also said they are okay with medicinal marijuana. This was probably the only issue I actually saw eye-to-eye with Trump, but here we go again with the administration going back on their promises. The attorney general went back on his promises, which will (hopefully) negatively impact Republicans in the future.

Marijuana has reduced DUI cases in Colorado, reduced opioid usage, and has generated hundreds of millions in tax dollars that has been going to fund important government programs (like education). It's also reduced the usage of marijuana among teenagers. Since people no longer relied on the black market, teens have had a harder time obtaining the substance, which ultimately led to its decreased usage. It's been proven time and time again to be safer for overall health, less addictive, and less impairing than alcohol. Yet, the government still decides to look into the best interests of pharmaceutical industries and private prisons.

And here we are taking one step forward and two steps backs.
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politics/jeff-sessions-cole-memo/index.html

2. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand you standpoint, but as someone who lives in Colorado, I hate the legalized weed law. People move here, just for the marijuana. Now that sounds good for economical reasons, but it has increased the homeless ratio exponentially. Also, there are weed shops on literally every block, and (not to be prejudiced) there are far more shady people on the streets.

Since weed is still illegal on the national level, the money cannot go to the school system. It would be considered laundering. Also, as someone in the school system, I can promise you that our district has not seen a penny of that money. Whenever we get money, it is a huge deal, and not a word has been said or done.

Best wishes,
    Nate

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interesting, didn't know that fact. Although, to me, that just gives me a better reason to legalize at the national level.
    Regardless, I'm still very much looking forward to it being legalized in my state

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty ironic that an attorney-general who promised to uphold federalism, to the extent of not supporting civil rights through federal laws where states are undermining them, is overriding state law on moral grounds to ban marijuana.

5. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, it’s like anything else, like alcohol. It has its ups and downs.

Well, I’m sure it will come to Illinois soon! You’re not in for a long wait:grin:

Cordially,
    Nate

6. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's true. Unlike what some people may believe, marijuana does have a few downsides. My main point mostly stems from the fact that alcohol is a constitutionally protected right, whereas marijuana is punishable with prison time in many states despite what science tells us

7. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now, that is complete crap. It’s much safer than alcohol, for one, and it’s blown out of proportion. The fact that people receive jail time for this is ridiculous.

#7 Naters2000, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of money is going to schools although it looks like more to rural areas. I'm curious for a source of it being considered laundering and not being used in schools and other public benefits. Sounds like your school needs to apply for the BEST grant money which includes weed taxes. Laws can be changed to distribute the money differently or change how much of the tax goes to schools if people want to push for that.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/colorado-marijuana-schools_n_6888444.html

Sessions is a dishonest, hypocritical, prejudiced pos. Weed should be scheduled the same as alcohol and tobacco, definitely not schedule 1. If you look at the history of it becoming illegal you'll find nothing but racism, lies and dirty politics. It's not even addictive like alcohol and tobacco, doesn't cause anywhere near the cases of negative health effects and people don't die from weed overdose like they do every day from alcohol and actual hard drugs. I've never had a hangover from weed, actually it's good medicine for hangovers. POC are arrested for weed possession at 4-8 times the rate of white people even though whites use it at a higher rate. This is part of the scheme to keep people from voting and "in their place." Look at the big money that opposes legalization, pharma, alcohol and the for-profit prison industries and it's not because they think it's harmful to society, it's just harmful to their greed. If it was legal nationwide you wouldn't have people flocking to CO or other legal states. It would generate revenue for states and reduce money wasted on arresting and prosecuting weed users. Drug dealers offer more than weed so if people buy weed legally they have less access to the other stuff. One issue is accurate testing for the true level of impairment since simply having THC present in your body only means you've ingested some in the past month or so.

I hope this bs from Sessions pushes congress to fix the gross scheduling error and allow states to legalize weed as it always should have been. Hopefully once that happens companies will stop the ridiculous pre-employment testing for it. It makes no sense that someone who gets drunk nightly and is hungover most days has no problem passing the drug test, but someone who used weed once, two weeks ago fails the test.

https://qz.com/645990/nixon-advisor...iminalize-black-people-and-the-anti-war-left/

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you guys smoke weed? And if so how often?

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice try, officer.

11. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol! Medical marijuana is legal in AZ (Arizona). Many of, ok a lot, of the younger set have their medical cards which allow them to buy legally.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My interpretation of Sessions maneuver is much deeper. The clue came when he said marijuana leads to heroin use. The facts simply do not show this and if this was the case tens of millions of people in the US would be looking for a fix. This is not the case.

So why would Sessions, an attorney, who is trained to look at facts cite an untrue fact? Why does he demonize marijuana. My guess is he does not like it. He is a good old "southern white boy" steeped in conservative religious dogma so prevalent in the Southern Baptist South.

If Sessions and VP Pence had their way they'd be hanging faggots from tree limbs again and burning Christian crosses in black neighborhoods.

#12 brainwashed, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you study alcohol prohibition in the US in the 20s, alcohol was actually VERY easy to obtain. Children could get and often drank alcohol easily. How, why? Because it was easy to get and it's distribution could not be controlled. The Christian demonize it social model simply did not work. Prohibition also added a criminal element which was played out in the form of violence on American streets. Hollywood picked up on this violence in early films.

Sessions knows all of this. So why does he do what he does? He's basically a Puritan - Southern Baptist thinker.

14. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol it would not surprise me if Sessions went after gay marriage next. He could argue homosexuality causes pedophilia. We've got to protect Americas child against child molesters.......which started out as gays.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't saying marijuana is bad or that is shouldn't be legalized. I was just wondering if you guys smoke weed or not. And if you do how often?

16. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually Andrew your question is fair.

I do not smoke weed as a general rule. When friends bring it out on special occasions I may have a toke or two. I really do not like taking in smoke into my lungs mainly because I'm an exercise freak and I need my lungs operating on 100% for the long haul.

"Friends" have turned me onto edibles. Mainly idigo strain. I liked the high for it actually helped with body pain. Body pain? Yup from all the exercise. The edible actually helped a bit with anxiety and depression caused mainly from dealing the teen abuse I sustained in my mid teens - beat up, made to stand naked and whipped, etc. Some gay teens did not have an easy time of things when I was in my mid teens. (this can also be the case today, mainly in the South)

Another set of friends and I were just talking about marijuana and alcohol last Monday. We talked about using these substances recreationally as a break, very much like taking a vacation and using them as a life crutch. Problems arise when people use substances as a life crutch. I had a friends mom get addicted to opioids prescribed by her doctor. This caused a very bad time for the lady. The doctors loved the $$ from the office visits.

Later man. Be safe.

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sessions is deep in the pockets of for-profit prisons. They are keeping people in literal people cages and making money off of it. Then they convince the public that it's somehow for the greater good. It is truly fucked up.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't think that's true.

It's fair to say he is ideologically wrong on a fundamental level, which I think is true, and that his ideological bearings are conducive to overimprisonment. But he has a fairly minimal history in the last 10 years of accepting prison companies' donations - none of his major donors throughout his Senate career were prison companies or major shareholders in prison companies. He is certainly not in their pockets - it is genuine conviction that drives his push to limit access to drugs and over-criminalise consumption. And that has to be dealt with in a completely different way.

19. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interesting, perhaps I've been dealt a misleading representation on his motives. Regardless, he's just another perfect example on how the Trump administration lied to the American people and went back on their word.