1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remember feeling good when you're going through a bad patch?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Questions93, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys,

Anyone have any suggestions on reminding yourself of when you have felt good (or at least ok) during the times when you're at you lowest?

Every now and again i might have a few moments when i actually start thinking about things i want to do with my life. Things i want to achieve. I feel motivated and like i can deal with all or at least some of my problems. I start making plans.

But then the next day, or even just a couple hours later everything falls to crap. I'm back to feeling like nothing is ever going to get better, and no matter how much i try to remind myself about the positive thoughts i had, it doesnt work. They just dont apply to me anymore.

So ye.... Does anyone have any advice on how to hold on to this positivity or motivation at least for a couple days so i can just start getting myself back together?

2. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can i just add; i have tried writing things down which i do look over every now and again. But when im feeling low, it doesnt really give that feeling of motivation to get up and do something. It may as well just be words that anyone wrote down.

3. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I take the competitive approach.
    When shit just piles up on top of more shit, I think about how good that problem is gonna look mounted on my wall when I destroy it. I think about BEING the guy that survived when it's all done.
    It's not a mindset you can keep up for long periods of time, but I find it helpful for, as you say, pushing through to make real progress.

J4yy likes this.
  4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me...music has played a vital part with a lot of good times in my life. Even though music has had an impact with my bad times however, it played a very major factor within my life for the better part. Therefore, when I am going through a bad patch, I can go into my dining room which consist of my entire music library and I can pick a CD and immediately an awesome memory comes to mind and this helps me to not focus on the bad.

J4yy and Kodo like this.
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you don't mind me asking, what are the things you would like to achieve and/or do in your life? Is there something you would like to achieve at the moment?

One of the things that could help in getting things started and also keeping the motivation to continue working on the achievements is to divide your larger goals into smaller ones. As you achieve the smaller goals (and it doesn't really matter how small they are), it starts building motivation not only in that moment when you achieve it but also for starting to tackle the next smaller goal. This in turn will help you to maintain the positive thoughts and feeling as well. Over time, and as you continue working on the smaller goals, you will accomplish what you set out to do.

Another thing that could help is to ask a friend to 'check in' with you from time to time, and have them ask you where you are at with achieving your goal - which creates accountability, and which in turn can help you to keep motivated with working on things. The 'check-in' could be as simple as a text message, or it could even be a get together with that friend where you talk about what you did or ave achieved up to that point - no matter how how much it is (that is if you feel comfortable doing this). One of the things that has worked well for me in the past, when I wanted to accomplish something, is to set myself some (achievable) deadlines, and then share what I have done with a couple of people or even just one person.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  6. TaintedOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember this period of my life. Guess i was burned out on my job. After few tries i just stopped carring and went with the flow.
    When i found new place to work everything turned normal.

7. kakyo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i write down goals,resolutions, regularly.
    i revisit what i have written to remind myself. constantly
    watch a lot of positive and encouraging content.
    listen to positive playlist.
    vent and try to think of way forward with achieving the goals.
    try to forgive yourself for when you fail so you dont end up depressed.
    keep as positive as you can, its not easy keeping positive . its work but its worth it.
    in the end you will be happy and achieve your goals happily and affect everyone around you positively.

8. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all fpr the suggestions, i will try these and see if any in particular work for me.

Just random things really. I want to do some crazy ultra marathon race thing at some point. Something that not many people do. I just want to be able to be happy with something i have done. And then other things like i want to be good at my job. (Or more to the point, i want to believe myself that i am good enough).

If only it was that easy :frowning2:

I will try the rest as well though. Thanks :slight_smile: