1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by HerRainbow, Nov 14, 2017.

1. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As some of you may already know, I am gearing up towards becoming a primary school teacher. I have been doing work experience in a school since the end of June and I can honestly say that although it can be challenging sometimes, it's lovely to have the responsibility of teaching children concepts and ideas and be rewarded for doing so.

But I have a huge sticking point which is part time. After I do my postgrad training for a year, I would like to teach part time about 3 days a week. I have been looking into PT vacancies and there are only a small amount available nowhere close to where I live. Also, it seems like these posts are only avalilable to experienced teachers who have been working FT and want to switch to PT.

I have a number of health problems which means that I am ill in some way on a regular basis so PT would be the best option.

This might be a long shot but are there any teachers who have possibly worked part time and could share their experiences or anyone who could give me suggestions on what my options could be?

Really hoping I could get some replies as I am super stressed.

2. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Firstly, I’m not a teacher so don’t have specific experience or advice. However I see you are in the UK and I know that some medical conditions actually have the same protections as disabilities with employment rights. That’s a simplistic view and I don’t know all the ins and outs as never personally affected me, but I think employers have to give you options etc (reasonable adjustments is the term I think) to allow you to work effectively. Might be worth either looking online or speaking to a union if you are a member?

Edit: there is stuff on the citizens advice website and the government website, if you do an internet search about ill health and disability it should come up

#2 LittleMouse, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm not a teacher either, can any of your mentors in your studies give any advice? I have heard from some that the best thing is sometimes to do some supply teaching and get your name known in some schools and then If they like you they are more likely to be flexible in what they can offer you.

4. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm hoping to start uni next year so I don't have any mentors yet. And I don't want to ask any of the teachers I'm working with yet because I wouldn't want to give them the impression that I am a liability :frowning2: But supply teaching sounds like a good next step so I'll look into it.

5. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi thanks for your suggestions. I could give citizens advice a call to see what options are available and take it from there.

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you consider possibly teaching secondary or post-16? I have heard of part-time primary jobs, but as you say, I've not really seen them advertised that often. There are part-time secondary jobs available occasionally, particularly in shortage subjects. With secondary you can work part-time and still have your own classes. Would you be able to do your NQT year full-time? If you start as part-time you'll take longer than a year to fully qualify. It might be better to get a full year done and then look at part-time jobs, as I assume they'll involve class sharing, planning, etc., so it might be nice to have a year to find your own style. If all else fails, you'll just need to hold out for the right post. It will come up eventually! :slight_smile:

7. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I'm not sure I could handle secondary because it's more stressful with the behaviour management side especially. But yeah I will be doing my postgrad full time.

Well I hope so...for now I'll look into the ins and outs of part time even more and see where I go from there.

#7 HerRainbow, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @HerRainbow Haha...I hear that primary is a lot worse. That's from both primary and secondary teachers. I wouldn't want to have to get to work as early as my primary friends do.

Sorry, I meant could you work full-time in the year following your course? You won't be fully qualified until you've done a year in the job, so you'd take longer to complete that working part-time.

9. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's interesting...I wonder why that is. So are you a teacher?

It's a long stretch but I might be able to do full time afterwards. I honestly feel a bit more confused as to what my options are now.

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure there will be options. I wouldn't panic yet when you start your postgrad I'm sure they will be able to tell you more.

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the work load is bigger in primary. There's more preparation involved, you'll be teaching a lot of subjects to one class (where as in secondary you might get parallel classes, so have one set of planning for two classes), and all the other things, like planning nativity plays, etc., and the children are younger, so they're less independent.

Sorry, I hope I've not confused you too much. If you really want it, I'm sure it'll work out. :slight_smile:

12. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to clarify, you can do your NQT year part-time (people do), but you pass it in terms, so it's easier to do it full-time over one year, as that's three full terms. But, you can also do a term and essentially 'bank' it, take time out and come back to complete it at a later date. There's not currently a time limit on when you have to do your NQT year after qualifying, but you can only supply for five years (I think) after qualifying before you have to do the NQT year.

Best wishes. :slight_smile:

13. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not teacher and i don't really like kids or young people because i feel that them are dumbs (?) but if you want to teach them try with kid-friendly things, like teddies or colors, games, stories, that is the best for them.

14. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok thanks for the info on the NQT year. I may well have to just do my course and the NQT full time then see where I go from there. But I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

As of right now, I've just gone up to 3 days volunteering and I already have requests to go on 2 trips with classes.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation: