1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual harassment allegations

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Flowey, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Flowey

What a wild month, celebrities are being accused of sexual harassment left and right. What are your thoughts on this situation? Do you think this will change Hollywood in any significant way?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope things change, and not just in Hollywood. Why do we need to teach people to watch their drinks, so nothing is put in them? When will power and conquest stop being admired? I had a good orientation at the start of college on date rape & consent, and more recently learned about NoMore.org. We can hold each other to better standards of respect.

3. ladykiki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to think things will change, and as DecentOne said, not just in Hollywood. I hope that predators are seeing themselves reflected in the stories coming out, and that people will recognise what is predatory behaviour from normal and have the strength to stand up to it knowing that they will have the support behind them.

But yeah, if all these people coming forward stops even one person abusing a position of power, then that's got to be a good thing.

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this will bring much more awareness to the situation as opposed to not being able to support or better yet believe those individuals whom are the victims. However, in my opinion, there is not much validity to make these allegations of sexual harassment credible. For instance, those celebrities that are now speaking out about incidents that occurred many years ago are just that...allegations. There were no social media back in those days to support any allegations that were being made which results in your word against theirs. In other words...now that those celebrities who have decided after all of these years to speak out about their sexual assault...now what???? In my opinion there is not much or better anything that can be done.

5. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm actually glad that people are coming forward and exposing Hollywood for the cesspool that it really is underneath. Too many people in power use their position to take advantage of those who're backed into a corner. With hope we could start to see some changes; but I hate when people come forward to "expose" someone for being too friendly or raping someone, and DON'T say who they're talking about. It's like they're protecting them in a way.

6. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I'm glad that victims are finally being taken seriously and that people like Harvey Weinstein are finally getting the backlash they deserve.

But with so many allegations coming out about so many different celebrities I do wonder if some of them are made up. I'm sure most of the allegations are true, but it is slightly troubling that everyone is taking some of these allegations as 100% fact without any evidence. How do we know with certainty that some of these are just attempts to take down an actor that the person doesn't like?

It's a hard balance. You certainly don't want to make victims scared to tell their story. But at the same time, I don't think we should instantly punish people until the situation is investigated. In the cases of Harvey and Kevin its obvious they are guilty because of how they responded to the situation. But I do worry that somewhere down the line all accusations will be taken as fact without anything to back it up.

7. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's just some sort of self reflection and butterfly effect.

Also, in addition how as we advance in society, we don't accept things we used to in the past.

The casting couch horror stories have always been there.

It's just been kind of accepted or assumed in the past.

What people assumed was someone being nice or just paying their dues, was actually foul play shit going on.

It's also just a butterfly effect that causes everyone to come out and discuss this.

#7 Suomi, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Loves books

I get fed up of going on Facebook every day and it seems like three new allegations pop up. Is there really this magnitude of sexual harassers in entertainment. I wonder if the punishment for sexual crimes higher would it happen less. Because I hate that when I walk down a dark street alone I worry if I hear footsteps behind me.